Roster Moves

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, May 5, 2021.

1. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

Phillips is an interesting case who seems like a good option as a backup left end. (I'm still holding out hope that JFM wins the starting LE job; the guy just has good size and speed and NFL starter-caliber pass rush skills.) But I read somewhere that Phillips is still recovering from an injury that may lead him to be placed on injured reserve?

Also, it seems like Curry is a shoo-in for one backup DE slot, Blair is a Saleh favorite, and Huff and Zuniga are coming on a bit in Saleh's system?

In any case, it sounds more and more that we might actually have some dominant DL play this season, with good pass rushers and competent backups! Bring on @#% training camp!

Noam, Jets81 and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info on Phillips. I didn't realize that he was still recovering from the injury. IR might be great, because it would enable us to keep him and then if someone else got injured and he was healthy, he could replace the injured player. He's much better against the run than he is as a pass rusher, however.

Regarding, JFM, I think in OTAs he played mostly at the 3T position or DT since Q. Williams was out. I've seen Curry projected to start, but like you, I'd rather JFM win the starting job, and Curry be depth and a situational pass rusher to keep him healthy and fresh. I'll be interesting to see, what, if anything, Zuniga can do. I hope that Huff gets some playing time, because I think he has good potential. Blair could be starting opposing Lawson as well, not only because he is a Saleh favorite, but is very good vs the run. A couple of things are for certain: we should have much-improved play from the DE position, and overall our pass rush should be much better.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think there will be a good chance of Curry starting LDE at the beginning of the season and probably for most of it. He is the one I think will be the most productive while installing a new system. Players at other positions will be able to lean on him as well.

4. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

good point, byz.

5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

patleahy likes this.
  6. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I think this is more important with the death of Knapp. IMHO

Noam, ouchy, joelip and 1 other person like this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I wonder if Joe wants them to eat some salary.

ouchy, patleahy and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

Good thought. Could be. You're on a roll today.

patleahy likes this.
  9. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

Liked and quoted for Truth. Agreed, NC....Byz has been posting some quality content/takes of late. well-done, byz. ;)

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Poole to the Saints. Us not bringing him back will be the most baffling thing for me this offseason.

Jets79, barfolomew and ouchy like this.
  11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

6 reasons
    1. They really like Michael Carter II
    2. They really like Guidry.
    3. Poole will be 29 this year.
    4. Poole will take a roster spot from a young player they like.
    5. Why spend salary cap money when we can fill the roster with guys that stand a better chance of being part of the future.
    6. This year is all about getting young guys reps.
    Not to mention they also like Echols and Campbell.

I love Brian Poole. One of Macs better signings. But, there is a time to move on and give young guys reps. This is that time.

blackssmagic, K'OB, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Boy Saleh must be reeeeal confident in his abilities…..

barfolomew likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Excellent post! In addition, Poole has only started 17 games and appeared in 23 games over the last two seasons. Why pay big money to a player who can't stay healthy? As Noam said, they have Carter and Guidry whom they love, and they just added Echols and he has a lot of potential as well. Poole wasn't going to be on the team in another year or two, so imo the wisest thing to do was to move on now and find out if they can rely on Carter, Guidry and/or Echols.

barfolomew and Noam like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Some bad news regarding injuries/roster moves and training camp.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/jets-place-four-players-on-active-pup-three-go-to-active-nfi

Jets Place Four Players on Active/PUP; Three Go to Active/NFI
    Quinnen Williams, Marcus Maye Sidelined to Start Training Camp
    Jul 23, 2021 at 06:22 PM
    Eric Allen
    Senior Reporter

With the Jets scheduled to report for training camp on Tuesday, July 27th, the club placed four players on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list and three players on the Active/Non-Football Injury (NFI) list.

Defensive linemen Quinnen Williams, Kyle Phillips and Jonathan Marshall along with S Ashtyn Davis were all given Active/PUP designations. The four players can be activated at any time during training camp. If they remain on the list at roster cutdown to 53, they will have to be activated or moved to the Reserve/PUP list.

