Carl Lawson Out For Season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Aug 19, 2021.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Part of me is heart broken, believing that Carl was on his way to a pro bowl season, part of me feels grateful we have great depth on the DL to mitigate the blow. My prayers for a speedy recovery to player that truly worked his ass off to be the best.

#61 LAJet, Aug 19, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  2. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Curry was stil good last year and Huff has played well in camp - what makes you so sure he’s not good?

3. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

It really felt like he was the pass rusher we have been waiting for. Hopefully he comes back next year stronger than ever.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, but "if he's right" means nothing. Most of his career, he hasn't been "right." He was with 2 teams last season and did nothing.

Huff did NOT suck last year. In not many opportunities, he showed promise last year, especially for a UDFA. He's been very good in TC this year. He totally transformed his body, and Ulrich and Saleh have been speaking about him in glowing terms and saying that he could be earning himself a starting job. He had 2 sacks vs the Giants, and has had a 2-3 sacks vs the Packers this week in practice.

I am calm. I just don't like erroneous, ignorant comments about Jets players.

5. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree with your disagreement regarding signing a vet. Holding the team back from what? This is a rebuilding year. We were never going to the playoffs. This season is totally about giving young players the opportunity, developing them, and seeing who is a keeper (can help them going forward). Bringing in some older vet accomplishes nothing. It's putting lipstick on a pig. It just wastes cap space that could be used next year, takes snaps away from the youngsters, and likely won't result in a significantly better W-L record. The young kids aren't going to learn from some old stiff. It's much better to roll with the kids, try to develop them, and save the cap space. If they develop, then you've helped the team regardless of what the W-L record is. The W-L record is really pointless this year. The only thing that really matters is that the team gets better each week, is competitive, and the team finds out who can help them going forward. If the kids develop, but the team only wins 5-6 games, then the Jets are in better draft position to add more players in next year's draft. If the kids develop and they manage to win 7-8 games, then it will be a real accomplishment. If none of the youngsters develop at DE, then JD knows he needs to draft two DEs or draft one and sign one in FA in 2022.

6. NCJetsfan

Good post!

Noam and Footballgod214 like this.
  7. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Fire JD?

(this is real sad, feel for Lawson. Hope he makes a full recovery)

Noam and jackie1013 like this.
  8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I feel terrible for Lawson more than I do the Jets, he looked like he was going to have a great season.

This defense is not a blitz happy defense because of how conservative it is, we will see a bend but don’t break approach. Which means that JFM, Huff, Q are still going to get a chance to get some pressure on the QB.

Saleh did a great job with the Niners defense after all their injuries and I believe he will do same for Jets. Not going into SOJ mode yet.

9. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Jabari Zuniga has to get on the field for God’s sake.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Without being too cynical, Lawson's contract is essentially a black hole now. Tough to predict (although he did have a pretty lengthy injury in college), but as far as I understand it - rupturing the achilles is one of the worst injuries an athlete can sustain. It's not like a torn ACL where they're optimistically back on the field in 9 months.

Achilles have a longer recovery time and a very long recovery time as far as being back to normal. Feels like such a same ol' Jets moment unfortunately.

Jets79, RochesterJet and cval like this.
  11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Yeah, it is a longer recovery time than ACL, but he got injured before season started, so he should be ready for next training camp.

https://www.downtownrams.com/single...cam-akers-return-to-form-after-achilles-tear/

"One study in 2017 looked at Achille tears in the NFL between 2010 and 2015. The study found that:
    78 Achilles tendon ruptures were identified in professional football players during the 2010-2015 NFL seasons. 58% of these injuries occurred during the preseason. Of those that suffered an Achilles tendon rupture, 26% did not ever return to play in the NFL. Players who did return to play in the NFL took an average of 9 months to recover after the date of injury. Across all positions, there was a net decrease in power ratings by 22% and a net decrease in approximate value by 23% over 3 years following player return after Achilles tendon rupture. Across all positions, running backs saw the biggest decrease in production with a 78% decrease over 3 years post-injury in both power ratings and approximate value."

Basically he has 11 months until he needs to be back in training camp, and he should be back as he is still young. As far as the contract, no shit, it looks A LOT worse now than when we signed him. Still there is a decent chance we get 2 good years out of him.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Cam Wake should be a source of light here. He tore his Achilles at 33, came back and had 11 sacks when he was 34.

I’m trying…

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You forgot to bold a couple incredibly important parts of the article that I added for you. He was having a good camp, and had a lot of QB hits and what not, but he never closed sacks at a particularly high rate especially when you factor in all of the hits.

The point wasn't that the signing was bad, it was that for at minimum one year we have our highest paid player netting out to zero production. When he returns, it's anyone's guess as to if he will return to form - a form that didn't net high sack totals to begin with even if the pressure rates were positive.

It's not impossible, but it sure is saddening. Much would've preferred a blown out knee for obvious reasons.

14. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

You're late to the party brah

15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Aware. Just responding to a recent post.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Been thinking that it's a possibility that he was stressing his Achilles more than his ACLs on those bull rushes because of those past knee issues. Not that we'll ever get a real answer to that but seeing those ACL scars on the show kind of wakes you up to his injury history.

17. jackie1013

jackie1013 Member

I know injuries are part of the GAME but it didn’t happen during a game. Couldn’t we have had the chance to enjoy watching him in at least one freakin game? Praying this is the worst thing that happens to us this season. Let’s support the team we love and bring positive energy and vibes on opening day! All Gas, No Brake! Lets Go Jets!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

The Jets should be on the phone with Ezekiel Ansah and hopefully he's on a plane to NY as I type for a workout. He has system familiarity but has had a problem staying on the field the past 2-3 season and is coming off a torn biceps in October...

Another guy is Noah Spence who is also coming off an injury in May 2020 (ACL) and was recently cut by the Saints. The Bengals are working him out too...
    Bengals host Noah Spence for a workout (msn.com)

19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

so huff, zuniga, JFM, curry, rankins, Q, shepard, and foley. still doens't seem bad but I miss lawson already

NCJetsfan, Red Menace and Noam like this.
  20. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Didn't there used to a poster here called OutForTheSeason? Haha, I know I'm right about this.