Fire Lafleur

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Sep 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

because when we tried running it on 3rd or 4th and short we kept getting stuffed. our o-line doesn't get enough of a push. our IOL are all agile lineman not power lineman. the only Power lineman we have is becton. we do roll out quite a bit off PA. our bets bet on 3rd/4th and short is to spread out the defense and try and complete a quick short pass or hope zach can find a line to just take off and pick it up.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Maybe we should just punt on 3rd and short... :(

3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He is best friends with his brother.

4. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

We don't have to run it. We can pass it.

Adding a back not only makes the defense defend a potential run, but it adds an additional protector for Zach against the rush.

It's absolutely ridiculous that he is running with an empty backfield in these situations

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

LaFleur has to take a lot of the blame for things not working so far. But the OL - particularly Van Rotten - is like a free turnstile, and that's leading to Zach getting happy feet, and affecting his accuracy. Unless something is done there are only two outcomes: Zach gets seriously injured, or gets shell shocked as Darnold was.

But LaFleur isn't going to be fired three games into the season - and don't even waste a thought thinking Saleh will be (nor do I think he should be). In the short term, they need to step back and look at the evidence these three games have provided and come up with a game plan that's built on the things that work, and the things that might likely work based on that. Much more pre-snap movement, more plays designed to use Zach's mobility (while he stall has it!), more running plays even if they don't gain much yardage - you can't keep placing a neon sign out there that blinks "Pass play!" every down. And try some new things like putting Mims in, even if it rubs against your grain.

The NUMBER 1 thing whatever else happens is that Wilson learns and doesn't get seriously hurt or "Darnold'd". Everything else, including winning is a distant second. All things considered, Zach is doing well, but he's starting to show the effects of these other failures, and if they aren't fixed, then the NUMBER 1 thing is in real jeopardy.

Jets81, Brook! and Borat like this.
  6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Zach is already getting killed when the safety comes up. Look at the line up and coverage. Two deep safeties linebackers encroaching on the line of scrimmage. The only thing to do here is run the ball. Take what the defense gives you. This should have been a run to the left. Breaks one tackle it can have been 20+ yard gain. Just bad play calling.

#126 cval, Sep 27, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    Red Menace likes this.
  7. Falco21

Another reason....

We ran 3 screen plays against Denver. Three.

In fact, Conor Hughes mentioned it, but Saleh had previously said that the ability to run screen plays would help alleviate any initial issues wiht our offensive line. How's that panning out for Lafleur?

8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

It’s 3 games.

It would be a struggle so stop the nonsense. Of course everyone wishes they would play better but realistically thinking it would be such a smooth transition just isn’t thinking logically. Get back in the lab and work work work.

Red Menace and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He should be running screens every play.

10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Those stats are damning. Without competent O-line play we can't compete... it's really that simple.

All the other issues... drops.. crummy play design/calls... etc... are tertiary.

They need to fix the O-line... and fix it fast... the development & growth of the entire team depends on it.

Jets81, Borat, REVISion and 2 others like this.
  11. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

It's getting late early for the Jets on offense isn't it?! Again, I'm writing this in part from a frustrated fan perspective yet also from the removal of my usual rose colored Jets glasses that I wear 95% of the time. I don't get the games in my market, so only get what I read, highlights and commentary...The thing I keep reading from the beat writers, and I mean all of them, that scares the living daylights out of me is how many times I've read "Lafleur seems overmatched"...We just went throw this for the last two years, I don't think I can take another 2-3yrs of offensive ineptitude and failing another QB.

I know this is the way, way too early time to panic but literally nothing looks like it works on offense...which begs the question of, does the Shanahan offense only work when Kyle calls the plays or Rogers runs it? We were told when this CS was hired that they'd be smart and adaptive to using the talent on the team vs. the Gase approach which was the opposite. Through only three games, I haven't seen any signs that's the case...rookie QB or not...bad play calling, bad execution and bad use of whatever talent exists is no way to go through life...

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

So doing the replay and what i'm gonna post here is why drives stalled

Drive 1: started off good with a 11 yard completion on 1st and 10, then we ran a run play for 4 yards and a run play for no gain. on 3rd and 6 blocking was good. moore got wide open on a comback that would have went for 7 yards and a 1st but zach underthrew it

Drive 2: started off with a 4 yard run. on 2nd and 6 zach had an open TE on the drag route who probably picks up enough to make it 3rd and short. berrios and moore were covered 1 on 1. davis has 2 guys around him and he forces it to davis. then on 3rd and 6 is the play with the 3 WRs all next to each other. the o-line failed hard. a WR broke open too just as pressure got to zach. this one is a combo of the o-line and zach focring things to davis. we could have had a 3rd and 1 instead of a 3rd and 6.

