Bless Austin released

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Yankee6, Sep 1, 2021.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

I believe Revis made an All-Rookie team and then his 2nd season he looked really good and made a Pro Bowl due to us NYJ fans voting him in.

But in 2009 he was on a different level. He became legendary. Rex Ryan utilized him like Mangini never did.

Rex Ryan unleashed him like no NFL coach ever did for a CB. Rex left him one on one on an island with no safety help and would let Revis literally follow opposing #1 WRs all around the field. It was nuts.

#24 became legendary in 2009 and Mangini never used Revis like that during his first 2 season(s).

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  2. hermshadit

hermshadit Member

I’ll trust Saleh’s judgement when it comes to deciding which corners should be on the team.

nycarl and PJ4Ever like this.
  3. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

I don't recall problems with Revis year 1 either. It was clear we had something special pretty early. Actually, I thought similarly of Bless in 2019.

ouchy likes this.
  4. Matthew_McBride

Matthew_McBride Active Member

I can't help but feel that this either signifies that there are really great things in the near future (our young corners have somehow convinced the staff that they're legit) or just a really sobering situation where one of our top 2 corners was released.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  5. Matthew_McBride

Matthew_McBride Active Member

That's where I'm at too. You either trust management or you don't.

Losmeister likes this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

So the Jets hype machine turned Austin into more than he was by calling him a promising young CB before he'd really earned it.

Move two years down the road and he hasn't really advanced in any way on the initial hype.

If you think I'm exaggerating on this: Newyorkjets.com did 30+ shorts on Bless Austin between 2020 and the beginning of camp this year. They sold him every which way they could.

Now he's in his 3rd camp with the Jets and everybody expects him to be the guy the Jets have been calling a promising young CB since 2019. However the new coaching staff just sees another guy trying to get on the field and he's really no better than the guys around him.

So they cut him and we'll all shocked because the Jets overhyped him in the first place and never let up on that and there was nothing really there to begin with but another guy trying to play in the NFL.

7. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

We actually agree on something!!!!

8. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

So why was he the starting CB playing with the 1s most of camp? That’s what I don’t get.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  9. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

cos they werent above avg

10. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Maybe he was just barely better than the guy behind him? I'm not sure but that's my best guess. Maybe the coaches think Guidry or Echols is likely to surpass where Bless was at with some additional reps and time.

PJ4Ever and Sack exchange like this.
  11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that be "stinking for Stingley"?

KY Jets Fan and Lon Chaney like this.
  12. Ralebird

Anybody know if Austin is vaccinated?

Br4d likes this.
  13. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

Redwine…how bout we sign up Lightbeer? Or Hardcider??

BrowningNagle likes this.
  14. Ralebird

Because I never want to hear a song called Light, Light Beer" or especially "Hard, Hard Cider."

15. Falco21

So was Echols:

All Gas No Shake and Red Menace like this.
  16. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I think they were testing the waters…. They said in news conference that Bless was going to take lesser role and decided to cut him instead of keeping him in that capacity. I think he asked to be cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

egelband likes this.
  17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Dunn has the higher ceiling and played man and zone in college. He was much better in zone as his skill set is better suited for the zone scheme.

I get what Jets are doing, trying to catch lightning in a bottle with the CB position as they did with Bryce Hall.

Problem is Bryce was considered a top flight CB that got injured and that’s why he dropped in draft.

Austin and Echols are sixth round picks and Dunn is an udrafted FA. They will probably start Dunn and give him a chance to win the spot. Then next year draft a CB with one of their top picks.

egelband, FJF and Falco21 like this.
  18. Falco21

The part that confuses me about this whole thing is the uproar from some of the fan base about this cut.

People are acting like this guy was our savior and we just cut him. Bless had good potential but he sucked balls last year. He was picked on heavily as the #1 corner and it was horrible for us. A new coaching staff comes in with 4+ guys drafted in the defensive backfield and now there is uproar when he is cut?

It just goes to show you how far we still need to go as a team. JD is slowly starting to put the pieces in place, but when fans are upset about a guy like Bless Austin being cut, it is even more obvious how much attention that position still needs.

Trust the process and let things play out as they will. 2022 is going to be a draft filled with defensive picks

19. Falco21

I like both Dunn and Echols. I also like that they are putting more attention on those two guys as they seem to have a much higher ceiling than Bless.

Bless left a bad taste in my mouth last year. I agree it would have been nice to have him as a depth piece, but I for sure did not necessarily want him on the starting roster. I get the move, 100%

Red Menace likes this.
  20. twown

twown Well-Known Member

About every cut.

"Why did we cut X?! He looked awesome in six snaps vs. the Ottawa back-ups! We should have cut the guy with the lame haircut who had the holding penalty in the Senior Bowl four years ago!"

Falco21 likes this.