The Jets are probably going to get their teeth kicked in on Sunday

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 24, 2021.

1. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

They’ve also played Daniel Jones and Trevor Lawrence. I’m honestly expecting something like Lawrence’s game last week, hopefully something better because there is more film out on that defense.

I think it’s too early to tell who the elite defenses are. Gotta give it a couple more weeks.

2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I just can't help but feel like this line is a classic overreaction by gamblers after the Pats game.

Wilson's horrible day was the clear narrative from that game but our team played pretty damn well other than Wilson. People reading headlines and not watching the game don't know that, though.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I mean Daniel Jones just put up 29 points on a short week on the road against WFT - 350 yards of offense and 2 touchdowns (should've been a 3rd if not for a fugazi holding call).

I agree on all the other stuff though, especially the bottom sentence.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

I generally don't touch double digit NFL lines period because garbage time soft-zone defenses ruin the favorites who trade yards and a touchdown for time.

But I don't think this line is that far off. East coast team traveling west at altitude. The Broncos have won both their road games by double digits to teams of equal or better (or slightly lesser) quality.

legler82 likes this.
  5. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Yup. Our defense help up shockingly well despite being given short field and little rest time and time again.

6. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Re: Bridgewater- when he has been healthy he’s been a solid QB. I know he has a .500 record, but that’s mainly because he QB’d that awful Carolina team a few years ago. He wins games.

7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It really wasn't. To each their own though. You "think" It all looked pretty good, I disagree. I too re-watched and broke things down for myself.

Either way. Hopefully there Is improvement.

8. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Funny but interestingly this is why I "know" the Bronco's would have been interested in trading for him although no peep ever hit the papers. Add their QB woes over the years and its on. Would have gotten their #9 pick, Drew Lock, #1's in 2022 and 2023. Not saying drafting for Zach was worse.

9. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

what plays did you consider bad? none of the INTs were bad play calls. they were actually really good calls. The run game was strong all RBs averaged over 4 YPC with carter averaging over 5. Pass protection was solid for the most part outside of a few plays

10. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I think the Jets D will hold up ok, and I think the offense will struggle. I don’t foresee another 3-4 interception game but I do think the run game will probably be less effective than it was against the Patriots.

I think the Jets will lose and start the season 0-3 but I don’t think it will be a disaster, more likely a close loss.The Broncos defense is a proven top notch unit, but the offense has been good against the Giants, who have been shaky so far this year and then Jacksonville who are just not good.

I’d say up to this point, the Jets D has been better than either of those units. I think this will be a defensive game that the Jets will end up losing, but it will be close if there aren’t rampant turnovers.

11. IIMeanDeanII

The INT's were bad play calls actually. Aside from one. I mean, the first INT was just awful, but, they have been running more max protect because our OL Isn't great. The problem with that play was that they only had three available targets. On the same side of the field, running almost the same route. Elijah was running a post-dig, Davis was running a post-curl. Then, even with max protect, they get destroyed.

Now. I agree, execution and talent are an issue for this offense right now.

However. That's one example. I'm telling you, the play calling wasn't ideal. When I was initially watching the game, I didn't think It was all that bad. After re-watching, It wasn't good overall. It was just a shit show all the way around. Coaching and playcalling not excluded.

I'm not going to go into everything I have issues with play-calling wise. I certainly don't have the inside scoop on what ML was trying to do on some of these plays either. However, there are clear cut plays that you can tell were just flat out bad.

The run game was strong because BB had a plan. If you notice the defensive plan, It was all about keeping everything from being explosive, staying disciplined In the passing game, bracketing, etc... BB was giving up running lanes, they weren't worried about our run game. They took away the pass, made us one dimensional, we lost because of turnovers and shit play-calling.

On the flip-side. With the Wilson turnovers, our OL not being very good, It limits the things that you can do when calling plays. It all plays into each other, In a very negative way. It's just not good.

A lot needs corrected. Not sure that happens this week.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

Care to explain? Not saying you are wrong but how is it bad plays? I agree the INT on 2nd and 28 was a bad playcall but to be fair there isn't really a good play for 2nd and 28.

The 1st INT however was a great call. Max protect with long developing routes. both of which would have gotten open if the o-line didn't fail moore was open but it was too late and davis was in the process of getting open but zach had to throw early. had the o-line blocked it's likely a big gainer to moore. They were on the same side but 2 different routes. moore was running a post yes (not a post dig, no such thing it's 2 different routes) , but davis was not running a curl. he was running a slam route

[​IMG] Davis ran the route of the "A" in that diagram. Most max protect plays have long developing routes.

Here is the explanation of the route http://insidethepylon.com/football-101/glossary-football-101/2017/11/21/itp-glossary-slam-release/
    It's often used on PA as we seen on this play.

