Mekhi Becton

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Sep 10, 2021.

1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

But Fant did not play well at RT or LT.

2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Are you honestly using him weighing 380 as evidence he's not overweight? Being 380 means he's one of the 10 heaviest guys to ever play in the NFL. God forgive us for wanting a guy we took 11th overall to be in shape.

You're also acting like his weight is completely out of his control - it's not. It's a very simple equation - either eat less or do more cardio. That's literally all there is to it. It's purely a discipline issue with Becton at this point unless you want to speculate he has some sort of medical issue which prevents him from losing weight.

Also - no bad tape on game day? The guy had a PFF grade of 74 last season. That's not awful but it's nowhere near good or very good. If you grade out a 74 over an entire season then you have plenty of bad tape on game day.

You truly are a bad take machine.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think the "hate" is coming from three things. One, some posters wanted Wirfs and not Becton, so it's only natural that at the first sign or trouble, they're ready to dump him and claim that they were right. Two, I think some posters are starting to get excited and optimistic about the team's future, and they want a winner now! They're tired of the losing, and have no patience with any player who doesn't play up to the level they think he should or who gets injured. Three, I think some are really excited about Wilson at QB and don't want to see him injured. They're fed up with our OL playing like crap, and fear for Wilson's health. I can't blame them for that. I have been a huge fan of taking Becton and of Becton, but even I am starting to have some concerns. It could be mostly due to the negativity from other posters here, but is also due to his struggles with the new blocking scheme this year and his injuries. I don't want the pick to be wasted. Even more importantly, however, I don't want him getting Zach seriously injured with his struggles. At this point I don't know if switching blocking schemes was a mistake as Becton and Moses may not be ideal fits, if Becton will be able to make the switch in time and still play at a high level, or if he needs to lose 30-40 pounds in order to stay healthy and play at a higher level in this blocking scheme. I'm willing to give him time and take a wait and see approach however, because it's way too early to give up on him.

4. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

It's not that he will get Zach hurt, he's just a pedestrian NFL starter it appears. The problem is he can't stay healthy because of his diet and that will get Zac hurt.

We need to trade for a RG or Center ASAP. We need to be serious about giving Zac a chance to success. Even if we miss playoffs by a mile. Zac has 16 NFL games to play, it's not going to be a fun year. We will see how we look vs NE but we need to run the ball lol. It's simple. TRade for a overpriced veteran, IDC. Who else are we going to spend on? No FA actually come here lol

Acad23, ouchy and REVISion like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

There is a shortage of quality OL in the NFL. Injuries are commonplace. No team is going to trade a starting-quality OL to us, overpriced or not. If there was one to be had, I wouldn't mind JD trading for him, just to ensure that Zach stays healthy. There are some FAs still out there, but they may be no better than what we have.

The best FA OL still out there are:

Mitchell Schwartz OT 32
    David DeCastro OG 31
    Russell Okung OT 32
    Rick Wagner OT 31
    Austin Reiter C 29
    Demar Dotson OT 35
    DJ Fluker OG 30
    Roderick Johnson OT 25
    Joe Dahl OG 28
    Nick Easton OG 29

Borat likes this.
  6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Eh I’d rather listen to guys that have praised him like Baldy and said he was good last year then couch guys who say he’s fat and likely weigh the same as he does.

He was already 364 reportedly when he was drafted. He got up to 380 which isn’t good and what was the reasoning he actually worked to get away from that number at likely back at his 364 college weight…I’m saying his weight hasn’t been as much as an issue as people on this forum and Cimini have claimed it to be because he’s struggled in a new blocking scheme so far. If so then that’s on both the staff and Becton if he simply can’t adjust.

It’s unfair to bash this kid off of legit practice reps. He was the 2nd rated tackle out of the draft behind Wirfs while playing the more demanding position then Wirfs and everyone was praising him that he can be special. So no, struggling in camp should make Becton go from he has all pro potential to now he’s fat and he should be traded. That’s asinine and needs to stop.

