Joe Douglas?!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrooklynJetsFan, Sep 14, 2021.

1. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

I'm going to lay out the facts.

Joe Douglas did not choose to pay our homegrown players...FINE.

- Robby Anderson (completely wrong decision - no argument)
    - Jamal Adams (full of himself, had redundancy with Maye...so I get it)
    - Marcus Maye (well if you're not paying Adams, so you're not gonna pay Maye EITHER. complete head scratcher)

Now, you sign a bunch of FAs who are now out of the season or considerable amount of time. This is not a good look as a GM or team.
    - Lawson
    - Joyner
    - Curry (freak non-football injury)
    - Jarrad Davis

This is will never build a winning culture in NY. Never!

azhar80 likes this.
  2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Yeah man, it's absolutely Joe Douglas' fault that his FA signings got hurt because he is an all-knowing being that can predict injury. Fire JD!

I swear this board is near impossible to be on after a loss.

Skicats, apjbfc, Jets_Grinch and 15 others like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Crazy that no one has brought this up over the last 48 hours.

stinkyB and FJF like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Trading a box safety who is going to suck up 10% of the salary cap for two first round picks was the absolute right move.

I'm not sold on him quite yet but he's done both good and bad things. He's just not the lord and saviour some around here think he is, but he definitely has the right idea regarding team building. He just has to start yamming on the draft picks and we'll build a statue.

5. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

He's been mostly solid in the FA and trade department. The only really big miss for him is not re-signing Robby.

Unfortunately, I think most of the 2020 draft class is going to be a miss. Hopefully Becton performs when he comes back and Mims can find a role on this team, but because of the CS change this year I think that's a lost draft class. 2021 is the real teller IMO. Wilson, AVT, and Moore need to all become very good players.

KY Jets Fan, PJ4Ever, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Lawson - a blue chip pass rusher at a bargain price.
    Davis and Joyner two high upside low salary one year players.
    Curry a cheap situational productive pass rusher.

I don't see a single bad signing here.

They were all great signings at bargain prices. Lawson was expected to get a lot more but thanks to the pandemic cap situation we got a blue chip ascending game changing pass rusher at his peak at a bargain price.

They were all great signings. My question is if not these 4 who would you have magically signed? FA is a gamble and these were all good risks with Lawson being an absolute steal. It is just terrible luck they turned unlucky.

I cannot imagine better FA signings than these. JD can control the process but he cannot control luck. Just because we had bad luck does not mean that the process was bad or that the signings were bad. If we had to do over it again I hope we would sign all 4 again.

Having a healthy Lawson on this team would completely change this team defensively and offensively.

Skicats, JetBlue, wewantsapp and 4 others like this.
  7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'm all for criticizing Douglas when it's warranted(letting Robby walk, less than desirable performances from 2020 picks), but blaming him for FA signings who are now out for the season is a stretch.

Jets_Grinch, JetBlue, Jets79 and 5 others like this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'm really not sure why the default assumption here is that Douglas is good, considering not many good GMs, if any, would have been willing to take the job with Gase as coach.

AndyDrums likes this.
  9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

There's been some good and some bad from JD.

Good:

-Doesn't overpay, like ever
    -Realizes the importance of OL and playmakers in the modern game
    -Prioritizes high impact positions
    -Highly values draft capital
    -Tends to get more value than expected when trading

Bad:

-Despite realizing OL is important, he doesn't seem to be especially good at picking/signing them
    -Perhaps overly conservative in free agency due to never wanting to even slightly overpay
    -Whether or not he can hit on his draft picks is a big question mark
    -Because of his obsession with value, he seems to have no qualms about taking flyers on injury-prone, high upside players. This is potentially catastrophic when these injury prone players get injured or don't play to their potential. We have some very high ceiling, low floor players.

alleycat9, Jets81, Jets79 and 7 others like this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Lawson is not a blue chip pass rusher. He's a player you hoped became one, but blue chip pass rushers don't put up 5 sacks a year.

I also think Douglas screwed up in free agent in penciling in GVR as a starter, and not bringing in a better guard than Feeney to be the backup G/C. As soon as AVT missed some time in camp, some veteran bodies should've been brought in as well. There's a bunch out there.

I'm also very skeptical of Moses. I hope I'm wrong, but... Washington has playoff and division winning aspirations - why would they let him go? They have the fourth most cap space left in the league. Why was he so hell bent on coming here and no one else wanted to pay him more swimmingly?

I hope I'm wrong and he looked solid on Sunday when he came in.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

It feels so sadly fitting that in the two great receiver classes this decade we have walked away with Jace Amaro and Denzel Mims.

Cman68 and REVISion like this.
  12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Blue chip pass rushers are the ones who don't become FA's in their prime. We need to find our own Watt, Bosa, or Mack in the draft. Thibodeaux is the one blue chip player now, but Harrison from Ohio State could move closer to that level with a good season.

For the OL, I thought he messed up when he waited until day 3 last year to take an IOL. I would've taken Cushenberry instead of Davis or Zuniga.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

And Lawson and Becton are question marks joined together. Was Lawson getting all those sacks in TC because Becton was dogging it, or declining against speed rushers, or did Lawson suddenly become John Abraham in the offseason? The truth is Lawson probably would have been a solid, if not spectacular, edge rusher. But some here are convinced he was the next Abraham. After 4 seasons in the league Lawson was what he was. He was simply a project we were taking a chance on.

#13 ouchy, Sep 14, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

We can't change the front office every two years. He is the best GM the Jets have had in a long time. Let's give the guy five minutes

15. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Your hypothesis requires that it is more likely a FA will be injured on his new team than an established player on the team. It's an interesting question but hard to analyze. You'd have to match the FA with continuing team players with same quality and even same position.

For example, a JAG like Jarrad Davis can be compared to JAG LB's who stay with the same team in probability of injury. Guys like Lawson should be compared with guys like TJ Watt who sign big contracts but continue with same team.

It's not impossible that the new FA have a higher probability of injury due to the new environment but without showing this evidence you're going to get the business from the peanut gallery.

16. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

unless I missed something, no one is suggesting they fire him. Like others stated he has done some things well and not so well but he is a helluvalot (sp) better then what we have had.

cval and REVISion like this.
  17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

No posts since May and here you are with 2 out 3 posts with your JD hate on show again, bore off.

Skicats, PJ4Ever, Red Menace and 2 others like this.
  18. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Same people bitchin bout Adams are the same people who cry there are no leaders and there is no fire..
    Weird how that works...

He's knows NOTHING john snow...nothing.

Footballgod214 and barfolomew like this.
  19. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

QB hurries are a much better indicator of how good a pass rusher is than sacks. Here Lawson is a top 5 pass rusher and yes a blue chipper. But, more importantly he was ascending blue chip pass rusher joining a team with a system mors geared towards his strength and with the talent on the line to give him more opportunities. It is a shame as blue chip pass rushers almost never hit the open market except in a pandemic salary cap crunch year. The signing of lawson could have transformed this team more than any other player on it. It is a shame what happened. But the signing of Lawson was a great signing by JD and Saleh. Before Lawson got injured he was the best player on the team with by far the biggest impact.

20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Do you not think bringing Adams into this discussion is a little desperate?

Adams is a massive dickhead and is a poison in a franchise.

Plenty of things to bitch about without wishing a gobshite was still on our team.