Carl Lawson Out For Season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Aug 19, 2021.

1. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

I'm not gonna lie. My first reaction to the news yesterday was "Here we go again. Same old Jets."

Now that I have had time to think about it, I really didn't think the team was going to the playoffs this year, anyway.

I really feel bad for Lawson, but he left a very positive message on Instagram, and I am pulling for him:

I hope he'll have a full recovery, and I hope some good will come out of this for the players who will play in his place.

2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

A flesh wound, why I am I thinking Monty Python.

3. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Haha! Good one!

[​IMG]

4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

You just do not know in the NFL if this team is going to the playoffs. All it takes is to win a couple of close games and you are right in the hunt, especially with the expanded format. Lawson could have been a game changer in a tight game with a big sack.

I always have faith in August the team can make a playoff run. The odds are stacked against us with rookie QB, Rookie coaches and a very young team but the playoff are not our of reach until you lose that game that eliminates you.

I am still hoping for a positive season as we watch the young guns grow and a big push next year.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

You cannot make this crap up.

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Hey, I completely disagree that you totally disagree with my disagreement regarding signing a vet! :D

I hope some of the young guys can step up at DE, just like other positions on the roster, I am just saying if none do it would be wise to sign a veteran. Otherwise the Jets are getting 0 pass rush and the young CB's are getting burned every play. It would not be good for Saleh's system.

Sack exchange and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

It was such a bizarre thing to say and it was so there.

RPOZ51 likes this.
  8. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

You nailed it. I wonder if Lawson could be a fan.

9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Lawson was gonna be fun to watch during this team's March to Respectability!

So for that it's disappointing.

Always nice to get a few punches in... even if you lose the fight... :cool:

10. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

Just saying: “Zuniga had zero pressures, zero run stops, and one missed tackle over 12 snaps in his preseason debut against the Giants. His overall Pro Football Focus grade of 29.6 was the worst on the Jets defense.” Doesn’t look promising on even making the cut!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Maybe we should pass on the next Florida pass rusher we see.

Jets79, Lon Chaney and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

The guy is made of glass, great talent but third major knee surgery.A swing and miss by JD Even if he comes back in 2022, the guy avgs 5 sacks per yr

13. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Yeah, JD swung and missed almost as bad as you swung and missed on his actual injury

14. GreenWhiteandGold

GreenWhiteandGold Well-Known Member

You posted the same dumb nonsense in the training camp thread yesterday and got corrected multiple times. Nobody can be that stupid, surely? So you have to be trolling and your not even doing it well

MoWilkBeast, NCJetsfan and abyzmul like this.
  15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

After previous injuries, he was able to give several good years before next one hit. So, I am still hopeful we will get 2 good years out of him once he recovers. With that said, we have to admit, the signing does not look great now, no matter how you slice it. Let's see what happens to the defense when the season starts, perhaps someone will step up and his loss will not be something that will break the entire defense.

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. I think it's silly to say that the signing doesn't look good now. It was a great signing and Lawson looked amazing. He will come back next year and be effective, if not amazing. The negativity and pessimism around here are sickening! There's no way JD could have known that Lawson would suffer another injury. He was in amazing shape.

This season is about Zach and developing young players, not the W-L record or having a dominant pass rush this season.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Joe Douglas' approach in free agency was to give second chances to a number of prospects who either had inconsistent starts or had injuries that made them less desirable to their original teams.

When he signed guys like Lawson and Corey Davis to big money contracts, they became high-risk high-reward players. When that strategy works, you get huge payoffs like we seem to be getting from #84 so far, but it was going insanely well for Lawson right up until he heard the Achilles pop and now the risk is manifesting itself. And now you get burned badly because you were depending on them either being healthy or performing consistently.

Early in a rebuild is when you do those deals to find those boom or bust players, because you can eat the losses when they don't work in the name of team development. I don't consider it a bad signing, it just didn't work out.

Thankfully Joe seems to be better at targeting the right players than the other bums we had at GM, but he's not infallible.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No human is infallible. We all make mistakes. If posters are expecting a perfect GM, they're going to have an awfully long wait and never be happy.

With regards to Lawson, it's waaaaaaaaaay too early to say that it didn't work out. Yeah, it didn't work out for THIS season, but he can be back next season and still play at a very high level. With his youth, work ethic and attitude (burning desire to be the best), he WILL be back. If I were a betting man, I'd bet on it.

ColoradoContrails and Borat like this.
  19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Not blaming JD at all, I think it was a great signing when it happened. It was just an unfortunate stroke of bad luck, and it is silly to argue it looks like a great signing now, in retrospect of the injury taking away 1/3 of the contract plus being 3d major injury. But ... it works both ways. Sometimes you sign a star for big money that gets injured or doesn't work out, and sometimes you sign a cheap scrub that greatly outperforms. Let's just see how it works out this year. I personally feel that while we will miss Carl, others will step up.

And I am still hopeful for next two good years for Lawson. It might still work out well, if he is fully back next year and can put together a beast injury free season when we are actually ready to compete for play-offs.

#99 Borat, Aug 22, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Lawson was a project going into the season at a position of need. The one issue was the contract. Several teams were interested in Lawson but none of them wanted to give an injury prone player 15 million a year, moreless guarantee 30 million of it. JD rolled the dice on Lawson and crapped out. I like the signing but was a little weary of the 15 million a year gamble, just like I was weary of not trading Mosley because he is going to cost us 18 million next year. Its a weird contradiction that JD would tie up so much money on risky players and short change our leaders at every turn.

Bellys Lies likes this.