I’m fine with being critical of his play but acting like he’s suddenly not a good player is the true bad take, so sorry go somewhere with thinking I have the bad takes. I’m not willing to throw away a 22 year old kid in his 2nd year because he’s struggled in camp under a new system or because he’s “fat”. Ridiculous

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I thought the false start was incorrectly given to him but I could be wrong

8. Mogriffjr

You roll with what you have. Fant and Moses are fine IMO.

Oh and OL injuries I’ll like to mention for example, Ronnie Stanley, the highest paid and arguably the best LT in the game, started 12 games as a rookie, was hurt in 4 games that year due to a foot injury. Had a concussion in his second year, believe he missed two games that year. Missed 1 game in his 3rd year all while developing into what he is today. 4th year he finally put it together, became arguably the best pass protecting LT in the game, finally got his big contract in 2020, before breaking his ankle and missing about 10 games last year.

This is football, so expecting guys to be totally healthy is a bit unfair, and I won’t sit here and say in regards to Becton it’s because of his weight. That’s my issue for me. He’s in his second year. This team is in a full blown youth movement and fans want to trade or run him out of town? In his second year? Stop.

Red Menace and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Why wait?
    He's been awful this year.

There's more evidence he'll get worse than get any better at his job... and that job is to protect our quarterback.
    One could argue he's got the 2nd most important job on the field.

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I am in the camp where I just don't want to see Zach hurt or ruined, because I believe we have a real talent here. Becton was rather #6 tackle in football last year by the people that matter: https://jetsxfactor.com/2021/07/11/executives-coaches-rank-mekhi-becton-top-10-nfl-tackle/ .

My expectation was that he will be improved this year to play like a top 6 guy. Instead from bad training camp to the point his coaches are shitting on him and everyone gets a sack against him, to the pedestrian season opener, to the injury, it's just very frustrating. We can argue he wasn't as terrible as some say on Sunday before he got injured, but he certainly wasn't a top 10 tackle either or even good, there is no argument there. AND got seriously hurt for about half a year after a poor outing. It's just frustrating I would say more than anything - especially when he needs to play and and play well to protect Zack.

11. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

DeCastro has an injured ankle and is likely retired, but it's criminal Schwartz isn't on this team.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Becton is going to balloon up weight wise while he's hurt too.

REVISion likes this.
  13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Doordash is about to get richer.

REVISion likes this.
  14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Lets hope not

15. Mogriffjr

silly to think that. His conditioning obviously won’t be good because his knee is hurt but yeah, because he’s a big “fat” guy who will get 400 lbs. gotcha.

bicketybam likes this.
  16. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Not to worry about Mekhi gaining wait during his injury rehab. I bought him an XXXXXXXXXXXL size Speedo. he's going to swim every day; and come back looking like a buffer Michael Phelps.

cval likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Ronnie Stanley looked like absolute shit last night off his injury for what it's worth. He and Leatherwood got bullied by Crosby and Ngakoue all night. And yeah he's looked pretty good for his career, but he also gets the injury prone label so I'm not sure what the point is.

18. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

The best thing about Mekhi's injury being only 4-6 weeks is that we have a backup. We need to pray that if Moses or Fant goes down, it's not until Mekhi is back. We must protect 2

19. Jonathan_Vilma

It's not a silly thought but it's entirely possible that it is a speculative overreaction on my part. It's also possible that I'm right.

He's not just a "big fat guy" and it's not even really about being fat. He's fit for a guy his size. But that doesn't mean that given his genetic makeup it will always naturally be hard for him to control his weight. It would probably be hard to tell if he slammed on 20 pounds of fat because he's so big and tall. But he's just a monster human being and weight and health and such is generally always an every day battle for people who are bigger than humans naturally are.

20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It's not silly at all. Losing weight is purely a function of calories consumed and calories burned. Becton will be totally unable to burn the usual amount of calories he does because he'll be inactive during recovery.

This is a guy who can't keep his weight down while perfectly healthy, and you're not concerned about what will happen to his weight while he's forced into being immobile?