Two veteran defensive linemen, Vinny Curry and Folorunso Fatukasi, and S Marcus Maye were added to the Active/Non-Football Injury list. The NFI designation means the players sustained injuries away from the team and the three can practice when medically cleared.

Williams, who had offseason surgery on his foot after racking up 7 sacks in his second professional campaign, declared this spring that he'll be "ready to roll" once the season commences. Davis, the second-year safety, is also working his way back following foot surgery. Marshall, an athletic defensive tackle from Arkansas who was the club's third and final sixth-round pick, worked off to the side during most of the team's OTA and minicamp workouts. Phillips landed on injured reserve last November after sustaining a season-ending ankle injury vs. the Bills in Week 7.

Curry, who signed with the Jets March 24, is entering his 10th NFL season after spending eight of his first nine years with Philadelphia and one season with Tampa Bay in 2018. Fatukasi, a sixth-round pick in 2018, started 8 games in the 2020 season for the Jets and had a career-high 42 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 pass defenses and 1 forced fumble. He's emerged as one of the NFL's top run defenders and ranked No. 4 in the NFL in run-stop-win rate among defensive tackles last season, according to ESPN. Maye, the 2020 Curtis Martin Team MVP, is coming off his best statistical season and will play on his one-year tender he signed in March.

15. NCJetsfan

What is so surprising about this? I'm not picking on you, because I've seen several other comments in other threads about winning games this season and not signing other players.

Saleh was clear early that he didn't anticipate signing a vet CB. There is no pressure to win a lot of games this season. It's a rebuilding year. It's about developing young players and determining who are keepers and can help them going forward. Bringing in Nelson wouldn't have helped that, and he would have just taken snaps that the youngsters needed to speed their development. Neither Nelson, nor Poole, nor Richard Sherman were going to be on the roster in a year or two when the team is ready to compete. What would have been the point of using cap space to sign one of them and take snaps away from the young players?

Lon Chaney, Noam and K'OB like this.
  16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

You keep mentioning taking snaps away from younger players, like they should be the entitled starters. How about the rooks earn their spot and win a positional competition against vets to prove they are ready to start. Its getting silly reading that we have to stay clear of vets so 5th and 6th round picks can automatically start.

blackssmagic and Ralebird like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

What don't you understand about a rebuilding year? It's not about how many games the team wins this year, but rather developing their players and seeing who can help them going forward. Saleh obviously believes in the young players that JD has added, and he believes in his and his CS's ability to teach and develop them. THAT is how teams should be built, NOT by bringing in a bunch of older veterans. You really need to learn more about the game, how the good teams do things in the NFL, and what the Saleh's and JD's philosophy is! They know what they're doing. You don't.

And those young players will be competing for starting jobs.

Leicester Jet, Noam and K'OB like this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

You post is simply an excuse. Like, if Poole was still here we couldn't develop rookies, or determine if they were good in TC. Really, it means we cant determine if they were better than Poole in TC. It has nothing to do with rebuilding.

19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Not a thing he posted said a word about winning games; he talked about people competing for jobs; whoever is better gets the position. Do you really have a problem with that? Stop with the BS of telling people they need to "learn more about the game" as if you're the arbiter of such things and they were born yesterday. I'll take the guy who can perform any day of the week.

blackssmagic and ouchy like this.
  20. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Well it’s an interesting discussion….

we are definitely in tear down and now start to rebuild mode…that’s not to say that wins don’t matter at all…I think wins do matter, especially when trying to change a culture of losing that has been here for too long now

that being said, I don’t think wins are THE most important thing THIS year either…like they weren’t last year. I do think the GM and coaching staff are evaluating talent and need to see who will be good for the long term.

But I don’t think that means “don’t sign any vets” either…but I do think it means don’t sign any older guys on the downside…I think it means a younger vet with upside would be fine….5th round and later picks don’t often develop into great starters…sometimes they do, but more often they may become ok spot starters, or ST players, etc. so I don’t think you necessarily have to avoid younger vets for those types of guys, but we are not i. The business of signing older guys …

SOJAZ, Leicester Jet, abyzmul and 2 others like this.