Mekhi Becton

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Sep 10, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

meh, ouchy I can't take seriously until he addresses the sherwood thing. he said he was a liability out there but the guy didn't even play. I asked him twice and he didn't respond. seems like he just makes crap up.

As far as moving on form becton it's way too early. AVT isn't an OT at the NFL level. if anything we would keep fant at LT and resign moses for RT and draft another one (Wouldn't' surprise me if we draft a RT in the next draft regardless) but The injury he suffered was a freak injury and no sign it'll happen again. it's not liek he's had the same nagging injury year in and year out like say cashman

2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

He later said that after being pressed further on the issue I believe.

His initial statement on the matter was this:

There’s concern about Becton’s weight (listed at 364) and when Saleh was asked about the anchor of his rebuilding offensive line he explained how young players have to learn how to be a professional.

“Think about it, their body is their moneymaker. The amount of investment that you put into your body is the amount that it will give back,” Saleh said, hinting at Becton’s weight being a concern. “That’s part of the learning progression of young men, they’ve got to learn how to take care of their bodies. They’ve got to learn how to eat right, workout right, rest right, regenerate right, staying hydrated and all those different things that lead to longevity in this league.

“Mekhi is one of those, he’s a young man, he’s a very talented young man, he’s a very large young man and he’s learning every day on what it takes to be a professional. And how to make that next step. We got a lot of faith in him, he’s doing all the right things right now and we’re excited to get him to the training camp and we get to work with him.”

Given that Saleh is Mr. Positivity my interpretation of this sequence is that Saleh regretted going into as much detail as he did the first time and later gave a statement attempting to ease concerns.

3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Got it.[​IMG]

4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Dude, your question was so ticky tack. I named Sherwood as part of the LBs struggles and why I wasn't sold on the saftey to LB transitions. Yes he was only in few plays on Sunday and looked lost - just like in preseason. Maybe his leg was already bothering him, I dont know? But he isn't a true LB and he isn't the solution at LB.

5. GasedAndConfused

dude it wasn't even a quarter and you are condemning the guy. I mean we all make mistakes. just own up to it. it's not a big deal. don't double down and say the guy was ass for the whole 7ish minutes he played. as a rookie late pick to add to that. You do realize fred warner was a converted S to LBer under saleh and he's one of the best LBers in the business.

edit:
    here is an article about sherwood

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2021/...robert-saleh-san-francisco-49ers-fred-warner/

#205 GasedAndConfused, Sep 14, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Mogriffjr likes this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

good cause the Jets need an offensive tackle. Get to chugging

Pepsiguy5 and Acad23 like this.
  7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

All he's got is yesterdays garbage...

Sounds like a good country song!

ColoradoContrails and ouchy like this.
  8. Cunninglinguist

Cunninglinguist Active Member

Is it too late to trade him for wirfs lol

REVISion likes this.
  9. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I watched every snap of OL play multiple times on All-22 to see every player. I can understand post game frustration but Becton wasn’t even close to beaten like a drum, I wouldn’t even know where you would think you saw that. Vera-Tucker was bad and Fant was terrible. You probably saw guys coming from the left I guess but those were AVT’s issues 90%, not Becton’s.

10. MaximusD163

I watched every snap on all-22 multiple times. I’ve never once cited PFF in an argument so I can say with 100% honesty that I don’t give a shit about their grades, and that grade isn’t accurate.

While it’s true Becton being the best OL on Sunday needs only surpass a very low bar, he actually did play well. He was actually the best OL on either team, Jets or Panthers.

11. MaximusD163

I’ll say this too, I’m not a homer when it comes to this stuff. At least I don’t think my posts have been that way that I can remember. I went into the All-22 actually worried and expecting to see Becton sucking from all of the talk around here. I was actually surprised when I saw his performance, felt better, and then immediately shit myself realizing the Jets are playing NE next week without him.

