GAC Studs and Duds - Week 2 2021 - NYJ vs NE

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Sep 20, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Studs

Saleh/Ulbrich - Some may not agree with this but hear me out. I really liked seeing saleh fired up the 1st drive of the game with the fumble that the refs screwed us out of. It's been a while since we had a coach that seemed like they gave a fuck and showed energy. But the main thing was the defense. Our rag tag young inexperienced late round pick banged up defense that we were all expecting to be trash has played really well. The d-line is still getting pressure and the LBers are doing their job well. this tweet sums it up

Entire Defense - I'm just gonna give it to the whole defense. JFM has 2 sacks in 2 games and was getting pressure and forced a fumble. Mac jones had 0 TDs and only 186 yards on 22 completions. Harris averaged less then 4 YPC even with that big run where we missed tackles then gave up the TD trying to get a fumble. The score looked bad but that was due to turnovers by wilson. We had 3 sacks and held them to 25% on 3rd down. the defense played great

Berrios - was out most efficient WR out there. caught 7 of 11 targets for 73 yards plus does a solid job as a returner.

o-line - actually looked good today. zach had time to throw the ball but their best performance was run blocking. all 3 of our RBs averaged over 4 YPC. carter led the way with 59 yards on only 11 carries with a 5.4 YPC. he also caught 2 for 29 on 3 targets. he could make a case for being a stud as well.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Duds

Zach Wilson - he pretty much single handedly cost us the game. throwing INTs on your 1st 2 passes digs a hole we aren't good enough to get out of. adding 2 more late only made it worse.

Davis - also had a poor game. only 2 catches for 8 yards on 5 targets. one INT wasn't his fault but it did bounce off his hands and he could have brought it in. not something you expect a player to make but could have been made for sure. Just didn't have an impact on this game at all.

EDIT: Adding Van Roten, forgot how awful he was as it was overshadowed by zach.
    Found this PFF rankings after 2 weeks of our current o-line
    1. McGovern (68.3)(8th ranked Center)

2. AVT (68.8)(16th ranked Guard)(*Highest Rookie Guard)

3. Moses (69.5) (17th ranked Tackle)

4. Fant (67.4) (26th ranked Tackle)

5. Van Roten (45.4) (53rd ranked Guard)
    Basically mcgovern bounced back and had a great game after a poor week 1 and being a top 1 C again. AVT and moses are above average at their positions. Fant is about average. Van Roten is awful and bottom tier of starters at OG in the NFL.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Let me know if there is anyone you want me to key in on during my rewatch today so I can add more to this

#1 GasedAndConfused, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  2. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Looks like a good job at pulling the important themes together.

I'm not sure you put them in the "stud" category but I also thought our offensive line and running game looked orders of magnitude more promising than anything we've seen since well before Frank Gore arrived. If that continues next week I'm going to be very encouraged.

Its also kind of amazing how Berrios, with probable less physical gifts than dozens and dozens if not hundreds of would-be NFL receivers that haven't made it in the last few years has apparently managed to carve himself out a solid career against all the odds. To be brutally honest I'm still not sure he's all that good or what you ideally want to be giving heavy reps to on a real winning team but it IS pretty hard to not pull for the scrappy little bastard. He's starting to win me over.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

yeah o-line is in the studs category. looked much better this week. only GVR looked awful overall.

Jets79 likes this.
  4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Agree 100% on GVR…he was really bad…got beat one on one more than once…I’d have to rewatch to count, but just in my casual watching I remember seeing guys go right through him

5. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I was impressed with the team outside of Wilson. 2nd game with a really good pass rush and another strong game by the defense. Mosley seemed to flash a lot more this game after his poor outing week 1. Another strong game by MC2.

I was really impressed by the OL and the run game. I was also impressed by the coaches. They fixed a lot in a week.

Most of all I was impressed by the passion the team played with. No matter what went wrong they kept fighting. I really love this team

As far as duds outside of Zach I would add the refs. They F-ed us all game long with penalties and the fumble on the first series. I would add in penalties as far as duds. Again we lost a couple of big plays and promising drives due to penalties.

Jets79 and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

the 1st fumble was bad but outside of that the refs did a good job overall.

7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I thought they were excessive on the penalties especially on us and It also seemed like they were some obvious offensive holding on a few of their big plays that should have drawn a flag. Maybe a bit of homerism on my part but it felt like we got the short end.

8. GasedAndConfused

they were pretty goo. really explained things out. it can feel that way for sure but after the fumble fuck up early in the game they did a good overall job and nothing felt like a screw job.

9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Studs:

Entire defense
    Michael Carter
    Ty Johnson
    Moore

Duds:

Wilson
    Corey Davis
    LaFleur - didn't account for what Belichick always does - taking away #1 option.
    Saleh - coached not to lose, scared. Opted against +EV moves out of fear.

Our OL was better than week 1 but I wouldn't call them studs. It was a decent performance that looked good compared to the dumpster fire of week 1.

SOJAZ likes this.
  10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I think we should also throw the Pats in here and give them credit. While the 1st two INTs should not have been thrown and were poor judgment they were great plays by the Pats DBs.

The first play with DB going away from the receiver but being able to deflect it was a great play. You throw it a 100 times and it is completed a lot with the worst case scenario normally being it is knocked down. It was an exceptional play.

The second INT was also a great heads up play. The ball should not have been thrown and CD should have caught it but the play resulting in an INT on that throw is pretty rare. Great play.

The Pats should get credit for 2 exceptional plays on the first two INTs. Those two plays changed the entire game and gave the Pats a 10 point lead.

11. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

Can’t leave out Johnson and Carter. It’s been a long time since we’ve seen our RBs out there trucking defenders.

GasedAndConfused and Noam like this.
  12. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be to hard on Corey Davis.

The Pats made stopping him their top priority.

All of those rushing yards and open receivers were due to him being a decoy.

It isn't his fault that zach forced the ball when he had three or four guys covering him.

13. GasedAndConfused

I wouldn't give it to johnson. I did mention carter is worthy of it though. he wasn't trucking people but he was elusive as hell and has great balance and vision. I think he's gonna be great for us

14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Main reason Davis was a dud for me is because one interception was his fault, ball went right through his hands. He was even apologizing for it on the sideline.

Noam likes this.
  15. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Carter seems to have the perfect balance of speed and elusiveness to get extra yards. He had one slick cut back to get about 8-9 on one play...and he's an asset out of the backfield.

Noam likes this.
  16. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I think it was on a pass where it looked like he was stopped a yard short of the first down then broke away for another 10 yards. He had some impressive runs. Patience and vision along with some explosion. Plus he keeps so low to the ground not only is it harder to tackle him it has to help his balance.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

CJ Mosley and Quincy Williams were both duds vs the run. Combined for 2 stops and 1 missed tackle.
    Maye had a good game,1 pass broken up 1 catch allowed for -1 yards
    Moore had a solid game 5 for 57yrds and would have had a long T.D. had Zach not led him out of bounds.

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Our number one option was to run, we did that well., so BB didn't quite take that away. The rest of our offensive execution did suck thou. The bad no fumble and Wilson lack of execution really set the stage for failure. Zach need to raise from the ashes like Pegasus in his next game.

19. GasedAndConfused

I appreciate the fact he did that. it's a vet move with a rookie QB and sure maybe he felt like he should have had it. he did get 2 hands on it, but in the same sense the ball was high, hard, and behind him. he had full extension and was in the air and just high enough to get hands on it but no way too see the ball as it was over his head and behind him.

Also looking at the 1st INT, I'm feeling like that was zach not hanging in there and us being "too cute" with the route tree