Denzel Mims?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, Sep 12, 2021.

1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I think they have high hopes for Mims. I also think Mims is in his own head right now. (listening to interviews from other receivers during camp). I also think Smith sucks so Mims will get his chance. To be hones Elijah Moore did not play very well getting outplayed by Berrios. Receiver is a tough position to be good out of the gates.

2. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

iirc RS also said that all the 3n outs made it such that the WRs didnt rotate, thus "robbing" (he didnt use that word) him of more reps.

3. Losmeister

or its Jet fans stupidity and Saleh is simply making this young man work his ass off and earn his spot bu showing perserverance, good study habits et cet...

ColoradoContrails and cval like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I can live with your thinking I'm stupid.

5. NCJetsfan

Play Mims instead of Smith or Berrios, and maybe there wouldn't have been all the 3 and outs. Ever considered that?

6. Losmeister

nuthn personal..... i think the whingeiung on this is over the top... SOJFan syndrome, if you willl....

to me, you seem to be on emotional roller coaster, along with many others... no offense intended

Ralebird, cval and FJF like this.
  7. Losmeister

when he doesnt know the routes? (that is what i am deriving from RS comments)

Ralebird likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

I have a hard time believing that he doesn't know the routes. If not, part of the reason he may not know them is that he is not getting the reps he needs to learn them. Some players learn more by doing than just reading about or seeing the plays in a playbook. Besides, I also find it incredibly hard to believe that he doesn't know at least a good chunk of the routes and that he could be used on those. This isn't 1961, and the Jets aren't so loaded at talent at WR or with blocking that they can afford to not play a player with Mims' talents.

blackssmagic and Jets79 like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

None taken. I am on a bit of an emotional roller coaster. I am a passionate fan and person. My rational and emotional sides are always at war within me. It's hell to live this way, but part of what has made me a great teacher/coach and led to the successes I've had in life.

10. Losmeister

interesting reveal.

as for whether Mimsy knows the routes... neither of us knows, the coaches, however, do...

could be an example being set? (high draft pick must work ass off)

know all 3 spots AT A HIGH LEVEL...

11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Oh come on, what have the three and outs got to do with Berrios, you literally said tonight I don't have anything against him and again you're dogging him lol

He caught 5/7 targets with one of those uncatchable unless he had hands on his shoes.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I really think that Saleh's comment that he has to learn all three positions at a high level is just smokescreen to avoid saying the truth: they want Mims to work harder at his route running and maybe his attitude. That said, they can't afford to be pedantic and "cut their noses of to spite their faces". The coaches need to adapt to the realities of now. Over time they can "perfect" their schemes and plays, and acquire the right players for them, but you can't make steak out of hamburger, no matter how much better you think steak tastes.

13. NCJetsfan

Seriously, dude? I'm not dogging Berrios at all. That's your interpretation of what I said. Different players have different skill sets and impacts. Berrios is very good in what he offers, in the role he plays, but he doesn't have the size, blocking ability, catch radius, contested catch ability, heighth, or speed of Mims. Mims could easily have enabled the Jets to sustain one or more of those drives. He could run 10 yards downfield and Zach throw a backshoulder pass to him or just throw it up and let him go get it. He can't do that with Berrios. Mims is a good blocker. He could have stayed in and blocked and given Zach time to find Davis or a TE for a reception. He could have helped open a hole in a wide zone rushing attempt (if LaFleur called one, instead of running the ball up the gut).

blackssmagic likes this.
  14. K'OB

Sorry but how else are you meant to take this comment?

It literally says what it says, there is no other way to take it lol

As for the rest of your post, when Mims does that on an oftener basis then we can surmise that is what he would do with more reps but until that point in time it is supposition.

Besides I am not sure why you are even comparing the two players, they are different WR's for a start, you play to eithers strength, for me Berrios can have a role in this team like Cole Beasley has had for the Cowboys and then the Bills, a tough as nails WR that seems to make important catches that can get free on broken plays and make himself available for his QB.

15. NCJetsfan

That's solely YOUR perspective. There is nothing negative in my statement. There's totally another way to take it, or if in doubt, ask a question rather than assuming you know what the writer meant. That's why "reading between the lines" is so often utter BS.

Wha? Guy, I'm comparing the two players because the play didn't work of an unrealistic expectation on LaFleur's part that Berrios should be counted on to provide the key block for this play. If you're going to count on a WR making the key block, you want the WR who has the best likelihood of successfully making that block on the field, i.e., the one who is not only a much better blocker, but much bigger, and thus has greater odds of being successful. That's the whole premise of this dicussion.

Evidently, I assumed too much thinking that this was a no-brainer and you'd understand. I thought that we have conversed enough and with my telling you that I like Berrios, that it would be perfectly clear to you.

16. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Maybe Mims isn't fully recovered from his sickness. He lost something like 20 pounds.

17. K'OB

Evidently not.

18. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Oh, just great. Another coaching carasoul. Just what we need. No wonder this franchise can't win anything. You need stability in this organization.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

FJF and nycarl like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

https://theathletic.com/2823530/202...ne-turmoil/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

Missing Mims
    Denzel Mims’ first season in Mike LaFleur’s offense has been a rather interesting one. He was the presumed starter opposite Davis this offseason. He played that role during organized team activities. Then, in the weeks that followed, he fell, fell and fell some more down the depth chart. At one point, six receivers were working ahead of Mims in training camp. A strong showing against the Giants in the preseason opener, then words of affirmation from Saleh in the days that followed, figured to promote Mims to a point where he at least held a role on offense.

Not so much. While last year’s second-round pick caught a 40-yard pass against the Panthers, it came on one of only three offensive reps. Jeff Smith (9), Braxton Berrios (37), Moore (56) and Davis (58) all worked ahead of him.

“Mims has been doing a good job getting himself a little bit better every day,” Saleh said, “But he has to know that when you’re not one of the main three, you have to know all three spots, and you have to know them at a high level. That way you can step in and take advantage of all those opportunities. If the Z, X or F need a break, you’re the first one who goes in because you know all three spots, can execute at a high level, and you can roll.”

You’ve read here before how Mims isn’t a perfect scheme fit for the offense. He’s a much more linear player while LaFleur prefers top-tier route runners who make plays after the catch. That’s why it made sense to play guys in front of him. Saleh essentially said that Mims is limited in how much he understands the playbook, which in turn limits what the Jets can do with him.

OK. That’s fine. But it does not make sense to not play him at all.

The Baylor product has a skill set. You can’t coach his 4.3 speed and he’s tremendous at vertical routes and high-pointing passes. LaFleur figured, even if Mims wasn’t starting, to work him in and allow him to do what he does well. That isn’t happening.

This is also important to note: Mims didn’t play a single rep on special teams.

Why is that key? Jamison Crowder and Keelan Cole could be back for Sunday’s game against the Patriots. They’ll play over Mims because they’ve played over him since minicamp. It’s unlikely the Jets keep seven receivers active on game day, which could make Mims inactive. That would be quite the development and awfully telling.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

Yes it does, but you don't get stability from poor coaching and not putting your players in a position to succeed. I have loved the Saleh hiring up until this point, and still like him. I hope that he realizes his stance with Mims is dumb, changes it, learns and becomes the HC we all want him to. If not, I'm not interested in gving him 4 years like we did Todd Bowles, or 7 years (or however many) we gave Rex Ryan. Did that give us stability? NO