Fire Lafleur

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Sep 26, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

Last week, everyone complained there were no underneath easy routes for Wilson to dump off to, but on 2 INTs there was a clear open receiver on the underneath route. This week there were several plays that got guys open and they either dropped it or Wilson was off the mark, I feel bad for Lafleur man, doesn't matter what you dial up when the guys can't execute at all.

BrooklynJetsFan and Br4d like this.
  2. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

6 points in 2 games.
    That is extremely hard to do in the NFL.

REVISion and Falco21 like this.
  3. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Agreed. The execution has been abysmal. When Wilson gets the ball to the receivers, they drop it. On the other occasions, Wilson looks like he couldn't hit the ocean if he were standing on the beach. Does LaFleur have problems with his playcalling? Sure. But nobody is going to succeed calling this offense with the production the players are putting out there. If a receiver is open and the ball is delivered accurately to them, it's on the receiver. Likewise, if the receiver is open and the ball is fired straight at their feet or ten stories over their heads, that's on the QB.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is what you do with a rookie QB. You take the ball out of his hands on a lot of plays by either running or by giving him a fast one read play with no options.

I actually thought the Jets had exactly the right design on a lot of drives - with a 1st down pass that was a screen, slant, quick out, etc. Many of those plays were successful. They also ran on 2nd down a lot and got positive yardage there. The place things fell down was when they dropped Wilson back and made him read the field. On a lot of those plays he made the wrong throw - whether it was to the wrong receiver or just a bad throw to the right one. The drops did not help but at least half the drops were tough balls to catch in the first place.

MoWilkBeast and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Yea, it's important to note that I'm not sure I've ever seen so many drops by 1 football team in a 3 game span.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

Think now they should have bought in a veteran like Mullins who ran the offense and let Wilson sit he clearly isn't ready to start. Like I said Wilson isn't a top 10 QB prospect he was hyped and is a project that needs a year to sit and learn. In fact I call Josh Johnson up let Wilson sit for the rest of the year think playing him are making things worse.

NYJetsO12 and jets_fan like this.
  7. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

At this pt rn I would say Gase and his crew ran better plays and thats saying a lot bc i hate that guy with a passion

Falco21 and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  8. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This Isn't a simple fix.

It's not simply ML fault either.

The players are dog shit. Everyone on this team Is dog shit right now. Blaming the OC Is always the "first" scape goat.

Anyone with eyes can see this fucking team Is just a hot mess. Firing the OC Isn't going to fix this shit show.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

If you drafted a QB JUST because he can roll outside of the pocket, you drafted the wrong QB. You don't design an offense around roll-outs. That doesn't make sense. I can see the argument for MORE roll-out plays to tailor to the strengths of the QB.

This doesn't negate the shitty QB play from Wilson though. He is a QB. He needs to, you know, be able to play the position at a high level, not just on roll-outs.

10. NYGANGGREEN

Its not about placing full blame on him, but when reg Joes like me and others can see sure as day he isnt calling a better game 3 weeks in to help his OL or rookie QB something is wrong. I mean nothing he is calling is a surprised or putting the D on edge. They are literally sticking to guys like glue and in the backfield like they know every play call. That's fuckn sad man no way around that sorry. If it was just a week or 2 cool, but you get paid for this 3 weeks in a row and no adjustment? Is he blind or just another idiot

11. NYGANGGREEN

Clearly thats what he meant man, no team runs a rollout every single play that didnt even make sense to say. But if you know your QB has the athleticism and does well in that specific scheme why not draw up more of them. We literally saw none of that come on man. I dont mind making excuses, but your doing a good job of that rn for no reason. This coaching staff deserves this and the heat thats coming. And I was ecstatic at the hiring of them

12. Jets007

Jets007 Well-Known Member

I thought we are going to the Playoffs this year...

13. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Definitely early but right now this guy STINKS.

REVISion likes this.
  14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

We should have brought in an experienced OC to start the season and/or back up LaFleur...

FJF likes this.
  15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

While Mike is making Gase look good right now, he needs more time. The problem we have is a lot more complex than just OC. Davis, who was supposed to be #1 WR is not. Just too many drops for him and others. OL is a pile of dig shit. QB is a rookie and is playing poorly too given shit OL and underwhelming WR core. Mike's play calling sucks too, and he too is a rookie. Changing the offense now is not the solution. I am afraid we once again have to lower the expectations and take another one on the chin this year. As much as this hurts, shaking things up now might end up even worse.

FJF likes this.
  16. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

This is true. If you can't play the position in the pocket, you can't play the position in the NFL. That's just the way it is. Designed rollouts work when your QB works well in the pocket. If that's all he has, he's in trouble.

17. fggrimes

fggrimes Well-Known Member

We all can accept that he's going to play sh*tty - wrong reads, stare down receivers, inaccuracy, etc., but what drives everyone nuts is the ability to be "Mahomes-lite" was a good part of the justification this team gave for drafting him at #2 Overall. We also know this team's O-Line has been hot-dogsh*t for the past few seasons. Then, when they put him out to play, they give him a game plan that looks like it was tailored to 37 year-old Eli Manning.

What's worse is that we saw the same thing for the past three years with another high draft pick whose best play came when he was operating outside of the pocket.

He's going to have to learn to play from the pocket if he's going to last more than five seasons in the NFL, but his body and his mind might not survive three seasons if they try to make him a classic pocket passer first. Work to his strengths to start before he's ruined.

BrooklynJetsFan, Br4d and NYJetsO12 like this.
  18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We should have had a veteran QB on the roster to start the season.

That's how you get a new offense installed without the thing turning into a rolling trainwreck.

Then game 8 or 9 if the offense is performing acceptably and everybody understand their role you maybe think about throwing the rookie QB in to the mix. At that point he's the only point of failure and you can work around his issues better.

Right now the Jets have no points of success on offense and that makes Wilson's failures just brutal.

Ralebird, REVISion and NYJetsO12 like this.
  19. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

No one is saying that is all he has. You can't expect Wilson to create scoring drives if you don't call ANY plays to his strengths.

We're not asking Lafleur to call a roll out every play, but he doesn't even called one!

Look at Kansas City. Mahomes rolls out at least 10 times a game. It builds drives and gets the ball moving down the field.

20. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

In fairness, we did have that in Greg Knapp prior to his passing. I don't know if the organizational flow chart was set up for him to officially have these particular duties, but he still would have been someone that has done the job that LaFleur could have leaned on for guidance and support.

cmcm750203 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.