A TGG Good Sign?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bicketybam, Aug 23, 2021.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Those of us that like Fields have to problems evaluating/predicting. I recall Mahomes being dubbed a hard “eval” (air quotes) because of the air raid. Evaluate the talent not the system.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I agree. But weren't you basing you're questions of Wilson on things outside his talent, like the competition?

Regardless, can you provide a comparison between Zach and Justin on the main criteria you use? Maybe you did that before the draft, I don't remember. Here's mine:

1. Arm strength: Close, but because of Zach's quick release I give him an A, and Justin an A-.
    2. Accuracy: Also close, but Zach is more accurate in and out of the pocket, so I give Zach an A and Justin and A-.
    3. Mobility/Running: Also close, but clearly a strength of Justin, so I give Justin an A, and Zach an A-.
    4. Leadership: Both are strong leaders - tie, Zach: A; Justin: A.
    5. Intangibles - "sense of the game"; game preparation - This may be Zach's strongest trait and has made him look like he's already veteran to some degree, so this goes to Wilson: A+, Justin: B.

To come up with an average score I'll assign these point values to letters:
    A+ = 105
    A = 100
    A- = 95
    B+ = 90
    B = 85

So their "final grades" are:

Zach: 100+100+95+100+105 = 500/5 = 100 = A

Justin: 95+95+100+100+85 = 475/5 = 95 = A-

I'm sure your score will be different, and maybe you even use different criteria, but this is how I "evaluate the talent, not the system" FWIW.

IIMeanDeanII and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I don't think he was bad In college at going through progressions. I think he was the best at pre-recognition/pre-snap progressions out of all the QB's In the last draft. Which Is a valuable concept that a lot of the great QB's do well In the NFL, It allows you to diagnose a defense, cut a quarter/half of the field based on the defensive alignment called within the base formation of whatever defense Is being used. Fields did that on a regular basis. Fields, again, obviously had really good WR options and wasn't required to always go through 3-5 reads on every passing play because either he already diagnosed the defense and split the visual window pre-snap or his 1-2 read was open already. You take what the defense gives you.

I did see enough to think he has an extremely high football IQ, he was able to consistently show that he could and can go through his progressions when needed. I have seen It In preseason already as well.

He has other things that I'm concerned about. I don't like this pocket feel, sometimes he either doesn't feel It or trusts to much. He does need to get the ball out faster In the NFL. This can be fixed though obviously. I think he will.

That's absolutely my only concerns with Fields though.

EDIT: I don't want this to be a Fields Vs Wilson thing though. That Is not what my posts have been about at all. It's been towards posters that clearly just want to continue the Fields hate, troll, all while be uneducated on several aspects of It all. Wilson Is my QB. I want Wilson to be the absolute best In the league one day. Hands down. I'm still rooting for Fields though, I want him to succeed, and I'm tired of the obvious hate for the kid on these boards based around ignorance and misinformation.

That's all.

#163 IIMeanDeanII, Aug 30, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    legler82 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

I was ADAMANT against drafting Zach.

Our WR corps needed help and our OL needed help. We needed the premium draft picks to have an OL and WR that would give any QB a chance. Couple that with a real coach, then if Darnold still couldn't play well, then we'd have 2 #1s and 2 #2s in 2022 to fix QB.

Taking a QB at 2 made ZERO sense.

I still believe that taking a QB makes little sense.

However, after watching Zach in the preseason (specifically every offensive play on slow-mo), I'm of the belief that taking Zach Wilson makes a lot of sense. Dude looks different. Dude is just plain different. Observations:
    - His brain is super quick. His vision (and anticipation) on the field is off the charts.
    - His footwork is flawless (compared to Darnold, whose flaws were never fixed)
    - His accuracy is Pennington like.
    - His arm speed and strength is the opposite of post-injury Pennington. Frankly, he's Chad Pennington, but with arm speed and strength closer to Marino.
    - His leadership appears to be on point. It's early with limited data ... but there's also no red flags.
    - He studies. No previous Jet QB watched video on the sidelines. He does. Couple humility and love of the game with his IQ, and we have a monster.
    - And, the cherry on top is AVT, Elijah Moore, and Morgan Moses. I did not see 3 impact players coming in addition to the number 2 pick. Joe Douglas has a plan, is capable of executing a plan, and I'm more than happy to admit my post-draft hate and questioning of JD is just plain stupid.
    - oh ... and we have 2 #1s and 2 #2s in this years draft.

So .... yeah ... Zach Wilson dark-sider here. I'll be in Charlotte. When I see him play similar against regular season defense as he played against pre-season defenses, i WILL pop the champagne. Because Zach Wilson is the first QB since Pennington who's made me believe that we can win a Super Bowl with him. #2 is my first jersey since Pennington in 2004 (glad I passed on the Sanchez tatoo)

5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Obviously, we all know that Wilson can not be successful unless Fields fails and visa versa. You apparently missed that memo.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Kudos to you!!!

7. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

That was exactly my point. He rarely went through progressions at OSU and thats been the case with others. We've yet to see on of those QB come out and master that skill. Hes shown no change this summer. Up to now the answer is no and without that mindset/skillset you cant become a FQB. This isnt OSU beating on inferior lineups, its the NFL.
    This isnt a knock on his career but it is a knock. He was my second to Lawrence all along, I was in on Fields.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Apparently you're the only one who got it.

9. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

So is it still a good sign that after the week one loss we aren't seeing tons of posts about how we took the wrong guy? Are we cautiously optimistic about Zach Wilson or are we just waiting for the other shoe to drop? This isn't a troll post but an honest question.

#169 bicketybam, Sep 14, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  10. 50ShadesOfGreen

50ShadesOfGreen Well-Known Member

The oline being absolute trash and receivers dropping balls made us realize any QB behind that Oline would be screwed.

bicketybam likes this.