Denzel Mims?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, Sep 12, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You do realize that only 3-4 rookie WRs have averaged 40 yards per game their rookie seasons, and they're all top WRs now don't you? That should count for something. Mims should be seeing the field more than Smith. If nothing else, he could run 5-10 yards down the field, stop and come back for a catch since he is great at contested catches. Until something proves otherwise, LaFleur IS an idiot imo until his play calling improves and some clear reason is given for why Mims is not playing more.

#41 NCJetsfan, Sep 13, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  2. NCJetsfan

If you watched him in college and studied him leading up to the draft and saw how he got open against some of the top CBs last year and accomplished something few other rookie WRs have (averaging 40 yards per game), you'd know why he has a high ceiling.

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

1) If Mims' problem is field awareness and route running, then it's hard to improve on those things working with the scout team during the week and riding the pine on Sundays. Just like we're playing Zack to learn and improve in real time, we should be doing the same with Mims. There's no reason Mims can't be our Robbie Anderson. They both only run one route, and RA had 1000 yards last season. LaFleur should have NO PROBLEM getting a 6'3" with 4.3 speed behind the D, ESPECIALLY running play action that pulls the LBers and Safties forwards. It worked just fine for Charlotte....Anderson got behind Maye AND Redwine on a play action to CMC. COME ON MAN. I'm not terribly impressed with LeFleur, but it's still early. This was his first game ever calling plays, and his was trying to keep Zack upright with running plays. Hopefully Saleh will 'have a word' with LaFleur and he'll open up the deep shots against NE.

2) NC disagreed with me about Parcells using the media to terrorize (motivate?) his players. But trust me, if Wild Bill was our HC, the whole world would know why Mims is not a bigger part of the game plan.

King Koopa, PJ4Ever and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

I agree that if Tuna was our HC we'd know why Mims wasn't playing, but we'd probably have other issues and problems, and Zach might not even be playing. Screw Tuna.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

considering all the drops we had and the fact it wasn't garbage time but instead put us in position to make it a 1 score game with 2 mins left means it was a good play

50ShadesOfGreen likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Dude... Trotting out some extremely weird and subjective statistic like averaging 40 yards per game in 9 games on an offense that had one, maybe two other NFL skill position players is pretty silly.

Mims needs to be out there and start producing or he's going to be a journeyman next year.

By the way - who are the other 3-4 that have done so? Justin Jefferson, Jerry Jeudy, CeeDee Lamb, Brandon Aiyuk, Laviska Shenault Jr., Tee Higgins and Chase Claypool all did it from the same rookie class alone. Pittman Jr. + Gabriel Davis almost did it as the 3rd/4th option.

So I'm not sure where you're getting this from.

REVISion and PJ4Ever like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree, but that's no surprise. We rarely, if ever agree on anything.

The stat has been posted on the site at least twice before, so I have no idea where you've been and why you haven't seen it.

I don't remember where I saw the stat or whom the other WRs were. It probably was Michael Nania.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Ok so please fill me in as I missed it. Post it again. I just posted 7 players from Mims' own draft class that have done it. It's not a miraculous feat.

Only Jefferson and Lamb are considered top-flight receivers.

I'll wait for your response.

9. NCJetsfan

I don't remember where I found it, and don't have time to look for it. The source could have been mistaken. I could care less if you believe me or not. Why don't you post your source that 7 players achieved it last season? You could have made that up or be mistaken. It wouldn't be the first time, and you are douchebag, and are just contrarian to most everything I post. In fact, I shouldn't have even wasted my time responding to you. Go fuck yourself.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

From the 2019 class, Marquise Brown, Deebo Samuel, AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, Diontae Johnson, Terry McLaurin, Hunter Renfrow, and Darius Slayton all averaged 40 yards/game their rookie year.

From the 2018 class, DJ Moore, Calvin Ridley, Courtland Sutton, Christian Kirk, Keke Coutee made the mark.

What do you mean, crybaby? My source is the stat books at footballreference.com. Go look it up for yourself or stop trotting out misinformation as facts and then scolding people for being wrong when it's YOU that is in fact wrong because you misremembered what a 19 year old blogger wrote.

