Denzel Mims?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, Sep 12, 2021.

1. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

What is the deal with not playing him more?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

barfolomew likes this.
  2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I don't think the OC has much faith in Mims. He would have been perfect for the 2pt conversion. I guess its gonna be a bit of a learning curve for leFleur before Mims start being utilized correctly.

barfolomew and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a story about the coaching staff not being a fan? Don't like to speculate, but the way they were framing it, it appeared to be a work ethic issue.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Whatever it is it’s obvious he isn’t fitting in here. Cole and crowder back next week will probably send him to the inactive list

Cman68 likes this.
  5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Pretty sure the scheme used by LaFleur requires precise route running and Mims was raw in that area coming into the league. He did have a big play that set up the second TD.

barfolomew, themorey and Royal Tee like this.
  6. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

I was at the game don't recall seeing him out there

Footballgod214 likes this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He caught the long ball on the sidelines on the last drive the Jets had.

8. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

He was given an opportunity and made the most of it. That's exactly what you want from a player. Even with Cole and Crowder returning the CS would be foolish to not get him some more opportunities going forward.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

9. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Inexcusable for him not to be playing ahead of Berrios and Jeff Smith

What other team in the league has a promising 2nd year player that was drafted high and looked the part/ flashed in his rookie season just sent to the doghouse out of nowhere? We’re not good enough to let a talent / high pick just go to waste

The coaches need to figure out ways to use his strengths while he learns whatever the hell else Jeff Smith and Berrios do better than him in the meantime. Also the same coaches playing the corpse of Tevin Coleman over any other RB and George Fant over Moses so I guess it makes sense

Absolutely maddening

10. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Eventually we really need to start hitting on our picks. And this falls on JD.

Zuniga, Ashtyn Davis, Mims all appear to be useless. That just can’t happen at all if we want to build a good team. Otherwise, it’s plug and play some random player we sign there.

blackssmagic likes this.
  11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Mims has been consistently making plays when he Is In the game. Again, he doesn't look bad when I watch him play. I truly don't understand it.

12. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

They are making him earn it. There is no doubt he has been making plays when he's been in there, but for whatever reason they have felt he hasn't been 100% effort

Maybe because he was an auto starter as a rookie he assumed it was his job, maybe because he has relied on physical gifts too much, who knows exactly but it's clear they are sending a message to him. The jury isn't out on Mims yet. Gotta see how he responds mentally.

Losmeister and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

There must be something going on behind the scenes. Has to be, because when he was in he had impact.

REVISion likes this.
  14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Cue the excuse makers claiming he's still recovering from temporary weight loss due to food poisoning weeks ago.

I'm going to assume our coaches aren't complete morons and there's some valid reason Mims isn't playing much.

15. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

The OC must be stupid than. Seems like every time he gets an opportunity he makes plays.

16. King Koopa

Yeah well most fans are asking why and for good reason

High pick, makes plays, looks the part, flashed as a rookie, did well in preseason then gets the bench treatment in favor of scubs and plays 2 snaps, makes big play on one of them

Would love to know the reason, as would many other fans I’m sure

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Saleh said that he didn't necessarily feel more confident with having a veteran CB (or was it QB). Evidently, LaFleur doesn't share that confidence. I think that's why he went with Coleman over Johnson and Adams, and perhaps Berrios over Mims.

Starting Fant over Moses was surprising to me, but I have read that Moses struggled in TC and preseason, so perhaps that's why.

18. NCJetsfan

There could be a valid reason, but evidently it isn't his attitude or work ethic, because Saleh and LaFleur have been complimentary of him on those areas. It must be strictly the route running, or perhaps is still struggling to learn the offense.

19. King Koopa

I don’t accept the route running excuse if that’s what it is. Mims has certain talents and athletic abilities that can be taken advantage of in routes/plays he can excel in with a smart offensive coordinator.

If it’s struggling to learn the offense then I would somewhat get it, but I still would expect them to be able to use him a little more than they did today.

Pretty weird situation, I just wish one of the beat writers would figure it out

20. NCJetsfan

I agree and have said as much. With his size, speed, catch radius, and playmaking ability, there should be a way that they can use his talents. IMO unless something comes out that shows there is a legitimate reason, this is all on LaFleur.

King Koopa likes this.