Denzel Mims?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, Sep 12, 2021.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Whenever we listen to Saleh we have to keep in mind that he's never going to outright criticize someone directly. With that in mind it's important to read between the lines to infer the true meaning of his comments.

Him saying Mims has to know everything in the playbook at a high level doesn't mean Mims knows everything at a good level. The takeaway from such a comment is more likely that Mims doesn't have the minimum understanding necessary to see more than a few reps per game.

Do you honestly think the coaches have some sort of vendetta against Mims and are keeping him from playing despite him being a stud? Our coaches want to win too, why would they do that?

2. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

it's sad ...

being a Jet fan... you see the misery that this team has inflicted on your fellow man/woman

could Mims' illness have pushed him outta the 1st 3 spots and then he had to go back to learn ALL the spots?

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think there's also a huge element of reading coverages with the quarterback in all NFL systems that he just might not be getting.

Romo highlighted it in the Browns game yesterday. Obviously Mahomes and Kelce are way ahead of any of these guys given their chemistry but Kelce was running up to a linebacker in zone who had inside leverage and cut inside. Mahomes held the ball because he expected Kelce to cut outside and he didn't and he ended up getting sacked. They showed Kelce throw his hands on his head because he realized how dumb of a mistake he made in personally reading the coverage wrong.

Fans (not you) tend to assume struggling with the playbook as simply not running a fly route on the play call in the huddle. And it goes so much further than that, especially for receivers. There's so much that happens in the 20 seconds before the snap that none of us ever consciously see or know is happening between a quarterback and the other ten players on the field.

Football is much more of a thinking game than it ever was. So if a receiver doesn't know the "playbook" well it feels as though someone could just tell them in the huddle what their route is in the huddle. And it's just not that simple.

ukjetsfan, cval, BacktoQueens and 3 others like this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

That’s not what happened, the coaching staff was assembled and then they went out and signed/ drafted 3 wide receivers. That right there was the first clue that mims wasn’t a shanahan offense type wr. Add in crowder and he was coming into camp as wr5 at best.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

We signed 2 because we didn't think moore would be there in the 2nd round. or that AVT would be there long enough to trade up for. We did it for draft flexibility so we weren't tied into anything in particular.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

That's all baseless speculation.

ouchy and FJF like this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The talent is there though. If he can't remember all the plays, or is a bad blocker, or fell behind the rest because he was sick, etc, I still don't see why he can't be a WR4 and run deep routes, or run slants at the goal line. He is clearly good enough to do that. There must be another reason why the coaching staff has buried him on the depth chart.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

well maybe but even if they thought Mims was or wasn't a Shanahan type, this team still needed 3 WRs. Crowder is the one they almost ran out of town and seemingly woulda been content with doing so.

I dont think the GM would've been so easy to give up on a guy he drafted a year ago in the 2nd round just cause the new guys dont like the scheme fit. I think they were counting on Mims and he disappointed them

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Agreed, and if the CS just wrote him off before even the first practice, then they are arrogant and stupid, and JD should have traded him rather than wasting a roster spot and a year of Mims' career. If FJF is correct, and that is indeed what happened, then I suddenly am a lot less optimistic about the Jets' future, because neither JD, Saleh, or LaFleur are as bright as I thought they were.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  10. FJF

Saleh explained it. They aren’t pulling the top 3 guys off unless they need a blow . That’s life on the bench. You wait and hope for a chance. The good news is he made a play when he had a chance, the bad news is there’s 2 more receivers coming back . Mims is looking at being deactivated week 2

11. FJF

They weren’t cutting crowder till they drafted Moore. They had already signed Davis and Cole . So right off the bat mims was looking at wr4 at best if they cut crowder. Realistically wr5 seeing that berrios missed a bunch of time and still stepped right in as punt returner and getting wr reps. Players get schemed out all the time during regime changes (see Vilma, Jonathan) it sucks but it happens and it’s why I hate the calls for coachs’ heads after just a year or so

12. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

I listened to Coach Saleh on The Michael Kay Show today and Michael as him why he didn't use Mims more. Saleh said he wants certain reveuvers to play all three WR positions. Mims has not out in the work yet to do that was his answer.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

13. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

They could just really like Crowder and Cole and are comfortable with them for the 2021 season. Then let them walk in 2022 and Mims jumps up the depth chart pretty quickly after spending 2021 learning. They were both out yesterday though, which is why fans expected to see more of Mims.

Yeah, that is life. Hopefully Mims continues to improve in practice and gives the coaching staff a reason to give him more looks.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Sounds liek the issue with mims is he doens't know the playbook well enough and isn't one of the top 3 so the extra reps when the top 3 are out goes to the players who know the playbook better. which is berrios and cole mostly. i'm assuming the top 3 are davis/crowder/moore

REVISion likes this.
  15. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Easy now.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

REVISion likes this.
  16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

my initial reaction to this line of thinking is that if your offense is SO fucking complex that it takes 3 years to learn it (the older folks will remember Paul Fucking Hackett and his stupid fucking offense) then that’s on the coaches. Unless Mims is dumb as a rock (which I doubt) I have a hard time imagining that he can’t run some routes. If your complex offense is putting up 45 points a game, I’ll give you the leeway…but I ain’t giving it when the offense is putting up 14 points per game

So yeah, I’m pissed…still only one game but I didn’t like the offense much at all yesterday…play calling was shit

NCJetsfan and King Koopa like this.
  17. toddhershkowitz

toddhershkowitz Active Member

just trade the guy

Cman68 likes this.
  18. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I get that answer from Saleh, BUT I assume he has to know atleast one of the 3 WR positions pretty well.

Should have been Davis-Mims-Moore..He should explain why Mims isn’t thought of as being a better player than Berrios to be honest as a follow up question. Berrios is fine as a backup slot guy and special teamer but that’s where it ends. If Mims isn’t as good as that then it’s a serious indictment on our GM and his drafting evaluations. Can’t have it both ways.

Either way Mims needs to keep working hard and make the coaches have to play him I guess

Jets79, NCJetsfan and Cman68 like this.
  19. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The system is new to pretty much every offensive player we have. I'm willing to bet the problem lies with Mims more than the system itself.

I do agree the play calling was shit yesterday but that's different than the system being too difficult to learn.

Jets79 and FJF like this.
  20. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

He had a severe case of food poisoning that knocked him out for a while and he lost a ton of his muscle weight apparently during the summer. He also seems like the type that may rub some coaches the wrong way with his demeanor (he’s pretty quiet and maybe a little bit aloof from what I can tell). Add that all in with him having some trouble with the system and knowing all of the positions and it makes sense.

I still believe there should be a middle ground here where the coaches should be able to find ways to give him more run than 2 damn snaps in favor of less talented WRs and should be able to use his strengths in certain situations.

He has to work harder on the mental side of the game and they need to be more open minded is where I’m going with this one from the information we have

NCJetsfan likes this.