Mekhi Becton

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Early reports is a MCL sprain which would be a massive relief honestly.

2. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Terraca Glenn

Footballgod214 likes this.
  3. toddhershkowitz

toddhershkowitz Active Member

bullet dodged
    put the guy on the shelf
    this guy is pure boom or bust
    let's get 2-3 good years out of him because that's all we are going to get

4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

He needs playing time he missed most of the preseason. This OL is still a work in progress. He’ll be fine at G.

Becton is an enigma. I’m glad it seems he escaped a season ending injury today But his drop off in play is a little concerning. His situation is definitely one to keep an eye on going forward this season.

barfolomew and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'll grant that, but at least JD understands what the priorities are and the needs are. Our past GMs - up until Parcells were clueless. And the jury is still out on his overall body of work. I'm still a supporter, but I was hoping for better. Still there's a lot of new pieces and that always takes time to come together - or to figure out which pieces might not be good fits.

Keep in mind that Douglas was drafting for one type of scheme under Gase and now he has a whole new one - thank god! - so a pick like Becton might be an example of that where he might struggle under this new scheme.

barfolomew and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

I would very much so consider moving him long term to RG or even RT. Did we not look fine with Fant at LT believe it or not? And it’s not that Becton was bad at LT. He was getting a bit pushed around and looks out of shape. We know he’s a mauler in the run game so that’s why I think it. Maybe even RT next year if we go with Evan Neal. Really want to protect his health.

barfolomew likes this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Becton needs to go play for the Ravens or Steelers if the Jets are dead set on running this wide zone running game. He played it in college but he's not built for it in the NFL, injuries aside. He's perfect for what those franchises do.

Or they need to pivot quickly and run the ball behind the big boy when he returns and let him throw defensive ends to the ground. This scheme relies on leverage and beating players to a spot and carrying their momentum. He's built to step forward and punish, not run with defenders side to side.

Acad23, REVISion, Brook! and 2 others like this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

doesn’t matter what scheme when he’s fat and outta shape

barfolomew likes this.
  9. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Aside from anything else, the play he got hurt on would have hurt any lineman of any size. I won't really comment on any specific performance of any lineman until I watch the all-22 tape but I feel like some frustrations are running high and people are looking for something to blame.

The line was not great today, but I said this a week or so ago: The Offensive Line is young, without a ton of experience in general, and with very little experience together. Week 1 is full of over reactions around the league, and there is a good chance the Jets OL will even out.

Who remembers last year when the Jags won Week 1 vs the Colts? The Colts proceeded to the playoffs and almost beat the Bills in a playoff game. The Jaguars lost 15 straight.

How about the Texans today? Who thinks that's what their going to look like all season?

10. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Glad it's not super serious.

That being said, I'm starting to think the thing he needed to work on is his lack of effort. Cause there were some plays today where he stuck out for jogging instead of running and not making any effort to block anyone. Just didn't seem as bad because the rest of the line sucked first half.

barfolomew likes this.
  11. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Jet fans are wild, they hate their own more then other fans do. I’m sure if Becton was available other fans will appreciate him more then this fanbase does. Buddy went to the game and said a Jets fan said, “next man up, get his fat ass off the field”

lol it was all good just a year ago…we really can’t have nice things. And when we do, we bash and run them out of town. Godspeed Big Ticket

ColoradoContrails, NCJetsfan and cval like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

That's what happens with all the losing, bad draft picks, failed FAs, horrible hires at GM and HC over the last 50 years. We're fed up and it's driving us all crazy.

13. NCJetsfan

I agree that you're probably right. The OL has to work as a unit, and there were very few reps where the starting 5 were on the field practicing together and didn't play together at all in preseason games. It will get better as it did last year. It's just frustrating to see Zach taking a beating, see us lose to a team we could have beaten, and to see our OL (and thus our offense) continue to struggle since 2010.

14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

That's three injuries in just over one season. How can you say he isn't injury prone? If three injuries in one year doesn't qualify as injury prone then what does?

15. REVISion

He's big. He did poorly for his weight in the bench press during the combine. He's strong largely because he's big. I wouldn't call him strong for his size whatsoever.

He doesn't seem to play with the technique and leverage needed to be football strong. He's also slow. Being slow and not playing exceedingly strong is a big, big problem.

16. REVISion

It's hard to run when you're almost 400 pounds. He's too fucking fat, let's call it what it is. I think it's possibly fair to call him lazy with that in mind.

You're a professional football player in your 2nd season. Get in shape and stay in shape.

Greenday4537 likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Tall men usually don't do well on the bench press. It's harder the longer one's arms are.

I can't respond to the technique issues as I'm no OL guru, but Duke Manyweather, the respected OL coach raves about him, and surely, he is working with Becton on technique and leverage. Also, if what you say is true, how did Becton do as well as he did last season?

18. NCJetsfan

I don't think he had any injuries at Louisville. He only missed 2 games last season. If he were "injury prone," he'd have missed more than 2 games.

I admit that it's starting to look like he might be injury prone, and I'm starting to question him somewhat myself, but I think people are going too far. Last season NFL people were raving about him and his potential and how he was playing.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

Just because you and a couple of other posters say that he's too fat, doesn't meant that he is. IMO that remains to be seen.

20. REVISion

I put 0 weight in what Manyweather says. What kind of coach doesn't praise their own client? It would reflect poorly on Manyweather himself to not praise Becton. We saw this with Jordan Palmer jerking off Darnold every offseason despite it being obvious he wasn't improving.

Becton did decently last season, that's it. He wasn't a world beater. He arguably played at a level below what you expect from an LT taken 11th overall. Combine that with the injury concerns and he has disappointed relative to his draft position so far. And that's without even bringing up his social media and media faux pas.