Mekhi Becton

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Sep 10, 2021.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I was kind of surprised not to find this on the front page during a slow news day. Let's hope Saleh can puts the clamps on this one.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/s...confused-oc-mike-lafleur-comments/5755285001/

There is more to the article but that part is a little eye opening.

2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Going thru somethings is such a vague comment that could have been taken in anyway. But it’s clear that he did struggle and that they are asking him to pass protect in a much different way then he was coached up last season. Saleh mentioned this in his presser too about Mekhi, check that out for more clarification.

3. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Lets hope my mental image of an iceberg tearing through watertight compartments on the titanic just popped into my head for reasons other than Jets future fortunes.

abyzmul likes this.
  4. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Come time relationships matter, like contract negotiations... Unless they just constantly clash this will be forgotten about.

barfolomew likes this.
  5. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Yeah this strikes as similar in tone to when kobe told shaq to lose some fucking weight because he was making the lakers look bad. Not a big deal, move along.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

You never want to say something that pisses off a 6’8 370 lb man

Cman68 likes this.
  7. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Maybe Lafleur caught Becton stuffing twinkies in his mouth at 3am. An awkward eye contact exchange occurred and they never discussed it again

8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Young coach talking out of place, leave the talking to Saleh. I’m not going to make a mountain out of a mole hill, chalk it up to growing pains of a new and young coaching staff.

Hopefully a month later these guys have talked about the issue and moved on. It did happen on The 19th of August.

9. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Accountability Is important. It should motivate you, not make you butt hurt. I seen nothing wrong with ML's comments towards Mekhi. He was literally getting beat consistently by Carl Lawson. Around the time of this response he was also struggling In joint practices going against Preston Smith and Za'Darius Smith.

If he doesn't want honest assessments of this magnitude being made public by his OC, then, he needs to play better. Be consistent. Take accountability, change the narrative.

I seen no problem with It. It was refreshing as a fan to know that they do expect great from these guys and they wont settle for mediocre. They are preaching accountability with statements like this, that's a good thing.

10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

And just to further add, the young coach isn't talking out of place, he is the OC not some background scrub and has every right to criticise the OL or any element of the offence imo.

I was going to comment this morning but it way too early in the day to construct a sentence at 5am bad enough in the afternoon lol

IIMeanDeanII and Brook! like this.
  11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Probably nothing

until it’s something

12. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

I heard a national talking head a few weeks ago say that Becton came in overweight and out of shape, so maybe that? But I never put any stock into what the national guys have to say.

13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

LaFleur probably got his info on Becton from the Oline coach. Becton was probably surprised to even hear LaFleur talking about him.

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Beat reporter DJ Bien-Aime has refuted this claim. He came in in shape and at the number the team wanted.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

A zone blocking scheme requires anticipation, ability to make fast adjustments and quick feet.

It's very possible that Becton has had some issues making the transition to a scheme that does not require sheer physical presence as a defining characteristic. Becton's great strength is that he just overwhelms the guy he is assigned to block and shuts him down. However in the Jets new blocking scheme it will often not be clear who Becton is responsible for until the ball is snapped. He may just not be a great player in that scenario.

Hopefully he makes the adjustment and becomes as dominant in this scheme as he seemed to be in the last one.

Zone-blocking was created to take advantage of lighter blockers. Kirk Ferentz never got the "A" OL recruits. He needed to make do with the next cohort of prospects. Denver took the concept and refined it because they played at Mile High Stadium and needed to run a scheme that kept their OL on the field most of the time instead of gasping into O2 masks.

Becton is a big guy. We've seen all the hints from the Jets that he needs to drop weight. That's probably a requirement for being any good in the new blocking scheme.

I believe Louisville ran a modified zone-blocking scheme while Becton was there so it might be worthwhile to look at how Becton fit in that scheme.

#15 Br4d, Sep 11, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Everyone knows that Saleh is treating the players like men and holding them accountable. We all agree that is a good thing, I’m of the opinion that it does not need to be put out to the media.

Lafleur was a passing game coordinator for the past 3 years, I’m not going to act like he has been the mastermind of a top 5 offense for the past 5 years.

He better produce an elite offense if he is going to call players out to the media.

As fans we don’t like it when players start airing out their displeasure to the media. I expect the same from coaches, hold players accountable yes, just not in the media.

17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what "going through some stuff" referred to. But surely Becton realized he was giving up way to many pressures/sacks in practice, right? First it was Lawson. Then it was the Packers. The it was the Eagles, for the few plays he lasted before being knocked out. It was discussed heavily in our TC threads, and we kind of speculated his foot was still bothering him.

Becton' offseason struggles is one of many questions we will start getting answers to on Sunday.

18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

The same could be said for the 2nd year rookie, no?

He has had one good season, he isn't an all pro yet, Lawson made him look below average all camp, he needs to pull his finger out starting tomorrow, pretending you haven't a clue what the coach is saying doesn't wash, if you think Lafleur didn't have a word with him on the practice ground I'd be very surprised.

Dealing with some things is the kind of bland answer you tell the press when they ask you a question you don't want to answer.

ie Has Becton been fucked over all camp by Lawson?

He is dealing with a few things for sure.

It's a damned sight better than saying yes, he has been butt-fucked by Lawson and made to look very poor.

Players and their precious egos.

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Exactly! In addition Becton is still working with that famed OL Coach who works Becton really hard, and Becton pushes himself because he wants to be great. I could maybe see his being a little (a pound or two) overweight, but not out of shape.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree, Red. Becton was having to learn a totally new blocking scheme and some new techniques. It takes time to incorporate those new techniques. You forget the new technique on a rep, then the next rep you're focusing almost exclusively on technique, but are having to think too much and still get beat. When one is in the middle of changing a basic technique, of the way one plays, it puts him in "no man's land" for a while. He knows the old technique is wrong, but it's ingrained into muscle memory. He can't always duplicate the correct new technique, he has to think about it too much, which slows his reactions down. We've seen or experienced this ourselve a gazillion times. I don't know why it keeps coming up in this forum.

While the guys in the NFL are super athletic for the most part, making changes to basic fundamentals/techniques takes time until those changes are truly incorporated, one no longer has to think about them very much, and one's confidence in one's play with the new technique is rebuilt. Sometimes too, those new fundamentals/techniques may not work for that player for whatever reason. Maybe it's a mental thing, maybe he's not a scheme fit for that new technique. Some players can adapt and play equally well in different schemes, others cannot and they struggle.

I think it was wrong of LaFleur to point it out in the media that early in the process.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.