12. GasedAndConfused

OK So i went and rewatched it to focus on sherwood. he was only in for 3 plays

play 1, Outside run right, he got blocked but got off his block and was involved in the tackle along with a few jets
    play 2, inside run left off tackle, again he got blocked, got off his block and was involved in the tackle. after that play he had a noticeable limp
    play 3, screen pass outside left, he wasn't really involved in the play but got pushed by a lineman and limped more.

then he was taken out with a foot injury and is out for the year. looks like ti happened on the 1st play and he tried to play through it then couldn't. how is that a liability in any way?

13. GasedAndConfused

It's becoming more obvious to me that people here look at 1 bad play and think someone had a whole awful game, either that or make shit up and start dumping on people. I get that it's hard to keep track during the live game because we are focusing on the ball and trying to enjoy it but that's why replays exist where we can see things we didn't see the 1st go around.

With that said, where do you watch the all-22? I'm just using the directv sunday cut ups but would like some extra views if possible. I don't mind paying a subscription for the all 22

barfolomew and cval like this.
  14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Because LBs shed blocks better than safties.

Why are you obsessing on this? I didn't even list him as a dud, I listed the LBs in general as a "meh", and said Sherwood is a liability because he has looked rough in preseason, and in the panthers game, and safties aren't linebackers.

Here:

Sherwood is not a liability at LB. He's played great.

#214 ouchy, Sep 15, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  15. GasedAndConfused

you literally made a point in your studs and duds of the panthers game that sherwood was a liability. he was in for 3 plays and looked to be hurt after the 2nd play and possibly was hurt going into the game but he did fine. he was in for 3 plays and was in on 2 tackles. He didn't play great he didn't really play at all. The point is it seems you were just making shit up and this was the most easy to prove fact of it. Whats the point of doing a studs and duds if you aren't even trying to put in effort and just make it all up? Have you not paid attention to NFL trends?

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2016...brids-quickly-becoming-nfl-defensive-staples/
    https://landryfootball.com/scouts-take-evolution-safetylinebacker-hybrid-todays-nfl-free/
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...brid-players-are-part-of-a-growing-nfl-trend/
    https://www.sbnation.com/2016/8/31/...linebackers-safeties-cardinals-deone-bucannon
    https://www.pennlive.com/philadelphiaeagles/2017/05/philadelphia_eagles_nathan_ger.html

safties are the new LBer sin the NFL. it allows you to stay in base defense against the nickel. Nickel personnel is run over 60% of the time in the NFL now. it's a passing league and 3rd WRs are considered starters

16. REVISion

Regarding the bold - that's kind of how it works with OL because a sack is such a negative outcome. It's usually a complete drive killer. If you give up one sack, like Becton did, then you had a bad game. If you gave up one sack per game you'd finish the season as one of the worst LT's in football. Probably the worst by a very wide margin, actually.

And that's without mentioning that we spent a very expensive resource on Becton with the 11th overall pick.

blackssmagic likes this.
  17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That wasn't really the spirit of this thread, some people just decide to run with their own narrative. My concern about him hasn't been performance so much as whether he can stay healthy while performing at a high level in this role.

Yes he is a physical freak and has some serious ability but that is a lot of open field running for a man of his measurements.

18. GasedAndConfused

Same with INTs it's a huge negative bu nobody is shitting on zach for his 1 INT. if you threw 1 INT a game you'd be among the league leaders in INTs thrown. I expect the casual fan to think like that, I would expect the avid fans on forums to be a bit smarter then that

19. REVISion

That analogy doesn't really work though because Wilson was also directly responsible for 2 TD's and a 2 PT conversion. If Wilson had 0 TD's and 1 INT it would've been a bad game by him.

Idk why we're so reluctant to say Becton had a bad game when he clearly did. Nobody is trying to say it means he's going to give up one sack per game every game.

Borat likes this.
  20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Because he did not have a bad game he had a bad play. The narrative was Becton is fat and bust and got burned every play. Not only that but when Fant took over at LT he played better.

That narrative is not even close. Fant was downright bad at both tackle positions and Becton did not look fat and slow and he did not get beat on every play but only on one play. Becton will be missed this Sunday, Fant is WFH bad.

bicketybam and Mogriffjr like this.