All Six Zach Sacks

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MowTin, Sep 14, 2021.

1. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

[​IMG]

Becton gets beat

[​IMG]

Nobody knows what they're doing

[​IMG]

Fant ruins the pocket? Why isn't Becton blocking the DE?

[​IMG]

Free rusher. Who messed up? Zach?

[​IMG]

Fant sucks

[​IMG]

Tucker, McGovern, Van Roten can't handle a twist. 4 vs 5

2. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

1) Agreed

2) Communication. Must NOT happen again or starts becoming a coaching problem

3) Not Fant or Becton fault. The playcall was for Becton to seal inside with having Wesco and other RB block the edge. Issue was the stunt from the middle came around. This was a good defensive call against the play and protection scheme

4) Wilson never looked to the right. If he does easy completion against the blitz.

5) Fant missed block. but terrible PA call. Run protection scheme and defense was NOT biting. This works when you can RUN THE BALL

6) Middle stunt. Belichick will eat us alive on Sunday.

3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

He's getting hit hard way too much, and those were just the sacks. We gotta hope a lot of these problems can be cleaned up and its not a talent issue.

4. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

They need to come up with a very conservative simple max protect offense. We'll lose but at least not like this getting Wilson killed. I thought that last sack would have sent him to concussion protocol.

Saleh has not accepted that our O-line is garbage and work around that. Please don't go for it on 4th and 1 again.

Br4d, REVISion, Acad23 and 4 others like this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The scariest part is that these are all four man rushes when we had six blockers. I'll retract what I said in another thread - this wasn't an issue with Wilson + communication about the protection. This was a bunch of dopes that looked like they had little will and couldn't handle basic line stunts that are taught to high school seniors.

Nothing exotic on anyone of those plays.

SOJAZ, Royal Tee and REVISion like this.
  6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think any number of veteran QBs call changes in the protection there that I don't expect them to be handing to Zach yet. So right now I'm going to guess it's all on McGovern to do that and it's an extra hat he's probably not good enough to wear.

Pepsiguy5, Jets81, NCJetsfan and 3 others like this.
  7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Kind of agree on #1 but I also partially attribute that sack to GVR/McGovern. They got bull rushed back into Zach's lap, leaving Zach nowhere to step up into the pocket.

I think #2 will get itself worked out as Fant/AVT or Becton/AVT play more together. Clear miscommunication on assignments.

That pocket is so muddy on #3 that I have no clue who's really at fault so I just say all of them. All 4 DL for the Panthers get their hands on Zach at some point. Tough rep to watch. The protection probably called for the TE and RB to double the DE there, that's why Becton went to the DT.

I do think #4 was on Zach. I'm not sure if he's the one adjusting the protections at this point or not but if he is, he definitely missed that one. The sack is still "on Fant" though but probably Zach's mistake.

#5 looks to be an RPO to me as both AVT and McGovern pull to the left. If Fant blocks the DE, Zach probably has a clear throwing lane to Moore on the slant. I honestly don't know what Fant did there. Almost looks like he fired off the ball expecting it to be a for sure handoff and got smoked around the edge. Surely this is not how they tell him to block for RPO's.

#6 is just ugly and will get Zach killed if they continue to let it happen.

Tough stuff to watch man. This OL needs to get it figured out and fast or our season will be eerily similar to the 2020 Bengals.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't see any protection changes needed in 1, 2, 3 or 6. Wilson needs to be more aware of the free rusher on five but so does the runningback that blows right by him. 4 doesn't look like a protection call issue and I won't put it solely on him but he has to get rid of that ball. He'll learn that.

It could be a protection call issue, but even if it is, it shouldn't be that ugly. The lineman get hands on most of those rushers, they just both play paddy cake with him in the middle and aren't sure who takes him.

SOJAZ, cval and KY Jets Fan like this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

nothing worse than watching big linemen hit nobody. thanks for posting though

REVISion, dawinner127 and barfolomew like this.
  10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I like how the RB on 1 and 4 just run by the free rusher. Zach can avoid that guy let me go out for a pass.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

The last one was the 3 middle guys not communicating the stunt. And GVR ended up blocking no one. McGovern was initially trying to help Tucker then tried to help back to the right by the stunting linemen. These are a lot of communication things that need to be cleaned up.

NCJetsfan and cval like this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

1) this one seems to be on fant. burns came in unblocked. they only rushed 4. fant picked up the DT, mcgovern picked up the DT and was helped by AVT, GVR blocked nobody. becton stonewalled his DE
    2) PA, everyone but fant blocked well, the d-line fell for the PA creating a huge pile by the RB of lineman. however fant was beat right away and that DE wasn't fooled and zach couldn't escape. sack and FF but zach jumped on the loose ball
    3) Becton got beat but held block long enough, pocket was clean, zach should have stepped up or rolled outside but didn't feel the pressure. I'd call it 50% on zach and 50% on becton. wilson was contacted after a good 3.5-4 seconds in the pocket. ball needs to be out or he needs to move at that point
    4) They rush 4. picked up well. becton passes LDE to griffin with help from RB ty. 2 inside DTs are both doubled. RDE has fant 1v1. After 2 seconds the DT breaks free of a double team by GVR and mcgovern and the DE breaks free from a double team of griffin and ty. zach breaks out of the sack but eventually gets sacked form another player. this was just piss poor blocking. 2 double teams got beat by a single player each. we called a max protect, picked it all up well and then just got beat
    5) They rush 6, jets have 6 to block (left a RB in who was ty). RB doesn't see the stunt and helps mcgovern who was instantly beat and the stunt blitzer gets a free shot. I had to watch this a few times and it's tough to call exactly who is at fault but it's a combination of ty and mcgovern. looks like the stunt just confused the 2 of them. mcgovern was late to 1 block because he expected to be blocking someone else and ty had to help him as that guy got right by him and ty's guy got a free rush unblocked.
    6) they rush 4 using a stunt. initially it looked good. GVR is free, AVT and mcgovern have a double team on the DT, fant is in good position and moses is as well at RT. mcgovern whiffs on his man on the stunt and AVT/Mcgovern get beat at the same time allowing 2 up the middle. the entire IOL failed on this one but moses and fant looked good

13. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

And another one.....

14. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

This is awesome. thanks for sharing,

15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I hope Lafleur has a Plan B for Sunday.

Like a subset of plays involving roll outs, hot routes & slip screens.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

#6 was a brutal hit. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen too often.

REVISion, ouchy and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

WILDCAT!!!!!

Acad23 and ouchy like this.
  18. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I actually thought to throw that in... we do have Leon Washington on the team...:rolleyes:

19. MowTin

MowTin Active Member

You have a point about #1. If Van Roten and McGovern don't get bull rushed so deep into the pocket Zach could have stepped up and avoided the sack.

The line looked like a bunch of rookies. McGovern has been in the league 6 years. I don't know what's his excuse.

I saw the Pats play and they were very conservative. Lots of quick passes and runs. Lots of dump offs and checkdowns.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The Jets' offensive game plan for this week needs to mirror that, as well as mix in quick passes, a few slants, screens and some draw plays to slow down the pass rush.