Three ways out of this mess

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by rscherwin, Sep 28, 2021.

1. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Lafleur is the issue. Zach is not. Three ways out of this mess:
    1. Lafleur grows into the role and the offense grows with him.
    2. Lafleur does not grow into the role, the offense sputters, Saleh fires Lafleur and hires a quality, experienced OC to cover up for the head coach's offensive inexperience.
    3. Lafleur does not grow into the role, the offense sputters, and Saleh does not fire his personal friend. At this point, Joe Douglas cuts his losses short and fires Saleh.

In Lafleur we have an offensive coordinator who:
    1) Is inexperienced, has put his QB in harms way, and is not putting his QB in position to succeed.
    2) Puts his system over the team's talent. A sin. And dangerous in a young, inexperienced OC who has already shown he'll publicly disenfranchise 2 of the most talented assets who do not fit his system (Bechton and Mims). red lights flashing
    3) Got the job because he's a trusted friend of the head coach, who has no offensive coaching experience. And the press is filled with Saleh talking about Zach must be consistent, boring etc. But has NOT said a word questioning his inexperienced friend.

Hopefully, Lafleur learns fast and is far more humble behind the scenes. If not, Saleh will face a loyalty test soon. Hopefully Saleh chooses loyalty to the Jets over loyalty to his friend. If not, hopefully, Douglas handles it. If not, I'll be saving on NFL's Sunday Ticket.e

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan, PJ4Ever and 3 others like this.
  2. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

Only the NY Jets could make us fans think of firing a head coach and offensive coordinator 3 games into their regime and first season, but the OP makes a valid point. Things here are really this bad! From what I have seen so far, Adam Gase looks like Vince Lombardi next to this. The quotes coming out of our head coach saying "its round 1 of a 15 round boxing match" are so insulting to all of our intelligence it is sickening. His handling of Mims is turning some of us fans off already. I am one of those. This POS offense has scored 6 points in 2 games and he is benching a talented receiver that his rookie QB needs? It is worse than ever here with little to no chance of getting better anytime soon. Are they beating TN this weekend? LOL. No shot. Atl in Lon? No shot. The long trip and time difference will be a good excuse to use for their usual lack of preparation and execution. Hope I am wrong about all of this, and the 0-17 record I think we are headed for. As I say, I would love nothing more than to come here and post positive things about our team but that is never possible being a Jet fan.

3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

The worst thing about him being all in on his complicated system is...

[​IMG]

Where the fuck is the Shanahan offense instead of this hot garbage.

westiedog1 and blackssmagic like this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Telling Wilson to play 'boring' just doesnt sit well with me

I understand what they are trying to do there but thats the wrong message

AndyDrums, rscherwin, cval and 5 others like this.
  5. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

The shortest way is through. Give Lafleur and zach a chance to grow together.
    I still believe in these two despite starting 0-3. If we don't grow then at the end of the season I suspect Lafleur will go down like a sweet muffin.

rscherwin, Noam and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Hmm..I thought you were gonna say overdose, jump off a cliff, or handgun actually

7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

While system adjustments could help we need to trade for an offensive guard pronto.

SOJAZ, blackssmagic and barfolomew like this.
  8. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

A solid running game is a rookie QB's best friend- look no further than Mark Sanchez. I get that the game situation dictates the Pass V Run Ratio- but the goal this year is to develop Zach. He's going to end up getting killed and forming bad habits. Exactly what we did to Sam

Here is how clueless our OC is

Panthers Game
    37 Passes to 17 Runs----Sacked 6 times

Pats Game
    30 Passes to 24 Runs---Sacked 4 times

Broncos Game
    35 Passes to 13 Runs---Sacked 5 Times

Br4d, rscherwin, jixxjr and 4 others like this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

hard to run the ball when you are down early

10. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Point #3--Maybe someone else already said this, but Bowles had the same problem. Bowles is a good D coordinator, but he turned the jets defense over to his friend who was lousy. The guy Bowles had as a D coordinator was so bad his name escapes me now. But what good does it do to hire a D minded coach who turns the D over to a coordinator who doesn't know anything? As I recall Bowles' D coordinator got sick and missed 2 games, which the jets WON when he was gone. When he came back, the jets resumed losing under him. Bowles let his friendship get in the way of firing his coordinator. who was weak. Saleh better not let his friendship with his O coordinator come before the team because the results so far have been a disaster.

rscherwin, SOJAZ, PJ4Ever and 2 others like this.
  11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I have a really bad feeling about the Saleh/LaFleur relationship.

I've seen firsthand how nepotism can hurt an organization. Suboptimal performers are given immense leeway due to having familial or friendly relationships with higher ups. This, in turn, creates resentment among the rest of the staff because it eventually becomes obvious that someone only has a job because of the relationship, not merit. It's really bad for the culture and creates a ton of animosity.

It's also going to be really hard for Saleh to fire LaFleur if it ever comes to that. Their relationship is creating harmful and unnecessary conflicts of interest.

tomdeb, rscherwin, Since1969 and 3 others like this.
  12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I remember when Mike Florio said hiring LaFleur was a mistake because he will get a Head Coaching job too fast. Maybe he meant high school Head Coach.

Again, way too early to think Mike LaFleur can't figure it out, but if he continues to call horrendous games and gets Wilson killed, then it really will be an issue for the Jets. I can't see Saleh firing his friend mid-season or even after the first season. So we really just need for him to improve and quick.

rscherwin, REVISion and NYJetsO12 like this.
  13. RochesterJet

It is and the defense unusually stacks the front with a rookie QB, daring him to beat them. So it's a double edge sword of sorts, but keeps your young QB from getting killed.
    We must all realize this season was never about the W-L record and was all about developing Zach Wilson.

So playing from behind shouldn't really be taken into the equation with this team as the goal is developing Zach and keeping him healthy.

14. GasedAndConfused

they are still trying to win games. you can't run the ball 40 times when you are down big and just give up. that won't go over well with the other players or the fans

barfolomew likes this.
  15. RochesterJet

I agree man- from the looks of it they're not really trying to win games.

Dropping Zach back 30+ times a game is a recipe for disaster and will also burn out the Defense.

onefanjet, SOJAZ and barfolomew like this.
  16. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Our defense has performed admirably. But they will be gassed by game 8 if our offense cant figure something out.

17. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I think the issue is everyone needs to play better. The OL needs to block better, backs need to pick up blitzes better, wrs beed to run better routes and catch more balls, zach needs to try to do less and the coaches need to do better. Improve any of these and Zach's job gets easier. Slightly improve all of these and everyone gets better. It will take time. But, it can't get worse.

barfolomew and REVISion like this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

not if we keep the chains moving. we had several critical drops that killed drives. I went over a whole breakdown of what killed each drive. it was mostly drops and the o-line.

Noam likes this.
  19. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

Marry Joe Douglas
    Fuck Woody Johnson
    Kill hopes and dreams

BrowningNagle likes this.
  20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Find another team, that would be the quickest way out of this mess.

tomdeb, Yankee6, Jets69 and 1 other person like this.