Film Breakdown Notes: Offensive Line

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Sep 15, 2021.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I've just watched up until the touchdown pass when Becton gets hurt in the 3rd Quarter

1st thing to say is Becton is getting all kinds of unnecessary flack from the fan base. I watched every snap and of his and I'll list his issues here

1. First series, False start. Just twitched his leg
    2. Second Series, His Edge defender dropped into coverage and he didn't turn back inside quickly enough. Moore dropped the pass on the play.
    3. 5th Series, Beaten by Reddick off the Edge
    4. 6th Series, DE hits Becton with illegal hands to the face that goes uncalled. Pushes him back with hand in facemark the whole time.

So 3 Quarters of Football and he had 1 false start, 1 mental error, 1 lost rep. For all of the other snaps, he was nearly always the best Lineman for the Jets. Not slow, not fat, not out of shape, but a genuinely good player. Him missing time really sucks. If you want to be pissed at O Linemen, there are plenty of players to be disappointed in that were actually bad.

Fant was the worst lineman by far, Burns had his way with him. 5 Lost Reps to Edge Defenders when he was playing RT alone. There were also 2 completely unblocked rushers from his side, but I don't know if it was his error or the TE's/RB's involved.

Van Roten wasn't great early, but struggled more in run blocking than Pass Protection. He was beaten on a zone run by Derrick Brown, and then in a later series as lead blocker he went for the wrong, defender, and then missed the block in space anyway. Brown also pushed him back on a bull rush in pass protection once. It shouldn't be surprising that he wasn't getting a lot of push on Brown throughout the game, Brown's power was the biggest trait that made him a top 10 pick.

Vera-Tucker was not great either, I'd say 2nd worst after Fant. He seemed unprepared for the NFL D-Line strength. Lost to Gross-Matos and Brown in Pass-Pro, completely stood up while pulling by Luvu, and knocked back on his ass by Reddick during Moore's Jet Sweep attempt. He also blocked the wrong defender in Pass Pro and apparently didn't see the blitzing LB coming right at him.

McGovern overall had a good day. His only obvious issue was on a wide right zone run, he tried to climb to the 2nd level and had absolutely no shot to catch LB, just wasn't fast enough.

Update for final 2 drives:

Fant and Moses each lost a rep to Reddick coming off the edge at LT and RT respectively.

Moses also had an illegal formation for being lined up in the backfield.

McGovern made a mistake on a really well schemed stunt, and got beat for the brutal sack on Wilson.

Vera-Tucker basically fell apart on the final drive. Beaten on rep after rep, I think he got into a bad headspace. He also got beaten on that crushing sack.

Final Ranking of OL

1. Becton
    2. McGovern
    3. Van Roten
    4. Vera-Tucker
    5. Fant

#1 MaximusD163, Sep 15, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  2. RIPJimLeonhard

RIPJimLeonhard Well-Known Member

Where do you find footage of the whole game? Or do you just record it and go back and watch it?

Appreciate the insight, hearing what you say about Fant makes me wonder why he got the start over Moses? Maybe Moses just wasn't ready and didn't have the system down? Either way, we may be stuck with Fant until the bye week, so hopefully he does a little better.

MaximusD163 likes this.
  3. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the analysis. I'd say I'd sleep better now, but it's 1:30 and I'm up

Brook! and MaximusD163 like this.
  4. MaximusD163

NFL GamePass has All-22 footage if you subscribe to it. I heard it may be temporarily unavailable in the US though

5. MaximusD163

Updated for final 2 drives

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Thanks for the analysis , this pretty much jives with what should have been expected. The right side was suspect going in to camp and Avt losing most of the preseason stunted the left side. I feel like a lot of this will get cleaned up quickly but the right side will be below average the entire season.
    We really need a road grader at rg next spring

7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Thanks for the analysis. It definitely doesn't support the "Becton was hot trash" take that has been floated around here.

8. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Because it doesn't fit their narrative of a player. Becton played decent. Nothing to think he will be a bust or he is to fat and out of shape.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

If you say Becton was solid, I trust your analysis. But that still doesn't change the fact that he was responsible for one of the sacks straight up and another came by way of bad communication on a bluff blitz where the defensive tackle split he and AVT (really beat AVT but still).

If he gives up a sack a game, he's the worst tackle in the league.

SOJAZ and REVISion like this.
  10. MaximusD163

One of the things you have to take into account in regards to sack numbers on OLinemen though is that nearly every lineman is responsible for at least one potential sack per game. Generally the sack numbers wouldn’t indicate that, but that’s because the QB gets the ball out, avoids the first rusher etc on many plays. More often than not it’s the second rusher there who actually gets the sack because the QB’s escape route becomes limited.

Im not making excuses for him his lost rep and mistake, but his only lost rep in pass pro happened to be a sack. It could just have easily been a pressure and has a stat line: 1 pressure no sacks.

2 of the best OL in 2020:
    Ali Marpet: 16 pressures
    Tristan Wirfs: 24 pressures

If Becton averaged 1 pressure a game he’d be great. He’d also be outrageously unlucky to give up sacks on 100% of his pressures

11. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Did you have chance to look at Pats tape? If so what did you see?

12. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Becton is still the best oline we have. AVT was out basically all of camp. I think in a few weeks when Becton, McGovern, and AVT have time to get this will be a non-issue. But the right side is still an issue. Hopefully Moses gets the start because Fant is trash. Then if the right side has time to gel and Van Roten can play mediocre we should be fine.

13. MaximusD163

I haven't watched it yet but I will because I'll do a breakdown video for the Rookie QB's

cval likes this.
  14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Thanks for doing this but I disagree with the conclusion that Becton had a good game.

If you give up a sack as an LT then you had a bad game, it's really that simple. Sacks completely kill drives most of the time, they are an extremely negative outcome. It's made even worse by the fact that we gave up a huge resource to acquire Becton.

The best tackles in football (which we expect Becton to be among given his draft position) usually give up less than 5 sacks per season.

I think you're falling into the thinking a few people here are by thinking Becton had a good game just because it was relatively better than those around him. Our entire OL had a bad game from a pass protection standpoint. Becton didn't have a good game just because his game was less bad than the others.

15. bicketybam

He said he had the best game out of both teams OL. Not sure how bad a game he could of had if that was the case. He did the analysis in case you missed it.

Becton gave up sacks last year and most would say he had a good year, especially for a rookie. Lineman give up sacks. You can also have the QB contribute to a sack but that won't show up in the stats. Of the defensive backfiled for the opponents can cause a sack aka coverage sack. I just can't agree with your blanket statement that if a guy gives up a sack he had a bad game. I'm my opinion it's not that simplistic.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. REVISion

I feel like you didn't even read my post, I directly addressed the bold. Having a better game than other people who had horrible games doesn't mean you had a good game, just that it was better than the horrible games of those around you.

Regarding your second paragraph - that doesn't apply here. Becton was clearly beaten by his man on the sack he gave up. It wasn't even close to a coverage sack.

SOJAZ likes this.
  17. bicketybam

I was just pointing out that he was better than not only our OL but theirs as well.

As for my second point, I didn't mean to insinuate that Becton's sack was a coverage sack or because of Wilson. What I am saying is that the blanket statement of "If a LT gives up just one sack he's had a bad game." I don't believe that is always true.

18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Becton is not getting unnecessary flack for an 11th overall pick. Somewhere along the line our bar has gotten so low that allowing multiple pressures and QB hits means they had "an overall good game"?

REVISion likes this.
  19. REVISion

Reminds me of people claiming Darnold had a good game last year because he threw for 150 yards, 1 TD and 0 INT's.

20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

But that did not happen he got burned on a speed rush by a small quick guy and did not give up multiple pressures. Fant on the other hand I think did get beat on every play