The 2nd INT was a good playcall. It's 1st and 10, they PA and roll him out. he has no pressure and an easy flip to moore for at least 5 if not more yards. good solid play for a 1st down. Zach just wanted moore and forced it to davis in a small window and actually made a good throw but it went through davis's hands who took the blame on that one. Kroft was also open deep. he had 3 open targets. a short, medium, and deep. but he took the least open one because he was forcing plays to davis,

the 3rd INT was a good playcall. it's 3rd and 4 and he has kroft on the drag route with a rub from moore who can likely get the 1st with a well placed ball. again he wanted more (literally lol started down moore) who looked open when he threw it but the CB made a nice play on a bad pass. now it's possible moore ran it wrong. saleh mentioned moore ran the wrong route ona play but I think his ball placement was bad. he needed to lead him more but he threw it short however if moore ran the wrong route it would make sense.

the 4th INT was a bad playcall. but again it's 2nd and 28, there isn't a great call in the playbook for that on any team. and we were behind 10 in the 3rd quarter. You know on 2nd and that long the D is gonna play a soft zone. you load 1 side and do a WR screen to moore with a TE out wide and davis as blockers. you get the numbers mismatch that way in a zone. hope to pick up a good gain with a good run after the catch and make it 3rd and manageable

now again not saying you are wrong, you are more then welcome to debate this, but i'm just asking for an explanation on why you think that like I just gave instead of a vague "it was bad".

13. IIMeanDeanII

Cool google diagram. In no way did Davis run that route. I put It In that format because I could not tell what route either receiver was actually running because It was such a shit design.

I appreciate your efforts, I still absolutely disagree with you.

EDIT: As far as It being bad, I just read your last bit. Without going Into extreme detail.

The fact that the routes are that similar, In a clear man2man situation, Is a bad call. There was literally nowhere to go and If you look at the coverage, It was clearly not going to develop. You think It would've, I disagree completely, there was nothing there to "expose" that coverage with those two routes. It was just bad. Despite the bad throw and bad OL play.

#53 IIMeanDeanII, Sep 24, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    ColoradoContrails and legler82 like this.
  14. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Davis did not run the route shown in that graphic.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

A 10.5 point spread with a 41.5 over/under shows better faith in both defenses than Denver's offense.

Our game has the lowest o/u of all games this weekend fwiw...

16. GasedAndConfused

I mean lets give you the benefit of the doubt. you are gonna ignore the other 3 i said? If you want to make a point you should address the whole post, not cherry pick 1 part you believe to be incorrect and ignore the rest. so Can I expect you to debate the rest of the post?

As far as the route goes, they aren't in the same spot

[​IMG]

davis is at the hash marks, moore is outside the numbers. that's around 40 feet apart horizontally. On top of that zach eyes and davis starting going inside pulls the single deep safety more right and moore was wide open on his cut for the post route. look at that beautiful throwing lane. If the o-line blocked for a second longer and zach makes a good throw it's likely an 80+ yard TD to moore. you can't ask more out of a playcall. On top of that davis is not running a curl. look at his position on the freeze frame. his body is still upfield as is his head. if he was running a curl at this point he'd be turning around and coming back to the ball

[​IMG]

a little more into the play and look at his body. not running a curl route, he's looking to change direction back outside. he's dead stopping to cut back outside not looking to come inside. you can also see moore about to blow by his man and be wide open for an easy TD but the pressure is right in zach face. again a little better blocking and it's a big TD to moore. so how is it the playcall? they had 7 blockers against 5 rushers and still didn't hold up. the playcall acounted for the blitz had extra protection and got a man wide open for a TD. how can you blame the call?

plus the other 3. i'm more then open to debate but you gotta make your point other then "just trust me" especially if I'm making long explained posts on what I see with pictures and details and you are just going "nah bro" doesn't cut it.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm just glad I gave up reading the Denver Post and local papers here years ago.

I honestly have no idea what will happen. I believe Zach is capable of bouncing back, but with Von MIller coming for him, IDK if our OL can handle that. I don't believe Denver is great by any means, but we have a LOT of things to fix, as MeanDean pointed out. And then there's the "groin injury" - is it really his groin, or did he sustain a shoulder injury? I ask because waht I saw from last game was Zach "short arming" and making side arm throws, which can indicate trying to reduce shoulder pain. I truly hope I'm wrong, but his throws last week just didn't seem to have the same zip on them. The good news is that playing a mile higher up will give him some more distance and he's used to playing at this altitude.

To me, this game could a 35-10 laugher for the Broncos, or one that goes down to the wire. Everyone, from the CS down to ST will have be playing their best to keep this close or to produce an upset.

Sack exchange and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  19. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

this picture says it all…

look at our OL…LT getting beat straight up, C already pancaked, LG and LT doubling one guy while two useless TEs standing there blocking absolutely no one, while a free rusher comes straight up the
    this a thousand times!!!

so funny but so freaking painfully true

ineptitude pretty much on almost every single player for us

that was so fucking disgusting

and funny that like a 13 year old kid can see it

20. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

And I’m not a betting man but I would def take the under there

Acad23 likes this.