Bless Austin released

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Yankee6, Sep 1, 2021.

1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I always thought the name "Bless" was a good name but he got replaced by a guy named "Redwine" which is even better

egelband and cval like this.
  2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Pretty cool seeing Redwine on this team.

I watched him a lot during his time in Miami with the Hurricanes

3. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Raise your hand if you can envision Blessuan on the Pats as yet another Belichick/ Rutgers defensive back success story.

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

i believe there’s a kid off the Panthers that played well and was a 4th rounder.

also Hall was pretty good last year and I feel has the instincts to stand out despite not being a blazer.

these crop of corners do have the speed and whether it was due to injuries or inconsistencies, they dropped in the draft. The staff felt going with the 4 rookies as apart of the corner rotation is better then having Bless out there. And yes Bless was afforded the opportunity to run with the 1’s but late in camp, they started to rotate Echols, Carter in there as well. They really seem to like Echols so I’m expecting him to start as the other outside guy with Hall, and Guidry in the slot.

ColoradoContrails and K'OB like this.
  5. DefenseWinsChampionships

I dont even go by PFF grades I just go by the eye test and not only was our pass Defense the worst in all of Football but Bless was picked on more than any CB and Safety (combined).

The release of Bless just let's us know that Saleh wanted no part of him and our FO really likes the youth we've already got.

6. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Oh 100%. He was burned more times than a piece of toast

7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I can imagine him picking one or two up so they can tell him about our brand new playbook.

8. DefenseWinsChampionships

He was one of the worst starting CBs in all of Football last year (bottom 10) he stinks man and Robert Saleh wanted no part of him. Imo its really as simple as that.

Borat, REVISion and NYJFOREVER like this.
  9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Combine this with the fact that Bless thought he was some stud corner and I think we have most of the reason he was released. You can't play like shit and then act like you're the man. It's bad for the culture and for his prospects of improving significantly going forward. Makes more sense to go with a hungry younger guy who has a lot to prove.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

of course he was picked on more than anyone. He was the best guy we had, matching up with the opponent's best guy. That guy to be picked on the most will be Bryce Hall this year.

(unless there's a trade and someone good is brought in)

IDFjet likes this.
  11. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Bless Austin, the guy who got fried at the end of the half by Pitts terrible b/u QB when his only assignment was to keep him in front of him?

he also blew up hunter renfrow so that was fun. but yeah. no shock no dismay here.
    JAG at best.

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Listening to him talk the one time I heard him, he reminded me of Jamal Adams. I didn't like that from a guy who had some talent to back it up.

13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I don't know about this rookie CBs don't look good year 1 stuff. The good ones do. This preseason both Surtain and Horn looked like beasts. We'll see them both in the first 3 weeks.

14. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Maybe more than one early...

15. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

You literally play In a bubble for the most part In zone. So you just need to have good reactions and quickness within your zone. That's not speed as much as play recognition and quickness. Man requires more speed because you are not playing press every snap and you literally have to match the man you are trailing through their entire route. Man absolutely puts more emphasis on speed for that very reason. You have to mirror your man and they are using speed to technical route running to create separation. Speed, again, Is huge In that regard. You see straight line speed come into play with man as well because, again, they have to mirror their man. A lot of times they are on an Island as well. In zone, deep zones, you meet the receivers that get to the 3rd level, then you stay with them within your zone at that point. Big difference.

I do agree as well. There Is something going on there, I just don't think It was his play that was the issue. It's very confusing there. Maybe we will find out soon, probably not though.

Pags2112 and LAJet like this.
  16. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Then why did they take away from 1st team reps all off-season from those better options then? Why did Bless Austin make up the majority of those reps ALL off-season? All the way up till there Is only 1 1/2 weeks lift to go before Carolina happens?

It doesn't add up. If there were better options this whole time, they should've been getting those reps instead. Just doesn't make sense.

17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's pretty rare man CBs are placed on an island. they almost always have safety help or a pass rush ending the play quick. Jalen ramsey ran a 4.41 and he's the best CB in the NFL right now in man. Man is more about technique where zone is more mental and read and react. maybe bless wasn't getting the mental part down

18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

We'll see how they look when the games count. Revis had his share of struggles in year 1.
    I believe Hall can be a starter.

19. DefenseWinsChampionships

Exactly. Revis broke out year #2 with a Pro Bowl but didn't truly emerge into greatness as an All-Pro until year #3 of 2009 (once Rex unleashed and utilized him like no CB. Ever).

20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I remember Revis making an impact in year 1. In fact, his first season was better than his second, and he made the probowl his second season. It just took the league a while to notice him being buried in Jetville.