The big question for Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by REVISion, Sep 20, 2021.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Will he learn from the mistakes of this game?

We all know Wilson likes to push the ball downfield. It was a hallmark of his play in college. He consistently looked for big chunk plays. He was also extremely careful with the ball. The combination of aggression and smarts with the ball is a large part of what made him such an appealing prospect.

He was clearly pressing too much against the Patriots. This isn't a Darnold situation where we're seeing the same exact problems he had in college, just magnified. This game was out of character for Wilson.

I'm wondering what kind of role the week 1 beating may have played. He threw off his back foot a lot more often despite being under less pressure and his fundamentals as a whole looked markedly worse than in week 1. If he already has happy feet then we have a problem on our hands.

Part of this falls on LaFleur who doesn't seem to place any importance on giving your young QB some gimme throws to get in rhythm and gain confidence. What the Patriots did with Jones is what you should do with a rookie QB. Regardless, the vast majority of the blame falls on Wilson yesterday.

dmw, papapump, Jets79 and 2 others like this.
  2. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

I think that he needs to be forced to learn. If he doesn’t take the easier plays when told he should be benched for a few plays until he gets it. I’m all for love but sometimes athletes need to recognize there are consequences for trying to be hero get your next contract on every play.

NYJetsO12 and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

That's what it comes down to. Bad games will happen for rookies, but trying to force it like he did is a recipe for disaster. He needs to realize that often, it's best to take what the defense gives him.

4. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Said it all off season this kid needed a vet QB in the room and should not have started week 1

5. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

I think he will learn.
    I don’t think the Carolina game had any effect on him. I don’t want to make excuses for him, because it was all him.
    Here’s the thing, he was up against Bill Belechick’s secondary. A secondary that is known to make rookie quarterbacks look foolish. What was he thinking when he made those throws? Who knows. My best guess is, since he was used to making those throws in college, he thought he could get away with it here too. No, he can’t.

The second thing is he was locked in on Davis and Moore. Bellichick loves to take QBs toys away. Zach’s toys were pretty well taken away.

It’s possible he does this again at some point in the season. I’m just hoping it’s not this bad and he’s learning from his mistakes, because…well BB took him behind the woodshed. Hopefully, we get payback in October.

tomdeb and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

He was scary bad and it looked as if he didn't even see the Pats defenders out there. However, I'm keeping the faith and I will try not to dissect every time the kid f's up.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There is no benching him from here on out barring injury. That does way more harm than good and is off the table unless he's so incompetent and averages 5 turnovers a game that you have no choice.

PJ4Ever, Red Menace, FJF and 2 others like this.
  8. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

He threw off his back foot in preseason a couple of times, and he was high quite a few times last week. Belichick & co saw that and basically played a soft zone coverage. No wonder the 1st and 2nd INTs were tipped passes to INTs. Once those two INTs happened he was mentally checked out of the game. At this point - and only this point is where I have doubts he'll be ready to figure out at least this year.

Frankly he folded and was playing reckless. It was kind of shocking to see, but this is where your coach and has to play call you back into confidence – which LaFleur failed to do. Help your young QB out.

So I really blame this one on LaFleur over Zach. Part of coaching is getting your players heads back into the game. Zach was gone by the 2nd INT. There was no chance he would recover without support. He even said it in the press conference. The INTs happened too fast he could never get back into rhythm.

9. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

2 things he needs to learn ASAP. Game management, short gain is better than interception and throwing the ball away if no option available is better than interception.

Finally, he needs to stop throwing on his back foot. I found even his most impressive throws lacked velocity. His long ball float more than I woud like. I am hopeful he can correct that.

I also don't like him targeting all the time the same targets i.e. Corey Davis. He needs to use this as an advantage at some point to attract defenders on corey davis and throw to the 2nd or even 3rd option.

dmw likes this.
  10. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Yep parallels the ghost game (or even later in the year [can not recall the game where Sam came over to AG and ask for help and got the famous ... "you know what to do go do it line"]) because they essentially left the kid on his own. You expect that from the worst HC in the league but not someone who supposedly is smart/good coach...

BTW, please do not throw out the he is a new OC and learning too. If you see that the calls your making are not working, you change them or adjust,, this OC didn't neither just stuck to his game plan. BTW, where the hell was the HC? Why didn't he stop the bleeding by calling a timeout esp when you see the QB is flustered and struggling.... but what really pulls my chain is later saying its ok to be boring, well yea coach, why didn't you give the advice during the game?

11. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I agree about the back foot but he just logged the fastest velocity pass this year at almost 60mph LOL

Jets81 and NYJFOREVER like this.
  12. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Does who you are pushing the ball downfield against make a difference?

13. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing (that he locks in on Davis and Moore). The jets need a TE who can get open underneath and that Wilson trusts. Not sure Yeboah (practice squad) fits that description but so far in regular season there is no one on active roster who does.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

My man love for Yeboah aside, where has Kroft been? After featuring him big time in preseason he's been a ghost. Is he even out there in the pattern?

K'OB, SOJAZ, Red Menace and 1 other person like this.
  15. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Bummer too, because he in no way needed to be throwing aggressively. The way the defense and running game we’re going, the game was winnable without the turnovers.
    He will have a simplified game plan on Denver… hopefully the running game and defense continue their improvement.

16. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

He struggled early in camp and said he was trying to figure out what he could get away with.

Yesterday is a perfect example of what he can get away with and can't get away with.

In camp he got better as he figured it out. He seems like a smart kid, I think he's gonna do the same as the season goes.

Since1969 likes this.
  17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Good question!

18. 50ShadesOfGreen

50ShadesOfGreen Well-Known Member

I had to watch Peyton's rookie interceptions compilation in order to hope that zach wilson will just struggle this year and be better next year and year 3.

19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Did any one hear Payton talk how hard it is to be comfortable the first year in a new system for a vet like Goff. We are. Wondering why a rookie is struggled one game.

Zach is going to be a good one. This fan base just has no Patience.

20. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I agree Zach will be a good one. Its going to take time. Just an FYI Peyton threw 6 int's in his first two starts. Look how that worked out.

ColoradoContrails likes this.