Joe Douglas?!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrooklynJetsFan, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

I don't miss Adams one bit. He was over his head everytime and a crybaby. Not the supposed amazing leader he was labelled to be.

2. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

You have to pay your key players...or be aggressive with the cap space ...or draft well. He's done nothing well at all.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  3. BrooklynJetsFan

Lawson tore his ACL twice in both legs during college and Cincy. He wasn't even a perennial starter on Cincy. He's good there was reason he was on the open market, but no way is he going to change the complexion of the defense. That's delusional talk.

4. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Too early to judge either of his drafts

Red Menace and papapump like this.
  5. BrooklynJetsFan

2020 looks very bad. Mims, Davis, Zuniga, Morgan, Clark Perine. They are not getting 2nd contracts with the Jets with a high certainty.

SOJAZ, BacktoQueens and IDFjet like this.
  6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

He was in the top 5 in QB hurries on a weak Cincinnati line. He was coming to a team that was deep enough to give him more one on one looks. He was highly in demand and rated as the top pass rusher on the market. He dominated in camp. He dominated the Packer DL. He was poised to have a huge year. This defense is predicated on having a pass rush. Having a blue chip top 5 guy like Lawson made everyone on this defense better and it made the offense better. There is no one on this roster even close to as impactful or as good as Carl Lawson.

I understand your hate of JD is strong and delusional and well you will grasp at any straws you can but with all due respect your premise that JD should have been a fortune teller is utter garbage. The Carl Lawson signing was by itself the best FA signing that this team has ever made in terms of value, getting a blue chip player and getting an ascending player. The process was very good even if our luck was not. There are some legit criticisms of JD that can be made but this is not one of them.

Your original post in this thread is not just garbage but arguably one of the worst posts ever made on this board. Are you a Pats fan just trolling. You cannot really believe what you are writing?

#26 Noam, Sep 14, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  7. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I was loving Lawson as much as anyone and was and still am sort of devastated.

But, given that we can criticize, the guy was lost for 2 seasons previously with injuries. Once a guy has gone down twice, is there a higher chance he's going to go down a 3rd time? And now that he's down a 3rd time, whats the chance he goes down a 4th time? How much does one lose after going down 3 times?

These are analytical calculations that can be made if one believes in this stuff and lot of people do.

Do you think JD took this into account when he signed Lawson? What analytics does he use? Based upon his draft selections he appears to like highly athletic guys and weighs them more--Zuniga is a prime example.

Regarding his FA signings I see no evidence that he's using advanced analytics (Van Roten, etc.).

SOJAZ, barfolomew and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree there is an injury risk and maybe that is why he came so cheap. But an achilles injury is a freak injury and has nothing to do with his knees. The injury rate for any player is so high that signing any FA is risky as is production which is generally why FA rarely results in great returns. But, Lawson was that rare case of a guy on top of his game. It is so incredibly rare to see someone that good at such an impactful position hit FA. Such a shame that he got hit by a freak injury. But, even worse is the odds of him returning to what he was with the explosion he had is not great.

#28 Noam, Sep 14, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  9. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Uh, Morgan is already gone.

SOJAZ and wewantsapp like this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This has become one of the strangest myths on this board that I don't understand.

Jets79, Red Menace and ouchy like this.
  11. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

Where JD is concerned, the James Morgan pick in 2020 still aggravates the hell out of me. That was an idiotic pick that had the look of incompetence on it, a really bad look. To me, and I am a nobody, it looked like they/he had no idea wo to pick so he just picked a name out of a hat. Other than that, the Ryan Kalil fiasco is about it as far as JD major screw ups go. You cannot blame a GM because players get injured. Look at Baltimore last night, they lost as many guys as we have. I do however, wonder why our players seem to get hurt more than any other teams players. Only we get stupid shit like Mono LOL, and get beat up mercilessly. Imho, the true test of a GM is team depth. Every team suffers crushing injuries, but it is organizations that have the smarts to secure decent back up depth that survive, sometimes even prosper, and carry on through injuries. KC, NE, Pit, Balt, NO, Sea to name a few teams that are always good regardless of injuries. When was the last time any of those teams went 2-14?

