The Golden Stream

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by abyzmul, Mar 1, 2021.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

On the MCU front, WandaVision was the sole win so far for me with the Marvel shows. Falcon and Winter Soldier almost felt like a CW show and the whole concept and execution of Loki was disjointed and plodding.

Hopefully What If? redeems them.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of all the Marvel movies and what not but I just can't find myself wanting to give any of these a chance. It just feels so contrived and is an obvious big ol' Nazi Disney money grab.

3. abyzmul

Yeah, it's tough to separate the clear monopoly that Disney has become from the production of those movies, there's just something dirty about that whole organization.

4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

3 episodes into Brand New Cherry Flavor on Netflix. Horror/drama limited series with cheesy special effects but pretty good.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Watched City on a Hill - pretty good. If you don't like Kevin Bacon don't bother. It's very Bacony.

The Night Of was also very good.

Started this Generation Kill show on HBO Max - it's like the Iraq war version of Band of Brothers.

6. abyzmul

Painting with John

HBO

This one follows award winning hippie stoner weirdo composer and artist John Lurie as he tries to produce an entire painting show from his home at a remote Caribbean island.

Not for everyone, as he truly is a bizarre human being, but I found it kind of mesmerizing and many of the moments in the show are funny as hell because he's so self-deprecating.

The first two episodes he chronicles his failing to do an intro to the show because he keeps crashing camera drones into trees and his house.

Very worth watching if that's your kind of thing.

Edit: Now that I'm fully into it, it's great. I just got through an episode where he talks about his time with Anthony Bourdain, had a story about when Zach Galifanakis was his unfunny housekeeper and told a story about doing coke in a broom closet with Rick James and Steve Rubell.

#86 abyzmul, Aug 28, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
  7. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

My wife and I are watching Animal Kingdom on Prime. It's a pretty cool show that stars Ellen Barkin(in her mid-60s and is holding up well).

8. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

The best thing that ever happened to TV was the Max Headroom hack.

9. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Started watching Hanna on Netflix, I thought it had great potential but I wasn't a fan of how they told the story. Probably will pass on season 2.

I did catch up on Jack Ryan, its a quick burn with solid acting and production. I recommend season 2.

Jonathan_Vilma and abyzmul like this.
  10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I dug it as well.

Heard his new autobiography (book) is pretty good... gonna pick it up.

abyzmul likes this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

I struggled through season one of Bosch but I'm glad I kept with it. Super cliche cop show, but the characters kept me in it regardless of all the predictable bullshit. Plus Marlo from the Wire is in it. Haven't seen him since he did the Wire and he literally hasn't changed in appearance one bit and he's just Marlo but a cop now.

12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Does anyone catch any of the old staples? 'The Flying Nun', I almost forgot how ridiculously stupid that was.

13. abyzmul

I just realized Rawls is gay. Talk about a very brief and isolated scene.

14. abyzmul

15. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

Anyone else here been watching Money Heist? Enjoyed the first two seasons, later seasons have been interesting enough but will see how it goes.

16. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

My fiance and I binged Bosch. She had actually seen it except for the final season. It was a first for me. I really enjoyed it; so much so that I started reading the books. I finished The Black Echo and I'm 3/4 through The Black Ice. I enjoyed them more than the show and plan on reading all of the novels.

The other show we binged recently was Lost. I watched the show as it originally aired back in the 2000's. I enjoyed it then and I enjoyed it even more as a second go around. There is just so much to digest in that series. Yes, some things went nowhere and other things were never explained, but they didn't need to be for me to enjoy the show. Season 4, episode 5 (The Constant) was one of the best hours of television ever. Desmond Hume is my favorite character.

Not sure what's next. I enjoyed Jack Ryan when it was out.

Band of Brothers is a worthy watch for anyone that has never seen it.

Jonathan_Vilma and Savatage like this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

I also binged Bosch and liked it. I was about to punt on it about 5-6 episodes in too because it was so over the top as far as cliche cop shows go but I'm glad I hung in there. It felt easy to watch + Marlo/Bosch's relationship was great.

Jack Ryan was also good. I would check out Homeland if you haven't or Berlin Station or Condor if you want CIA type action thrillers.

I'm on this Mr. Mercedes show right now. More of a psychological thriller than cop show. Very limited amount of characters but it's getting much better quickly.

18. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if you are a book reader, but the first book in the Bosch series is The Black Echo. Part of season 3 is loosely based on it (the graffiti tagger kid witnessing the murder and then he himself getting murdered.) The book is a ton better than that season and it really gives you a lot more of what's behind the Bosch character....Vietnam vet who cleared tunnels, etc. It would have been very hard to follow the book or flesh out the characters given the limitations of TV. A lot of the cop cliches are missing from the book. You should check it out.

Acad23 likes this.
  19. abyzmul

It's a Stephen King adaptation so you'll be getting to the supernatural stuff eventually. It also has a recurring King character that appears in the shitty HBO limited series the Outsider. I watched the first 2 seasons of MM and liked them actually, didn't watch the third because I heard some bad things, may revisit.

I probably only liked them because I stopped reading SK books long before he wrote Mr. Mercedes though. They always ruin the story in the adaptations and he has no idea how to end them anyway.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

I wish I was a reader but I only read you fools on the interwebs.

I liked the Outsider. I don't see how Mr. Mercedes stretches over two seasons, let alone three.