Have optimism but also don't expect much in 2021

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, Jul 23, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Dude, believe what you want, but it was reported the other day that Zach had worked exclusively with Knapp during OTAs and minicamp. I didn't make it up. I believe it was on the Jets' website.

SOJAZ and Noam like this.
  2. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Your computer auto corrected “extensively” with “exclusively”.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

No it didn't. That's what the article said!

4. KingRoach

I’d love to read that article. As I’ve been unable to find it, could you provide a link?

PJ4Ever likes this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Where is Jordan Palmer? I thought he was supposed to be a QB whisperer. Give him a blank check, fly his ass to wherever Zach is staying and let him work some magic on the kid.

6. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

These are important questions and the answers will certainly lay out a clear picture at the end of the year.

BUT, every year, some team makes a big leap. and if it's a not the Jets, it doesn't matter what those answers will be. That's not going to go down easy.

The rationalization and understanding that is being exhibited here, at this time, will be a distant memory if we don't have a winning season. It's just the way New York is.

And if we lose a game with play-off implications late in the season, Saleh will be labeled as an idiot, at least by some. We've seen it before.

I'm sorry, but the Jets have to have at least a 9 win season. Can they? Don't know. But I don't see a lot of wiggle room.

7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree. There is no pressure on the HC or the FO to win. Both are very secure in their job. If there was a need to win now this team would be built very differently.

This team has not been built to win this year. It is a very young team that is designed to get young players reps and build a core foundation that will win years down the road.

If the FO felt the need to win now they would use a completely different team building strategy. They would sign more veterans, there would not be the emphasis on pushing cap dollars into future years and in hoarding future draft picks.

This is a FO and HC that are very secure and confident in their long term vision. They are understand that fans will be fans but they are committed to a long term vision not a short term quick fix. At this point they don't seem to care or be concerned what outsiders might say or think.

SOJAZ, FJF, PJ4Ever and 2 others like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

A big NO to Jordan Palmer. He didn't help Sam very much. Zach has been working with John Beck for several years, and he is the one who has really helped Zach, as well as a number of other QBs in the NFL.

#28 NCJetsfan, Jul 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    AJW and REVISion like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

I couldn't possibly disagree more with the absurd notion that the Jets have to win 9 games this season. The Johnsons have given no such mandate, and it's a good thing they didn't because it would have been certifiably insane to expect 9 wins this season. Some New Yorkers may expect 9 wins, but if so, then they should take up another sport, because they know nothing about football. To expect a team in a rebuilding year with a rookie HC, rookie OC, a rookie QB, tons of other rookies who will be playing so the the Jets can develop them and determine who can help them going forward, and who for all intents and purposes just lost its QB Coach, to win 9 games is certifiably insane imo.

They possibly can win that many, but would have to avoid any major injuries, Saleh would have to be practically mistake free in handling the team, Zach would have to play great right out of the gate with few missteps, and every rookie and FA make big contributions. I'm sorry, but that just isn't reasonable or rational to expect the team to win 9 games this season. Wins aren't the most important aspect this year. Developing all the young players, getting better each week, being competitive, and seeing who can help them going forward are the most important considerations this season.

I'm expecting that they will finish with somewhere between 5 and 8 wins.

AJW and Noam like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: I googled everything I could think of and can't find the article at present. Sorry, I've read so many articles recently and listened to so many podcasts that everything is running together. I assure you that I didn't make it up. I have no need to do that, and never have. The author of the article may have been mistaken, but I explicitly remember reading that because it surprised me. I didn't remember that Calabrese was so young and had such little experience, and didn't know that Knapp was spending that much time with Zach.

Although the following article and commentary by Kim Jones don't contain the quote I posted, they affirm that one of Knapp's prime responbilities was coaching and developing the young QBs. I also remember reading that Knapp was also here to help mentor and develop Calabrese, but couldn't find that either.

https://sports.yahoo.com/kim-jones-loss-greg-knapp-175705941.html

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/za...mp-step-slow-at-first-but-his-timing-s-better

#30 NCJetsfan, Jul 25, 2021
    PJ4Ever and Noam like this.
  11. PolygamyWinsChampionships

PolygamyWinsChampionships Well-Known Member

I just don’t see Zach Wilson losing 9 games in a season in this league. There are a TON of ordinary quarterbacks out there and some poorly stocked franchises.

this kid is a new breed developed over time to flourish in the new NFL. We see a kid coming out to great success every year now year 1. I think Zach and Fields are the cream of this crop and they’re going to make an impact day 1.

I am very optimistic for this franchise but realistically there are more complete rosters out there. I think we get in the discussion come December but this team isn’t meant to make noise this February.

next year? All bets off.

Brook!, Noam and The Dark Knight like this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

From what I recall, Knapper had settled in comfortably in the QB room with the task to coach up all three young QBs. His job was to share his vast experience with both top vet QBs and rookies, mostly providing a career of trial and error, what works and what doesn’t, and help the kids get all the ins and outs without overloading them, helping with more of a gradual learning. I think most came from his interviews which were incredibly insightful.

13. KingRoach

I completely appreciate Knapp was going to be an important part of the development of our young QB. I was simply stating we do in fact have a QB coach and while he is green (and white)Jets reference not a racial observation) based on the quality of the other members of the coaching staff I must assume he’s very capable.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Having potential and being capable are two entirely different things. You can see his lack of coaching experience, especially in the NFL here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Calabrese He has one year of experience as a QB Coach and that was at the high school level in 2013. He has exactly two years experience as an Offensive Quality Control Assistant with the Broncos in the NFL. Is that really the caliber of coach we want teaching our rookie QB? You may be content with that, but I am not, and I hope that the Jets aren't!!!!!!!!

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I have optimism too, but I do expect much! This team needs to compete week in and week out. Winning 7-10 games is completely reasonable. We can't expect the Jets to instantly compete for a Super Bowl, but they should be in every game, including when they play the Super Bowl Champion Buccaneers.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I would also like to think he has a lot of potential and talent, but clearly not many years of experience. I strongly suspect, knowing how thorough Saleh is, that Knapper was brought in not just to help grow and develop the young QBs but also the young QB coach. It will be interesting to see if Saleh brings in another grey beard to take his place.

Jets81, SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Expecting them to compete week in and week out is one thing. That IS totally reasonable. Expecting them to win 10 games is not reasonable imo. Everything would have to go perfectly, and how often does that happen, especially for the Jets? With Knapp here, it would have been more possible/plausible, but still highly unlikely. With him dead and gone, I think there's almost zero chance the Jets win 10 games this season.

#37 NCJetsfan, Jul 25, 2021
    SOJAZ and The Dark Knight like this.
  18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think putting the team's ceiling at (10-7) is completely fair. That is not even that great. They likely won't reach it, but it is definitely possible. Really depends on how fast Zach Wilson adapts to the league and is able to play well.

PJ4Ever and Noam like this.
  19. KingRoach

I wonder if BYU alum and Knapp student Steve Young would be willing to leave the booth and get back on the field.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

I wondered the same thing. Zach and he already have a relationship because he advised Zach and his family during the draft process.