Denzel Mims?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, Sep 12, 2021.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

That could also be protecting the trade value if they are going to go down that route.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yep.. that's why Mims needs to go west and start over.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's true, but I hope it's not. I think they'd be making a big mistake to give up on him and trade him.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Because petty did so well when he left here.

5. NCJetsfan

Comparing Petty with Mims is silly! Petty never really any flashes of potential. Mims has.

6. K'OB

True enough but if they are down on him and know it, I'd rather they got the number 2 pick back before it is too late and we can go again with a WR they prefer in the next draft or god forbid a bloody TE who can catch and block lol

I can't understand how a guy who has played the game most of his life (presumably) can't learn a playbook, something that is expected of you at the position you are meant to be good at, it is bizarre.

Ralebird likes this.
  7. K'OB

I will say this for Petty...

It was his arm that made Robby Anderson look good and paved his way into the squad as a UDFA and then when Petty got in the team they made him dunk and dink the very thing he wasn't as good at never letting him throw long and to cap it all off they nearly got him killed V Miami and then he was toast.

#507 K'OB, Sep 23, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. K'OB

Petty was seeing a full-on 3-hour horror movie after the Miami incident, no piddly little ghosts for him.

and besides all of that, once we ruin them, they stay ruined for life ;)

stinkyB and FJF like this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I was referring to cmans #freepetty crusade that didn’t turn out well more than comparing player to player.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

If Saleh and LaFleur are telling the truth, he evidently has or has almost learned the playbook because for each of the last 2-3 weeks they've been complimenting him on his great practices. Maybe that's why Saleh mentioned STs this week. Mims has pretty much learned the offense and now needs to learn STs/gunner responsibilities. Of course, that may just be to satisfy the media and fans.

This offense is known to be VERY complex. It supposedly takes 2-3 years to really learn it. IMO you are way underestimating the complexity of our offense. This isn't some high school-level offense. It's also not a basic college offense where WRs don't even have to run the full route tree. In this offense the WRs have options on each route depending upon the circumstances and how the defender reacts, i.e., what kind of leverage they have. Multiple run/pass plays can come out of each alignment. That makes it more complex than alignments or sets where they are only run or pass and there are no route alteration options.

In addition, perhaps you've forgotten, but Mims missed the all-important first 2 weeks of the installation of the offense, and then not only had to try to catch up, but rebuild his strength and conditioning, while also working on refining his route running. That's informaton overload, and a lot to deal with at one time. Evidently you never missed considerable time in school in a hard class at the beginning of the year, and had to try to make up the work basically on your own, and figure out what is going on day to day when you're back in class, when you don't have the early foundation to build upon. Your head swims, and it's very easy to get confused and struggle. He may also have some kind of a learning disability or may not be that bright, which would make it that much harder to get caught up. Football players traditionally haven't been the sharpest pencils in the box, and imo a lot of players haven't succeeded in the NFL because of the complexity of the schemes and/or because suddenly everyone else was as big, strong, fast, athletic as they were, and they couldn't get by on natural ability alone. In college their offensive/defensive schemes were much simpler and they could succeed on their size/speed/strength/athletic ability alone. They get to the NFL and encounter detailed, complex schemes. All of a sudden, it's a lot harder than it has ever been. There's a lot more mental work and discipline required. In many, if not most, situations players are working harder than they ever did before, and having to work hard year round. It becomes more of a job, and less fun. That's why it takes a real love for the game. (I'm not saying that Mims doesn't have that, he may or may not, but I think he does or JD wouldn't have drafted him.) Finally, it should be pretty obvious that the rest of the team doesn't know it that well yet, either, with WRs running wrong routes, Zach making mistakes, players being out of position, RBs and TEs going to the same spot on the field, blown assignments on offense and defense, etc., so imo it shouldn't be that hard to understand why Mims has struggled and is struggling.

#510 NCJetsfan, Sep 23, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    Mogriffjr likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

12. NCJetsfan

I liked Petty and had hopes for him, but in retrospect, he was not that good a prospect. He only had one year as a starter at Baylor, and put up big stats because of the simplicity of the scheme and the poor defensive play in that conference. It was probably Petty that turned some posters off to Mahomes and made them write him off as another system QB.

I don't remember the Miami game that you referenced. What happened?

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I can't believe this is the hottest topic on the forum still.

Maybe someone can refresh my memory - did we have this many defenders of Devin Smith and Stephen Hill too? Stephen Hill might have been the most physically gifted athlete at receiver we've had in two decades. 6'3-6'4", 220 and 4.3 speed. And he was awful at every aspect of playing receiver.

It's not like it's impossible that this might be the same thing.

Ralebird, Sack exchange and REVISion like this.
  14. K'OB

Well it can't be that complex, you've learnt it already ;)

Footballgod214 likes this.
  15. K'OB

It was horrible, the pair of cunts didn't really need to do this IMO but Petty actually made the throw, I'd forgotten that tbh.

it is blocked on here but just click it and watch on youtube.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. K'OB

Devin Smith still gets called a bust and Mac called out for not knowing he was drafting an injury prone WR who just hadn't had any injuries in college lol

17. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I hope you are wrong, but could be same. Lots of folks were clamoring how great a pick was Perine was, now he is healthy scratch every week. When Crowder back, then mims will be healthy scratch. Believe me if they thought either was great, they would be starting! For gods sake they were JD picks. That fact even make it even more concrete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Petty was borderline NFL prospect. He had some talent. Just not good enough. Don’t blame jets taking a flyer on him, but he was what he was. But Jets as always did not do him any favors with that hit. Hope Wilson never gets hit like that!! Lol. The shot he took in Carolina was troubling though. I was there and got first hand view. Was surprised he even got up on the one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails, Cman68 and K'OB like this.
  19. Cman68

Mims isn't Petty.

20. Cman68

Petty is closer to Jimmy Morgan

NCJetsfan and Sack exchange like this.