Denzel Mims?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, Sep 12, 2021.

1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Multiple beat writers have said Mims is not a good route runner. I don't know why we refuse to believe them. Probably because Jets fans have this weird vendetta against beat writers despite them mainly just calling trash teams trash over the last few decades. We need to stop shooting the messengers.

AJW, Jonathan_Vilma and Ralebird like this.
  2. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I’m not shooting any messengers if that’s truly the reason, but I’ve heard that and many other excuses but mainly just them being cryptic about Mims throughout the summer.

Now that week 1 has passed, 2 WRs are out, and Mims plays 2 snaps, makes one big play in one of them, Jets fans are still wondering WTF is going on here.

I accept that LeFleur possibly doesn’t like his route running, but I don’t accept not putting him in position to run routes he’s good at and scheming plays to use his talents. Sorry, coaches can be hard headed and have their favorites..hell half of them suck to be honest and get to the NFL due to nepotism and other similar reasons

3. King Koopa

This in a nutshell

4. REVISion

I don't think Mims' catch today means much. It certainly doesn't mean we made some grave mistake not playing him more. He floated behind a DB who barely paid attention to him and caught an easy pass in garbage time. It wasn't a fantastic route, catch, or effort after the catch.

I agree with your last paragraph and I wasn't impressed by LaFleur today by any means.

FJF and Cman68 like this.
  5. King Koopa

I’m not putting everything into one broken play, but is it too much to ask to want to see (in my opinion) a promising and physically gifted young player given a chance to play over the likes of Jeff Smith and Berrios? He’s big, can run fast, jump high, and catches the ball. It shouldn’t take a genius to draw up a few plays that take advantage of his natural gifts. He may not run the quick slant as sharp as Jeff F’n Smith I get it

6. REVISion

There are big, fast, athletic guys who fail in the NFL all the time. Mims was decent last year, that's it. I don't know why we're expecting him to be some world beater. He averaged 40 receiving yards per game last season and had 0 TD's.

All I'm saying is that maybe, just maybe, our coaches aren't complete idiots and there are perfectly valid reasons Mims wasn't featured much in the offseason or today.

FJF likes this.
  7. King Koopa

Again no one is saying he’s some world beater but the guys playing over him are JAGS at best. Using stats from last years train wreck is not going to move the needle for me. He made plays as a rookie in limited action, he has plus physical attributes and he was drafted high. That’s a good enough reason to want to see more of a second year player at the expense of practice squad caliber guys. If we were legit 5 deep with great wrs then fine but today we weren’t, not even close

I’m going to side with idiots until proven otherwise considering Coleman was the starting RB and Fant was the starting RT with more talented players behind them. The offense was also abysmal until late in garbage time.

8. REVISion

As of right now Mims is a JAG as well. We have nothing that suggests otherwise other than the fact that he was drafted in the 2nd round. We should put more weight in performance during NFL games played than round drafted.

We currently have more evidence to suggest Mims is a JAG than we do to suggest our coaches are idiots. You can't hand-waive away an entire season of mediocrity from Mims and at the same time be certain our coaches are idiots after one game.

9. King Koopa

I’d rather see him play over known and proven jags with literally zero ceiling...That’s all it comes down to. If Mims sucks let me see it with my own eyes, all I’m asking

Apparently you and our genius OC who devised one hell of a game plan today are on the same page here.

10. REVISion

How do we know Mims has a high ceiling? Because he's 6'3 and ran a 4.3? That's not how it works. His best game during his career was 3 catches for 71 yards. Jeff Smith has had a better game than that.

I think some people overrated Mims last year because he was one of the few decent spots in a historically bad WR unit. That overrating has led to unnecessary questioning of his invisibility this offseason and game.

Sack exchange and FJF like this.
  11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Thank you. I was starting to get concerned about the lack of [PLAYER NAME] [QUESTION MARK] threads.

Mims is obviously in the dog house for something that we’re not aware of. Either that or he really just brings nothing to the table.

I’m going with dog house.

12. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

this.

wonder if he is still struggling physically, conditioning wise....after the whole illness weight loss issue??? cryptic is spot on

King Koopa likes this.
  13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

weight loss food poison from over a month ago is a bullshit excuse

I have no idea why he’s not playing, but you’d think we’d give him a shot…it’s not like we have Randy Moss or Jerry Rice ahead of him

it’s definitely a question

IDFjet and King Koopa like this.
  14. King Koopa

LOL actually that is how it works. That’s why it’s called a ceiling. Berrios and Smith are practice squad level. If your 2nd round pick, 2nd year player doesn’t have a higher ceiling than them you should be fired on the spot as GM for incompetence

blackssmagic and KY Jets Fan like this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He wasn't a good route runner in college. He was a good raw combination of size and speed with a relatively good ability to jump and catch balls. Big 12 defensive backs are so bad and watching Mims in college a lot, he just ran by them against those rush 3 drop 8 schemes. He's not that different than Josh Doctson or Jaelen Reagor. You're drafting the athlete, not the receiver.

That's not to say these players can't become good receivers. But if the coaching staff and player don't gel to make that happen, he's useless. Mims needs to be on the outside running flies, fades and posts and be a back shoulder guy because he's big enough.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think you're making Revision and others exact point. Berrios and Smith are lowly talents and they are still getting more run than Mims. The hope and assumption is always that the coaching staff puts the best player on the field to win games.

They do not seem to believe Mims is one of those guys.

#36 Jonathan_Vilma, Sep 13, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  17. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

This times a million. A good OC puts his players in positions to succeed. Mims is clearly more talented than Jeff Smith and more athletic than Berrios. There's no excuse for him being behind those guys on the depth chart.

DK Metcalf had an incredibly limited route tree coming into the NFL and now he's viewed as a top 10-15 WR. Before everyone freaks out, clearly Mims is not DK but he's a 2nd round pick that played well during his rookie season and was solid in preseason. I'm giving LaFleur a little bit of leeway here because he's a rookie OC, he's trying to figure it out like almost everyone on this team, but Mims HAS to be on the field more.

18. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

All I know is 2 snaps, 1 target, 1 reception 40 yards. Those are the FACTS.
    Get this man some snaps and targets.

There is clearly something going on behind closed doors here. Is it a personality issue? A desire issue?
    Regardless, guy has some talent as we've seen. Again, it's not like we're trotting D. Hopkins or DJ Metcalf out there in front of him.

PS- Where was E. Moore all day....Media and coach's pumped this kid up and he was less impactful than Mims with 10X snaps and 4X targets!

19. King Koopa

Yes to your last paragraph...He can continue to work on the rest of the route tree but he can help the team with routes he’s fine with in the meantime
    I personally don’t assume that...coaches screw up all the time, they aren’t perfect, they have favorites, etc etc

The sorry excuse for a game plan by our OC yesterday makes me question the decision even more

20. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Too bad there's no real journalists to even put this argument out to Saleh. Not in an aggressive way but merely state that it's well known the fans are perplexed and if he can elaborate on his thought process.

King Koopa likes this.