Drive 3: (note at this point we are down 10 and the D has been on the field for way too long) we start off with a 2 yard run, and an easy completion to a TE for 4 yards making it 3rd and 4. we actually convert it on a diving catch from kroft. Zach is getting more easy rhythm quick throws. 7 yards to davis, followed by a 2 yard run then on 3rd and 1 we get 6 on a quick slant to davis and a new set of downs. we have a drive going here and are in denver territory. again easy pass on 1ts a quick swing pass to moore who picks up 5 yards with a nice move. then on 2nd and 5 hits the RB (carter) on the angle route who was wide open for the 1st down and probably a 15 yard gain or more. but he drops it making it 3rd and 5. Still on 3rd and 5 another easy pass to a RB ty johnson for 3 yards and he fights for more and gets the 1st after the catch. then it goes downhill more. 1st down is a run for 2 yards. 2nd down is a screen pass that loses 5. on 3rd and 13 zach gets flushed out of the pocket and makes a great throw downfield to davis who drops it in tight coverage. would have been 1st and goal from the 7. then we try a 56 yarder amendola nails it but delay of game and we are forced to punt. This one was killed by 2 big drops (carter and davis) along with a penalty for delay of game that cost us 3 points and would have made it a 1 possession game.

Drive 4: Defense does a good job holding them and they punt and we start the drive at our 33. good field position. on 1st down they rush 4 against 6 blockers. it actually looks like davis is very open over the middle but zach looks gun shy, AVT whiffs hard and zach steps up to avoid pressure and looks to take off which could have been a big gain but fants man came off of him and made a good play for a 1 yard sack. on 2nd and 11 can't see what the WRs are doing but protection is good. just seems liek nobody is open so zach throws it away. 3rd and 11 moses just gets beat and zach is sacked as he's winding up to throw. this drive is on the o-line with poor protection on 2 of the 3 plays and 1 play on the WRs not getting open. zach may have a little fault in being gun shy

Drive 5: we take over down by 10 with 50 seconds left inside our own 10. not a great spot to be in but hey we try and get some yards to get points. started with a good pass wilson to moore for about 13 yards. then there is a bad throw by wilson and coverage sack leading to 3rd and 16 so we just run it and almost picked up the 1st and then punt to end the half.

Now at this point it's only a 10 point game and we start with the ball in the 2nd half. nothing in the playcalls has really been bad. we cost ourselves a lot with drops, a few bad throws, bad protection, and a delay of game on a FG that negated 3 points. The gameplan was simple for zach. lots of quick throws to have him in rhythm. but overall it's a case of killing ourselves and not executing.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The lab isn't going to help Zach Wilson out right now. What he really needs is a breather to get some perspective and to let the OL gel.

What the OL needs to gel is somebody back there who has been through the grinder and knows what to do with the ball on most plays.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

it also doesn't spread the D as much and adds a potential extra rusher if the RB stays in to block as the LBer covering him can rush so it becomes a wash anyway

he's getting pressure but almost breaks away, if he does get away it's a huge play. or if the o-line held. it's a long developing play with extra protectors and our o-line gave out. that's how you hit big plays. either way I just did a full breakdown of what stalled each drive. it's not playcalling. every OC has a few bad calls here and there but overall the playcalling in the 1st half was good. still need to do the 2nd half

15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

He was on the ground when the receiver broke upfield..... Did you post this breakdown somewhere?

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It's too late now. The time to bench him was before the season started.

Borat likes this.
  17. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

They need to fix the GVR issue. That man is so grossly Incompetent that it doesn’t matter what everyone else is doing.

Jets81, Borat and REVISion like this.
  18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't think it is too late however it has to be handled right. The understanding with Wilson has to be that the reason the change is being made right now is that he is taking a beating and things are not getting better on the field. The change is a temporary thing that will likely last for a month or two as the offense gels and the line gets their act together. The plan is that he will be back on the field in November or December.

In order to make this work the Jets need to go find a competent veteran QB who can help with the installation of the new offense, mentor Wilson and White and then step aside gracefully when it is time to put Wilson back on the field.

REVISion likes this.
  19. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I don't know, I think it could be done if the messaging is clear that it's not because of Zach's play. That would take JD admitting he's botched the OL though which I don't think he's willing to do.

We're in the midst of a whole clusterfuck of career risk at the moment. Guys who deserve the blame won't take actions that indicate they've made huge mistakes. The worst unit on the team is entirely JD's making and our OC sucks but is the brother of Saleh's best friend. Good luck having accountability within this franchise.

20. Falco21

Fuck, the only reason I watch this team on Sunday is to see Wilson play.

I would have no fuckin reason to watch this shit show if they benched him.

What a fuckin disaster every year.

cval and Borat like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.