SOJAZ, barfolomew, NYJetsO12 and 2 others like this.
  12. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Anyone that thinks injuries are poor decisions on JD part or same old Jets BS need to look around the league at all the players lost on other teams. This year especially has been tough on players injury wise. Injuries are a part of the game that is basically out of the control of the GM, HC, & the players, some teams are luckier than others but it has nothing to do with whether they are a good team or a bad team. Last year Buffalo was one of the least injured team in the nfl...pure luck. Comes down to next man up. Unfortunately sometimes the injuries happen to one side of the ball like Jets, Lawson, Joynter, Davis, Curry, Neasman, & Cashman & I'm sure I missed a few, and its hard to make up for all the injuries. When our potentially good players play poorly then I hope it is due to the new system & their youth. This year is about trying to lay down a foundation that the team can build on, what works & what doesn't. This may take a few weeks to gel, maybe the whole season. I am looking for progress & at the end of the year this team will know where their draft picks will best be used. So far the corners looked pretty good, not a single penalty. Things like this are what this year is all about. See who stays & who goes & what we need most next year.

SOJAZ and Noam like this.
  13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

My understanding is that advanced analytics tend to agree with this notion that pressures are the true signal and that actually completing sacks is more random and prone to noise. I'm not sure if I agree with it but that seems to be the consensus. I think there's also the element that pressures do negatively impact the outcome of a play, not nearly as much as a sack of course.

Here's a quick article comparing them:

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-just-how-important-are-sacks-for-a-defense

Injuries are somewhat random but JD does have a penchant for adding guys with prior injury concerns because they offer better value if they end up staying healthy. We can't be totally surprised that we have bad injury problems seemingly every year with that in mind. There's a definite downside to focusing on high ceiling players that come at lower prices due to injury histories.

SOJAZ, ouchy, barfolomew and 5 others like this.
  14. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Translation:

Fire JD!!!

FJF and BrooklynJetsFan like this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I stopped reading after he mentioned Adams. Getting rid of him was a God sent. Now, the OP implying the fact that all four of our defensive free agents this year got hurt is his fault and that Lawson was a bad hire because of prior ACLs, which of course had fuck all to do with his Achilles tear is ample reason why I dismiss this BS. Carl is ten times the leader this team wants and needs. We have more than our share of injuries no doubt, but we drafted leaders, not selfish dick heads like Adams. If they feel compelled to bitch about JD, they are looking at the wrong side of the ball. OL is still struggling mightily, partially because of a new system, coaching and lack of depth. I hope Seattle enjoys having the highest paid safety in the league, we have much higher priorities to put our money to use in the offensive side of the ball.

#35 LAJet, Sep 14, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I thought it fell under the hidden production category.

17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

We get it, in theory pressures don’t allow QB to get comfortable and into a rhythm. However Qbs do move around in the pocket when pressured and still make plays so it’s tough to quantify how much pressure makes a difference.

A sack is a sack, stops the play dead and lifts up the team as a whole. There is a visible reaction to a sack and the offense has to make changes to its offensive strategy when a defensive player can sack the QB as opposed to just pressuring him.

There is a reason why defensive players who can sack the QB are coveted as opposed to guys who can pressure the QB.

I’ll take Khalil Mack over Lawson every day.

Jets79 likes this.
  18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Pure Jets... :confused:

Brook! likes this.
  19. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

you know, that’s a good point in that it seems like the scheme brought in by the new coaching staff is not in line with Becton and Mims’ natural fits…Becton may not be nimble and quick enough for the zone scheme, and Mims apparently can’t run crisp enough routes. Just the way it goes….they were drafted under a different coach who ran a different scheme.

I hope they can make it work with both Becton and Mims, but it’s looking a bit tougher

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

This talk about pressures being more important than sacks is utter nonsense and bullshit. It’s an excuse made for players that can’t get sacks. Yes, they disrupt the flow. Yes they are important. But they are not more important than sacks, which stop drives and change games.

People can talk all they want but the proof, as always, is to follow the money. Teams pay top fucking dollar for pass rushers who get sacks. Those guys NEVER become available in Free agency. Teams don’t always pay top dollar for DL who get pressures but not sacks. It makes a difference.

ColoradoContrails likes this.