Here you go. I'm not posting all of them. You can use the search function on the website yourself.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KirkCh01.htm

You can divide 590 yards/12 games yourself or use the Y/G statistic which stands for yards per game under their rookie year stats. Look up every single one I listed and let me know what's wrong.

#50 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 13, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    IDFjet likes this.
  11. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I don’t even like using stats to justify things like this (good or bad) because so many things go into that. Our offense last season was an unmitigated disaster, I don’t think Randy Moss in his prime would have put up big numbers honestly.

We saw just last season that coaches do whatever the hell they want with no rhyme or reason at times. 40 year old Frank Gore was getting the bulk of the work, was he better than Ty Johnson?

I just don’t see why we wouldn’t give Mims a shot to sink or swim over practice squad players in real games? Some guys don’t practice well but turn it on during the game. No idea if Mims is like that but I want to see for myself.

If it’s some other reason then let us know...It’s not normal for a high pick/ 2nd year player with certain attributes that stand out, who at worst flashed as a rookie, to be getting this kind of treatment in favor of nobodies.

I would have serious questions about the whole organization if they simply don’t like his route running on certain plays in practice. Smart coaches put players in position to succeed with their strengths.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

I don't get it either, to be honest. Mims needs to be on the field. But that's what leads me to believe there's something going on behind the scenes that's unreported or he really is that lost in running routes/the play book, or he's simply not good enough.

It's one of those three. It's not a personal vendetta.

King Koopa likes this.
  13. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I have a very hard time believing he’s simply not good enough. Not to say he’s good himself as I don’t know but I KNOW the guys playing ahead of him right now are not and never will be good.

It probably is a combo of route running / playbook issues as that makes the most sense for how coaches operate. I still just can’t accept that they can’t find him plays that fit his strengths in the meantime though....Drags, Flys, Deep posts, etc. 2 snaps is inexcusable to me.

NCJetsfan and Cman68 like this.
  14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I was bummed when the Bengals took Higgins to open round 2. He was the one I wanted.

Losmeister likes this.
  15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Mims might want to rent instead of buy a house in this area. Highly doubtful the CS has much use for him in LeFleur's system.

Sack exchange and REVISion like this.
  16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Wow, it's almost as if our coaches have more insight into why Mims has been invisible than us. It's almost as if there are valid reasons he hasn't been playing. It's almost as if some of us have been saying this exact thing while some people here pull their hair out acting like our coaches are complete morons who don't see Mims as the elite talent they do.

Learning a playbook is part of being a good player. A big part.

FJF and Jets81 like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

IMO this is stupid. Saleh said in his post game press conference that Mims had his best practice of the year on Friday. So even though he may be better than Berrios or Smith, he's not playing because he doesn't know all the WR positions? SMH I thought Saleh was a smart guy, but obviously, he's not very smart if he's refusing to use a potential weapon because Mims doesn't know all the WR positions. He can only play one position at a time. Since he's backing up Davis, I assume that he knows the #1 WR position. Even if he doesn't know the WR #2 position fully, he has to know enough that the Jets could use him in the mean time on the routes he does know, then by the time the NFL catches up to which routes those are, maybe Mims will have learned the rest or others. He can also help with run blocking, which neither Moore, nor Berrios, nor Smith can do.

If this CS can't adapt and use Mims, then the hell with them and with this team. I am so sick of this stupid shit with this team.

Cman68 likes this.
  18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Not knowing the playbook is a pretty massive flaw. You cannot play a guy that doesn't know what he's supposed to do when a play is called.

#58 REVISion, Sep 13, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Ralebird, MoWilkBeast and FJF like this.
  19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Its the biggest issue thats never talked about with players in the NFL. Especially important for a WR since the QB needs to be able to trust where he's at before uncorking a throw into coverage

REVISion likes this.
  20. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

Video on some of the above comments Saleh gave on Mims:

Say what you will about Mims being behind Berrios (which I assume may be slot specific?), but probs to Saleh for going into this amount of detail, I guess. Feel like we don't typically get this much explanation.

MoWilkBeast and nycarl like this.