Greg Knapp Lost His Life ( RIP)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Jul 20, 2021.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Californians are conditioned to drive too close to each other because the traffic is so dense on the freeways and in the various cities.

My sister dated a guy from California in her early 20's. Spent a year with him out there.

When she got back it took one trip with her in the car to realize something was wrong. She was tailgating like a maniac. She'd drive right up onto the bumper of the car in front and stay there at high speed. I had to point out to her that being 15-20 feet behind another vehicle at 65-75 mph was insane. That's how she'd been driving for a year though. Took awhile for her to break the habit.

When you hear about a 10 car pileup in Texas it's all about the weather. The same accident in California is about somebody sneezed at the wrong time.

3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Very sad. RIP.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Sadly it appears that the teenage driver that killed Coach Knapp was allegedly texting when he struck the Coach. I hope that they throw the book at this person, if this turns out to be true.

Damn this sucks.

5. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

I have not read that anywhere. As you say, if true, it makes his loss all the more tragic.

I have never been so affected by the passing of a person I didn't even know.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm sorry that happened to your friend and that you had to go through that!

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

I agree. If nothing else, they need to make an example out of that kid to hopefully convince other people not to text and drive. I wish they'd make it illegal to talk on the phone, use the phone (except for GPS), or text and drive, and even when using the GPS, the phone has to be in a bracket and not the driver's hand. The penalties should be steep like permanently losing drivers' license, huge fines, and imprisonment if anyone is hurt or killed.

9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

This is an absolutely massive problem in today's society. When you start to pay attention to how many drivers are looking down at their phones while driving it's mind blowing how many people are doing it. It honestly should be treated like a DUI, it's just as distracting as being drunk.

It really upsets me to no end. Like, you're so addicted to your phone that you can't put it down for 20 minutes while operating a 3,000 lb box of metal that moves at high speeds? It's insane to me.

stinkyB, RPOZ51, JetsNation06 and 3 others like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

This surely will have a deep impact on the players. Hopefully they can channel their grief and respect for Coach Knapp into elevating their commitment for being the best they can be. That would be a fitting tribute to him.

11. NCJetsfan

Spot on! I couldn't agree more!

REVISion likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

Saleh had said he wanted to see how the team reacted to adversity. Well, things can't get much more adverse than this! I'm sure this is not what he intended, but I hope you're right Colorado, and the players will dig deep, and dedicate the season to Coach Knapp. It's tragic, but this could be the event that brings things together. I hate that it happened, but hopefully, his death won't be for nothing. Hopefully, it will result in the change in laws nationally about the use of phones when driving, and will help to unify and focus the Jets team and set them up for success.

ColoradoContrails, RPOZ51 and cval like this.
  13. Br4d

The number of texting while driving accidents is higher than we realize and it's overwhelmingly teenagers doing it.

There's a pretty good argument in most parts of the country for raising the driving age to 18.

14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

To be honest, it's probably worse (blackout, fall-down drunk not with standing)

either way this is a terrible event..... May the man RIP, and may his family eventually find their own peace .....

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

For many years, my Harley was my primary vehicle. About 8 years ago, I sold it because so many people text while driving, and it was inevitable that one of them would hit me if I kept riding.

They need to aggressively ticket everyone who texts while driving. It does no good to let 99.99% of the offenders get away with it and then throw the book at the .01% who are unlucky enough to have their stupidity kill someone.

16. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Such terrible news. I've never met the man, but I've found this nonsensical death coming to the forefront of my mind every so often over the past day now. Thoughts and prayers go out to his wife and family, as well as to all of those at the Jets who knew and loved him, as well as all of those around the league as well. RIP Coach.

LogeSection2RowJ, NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah that's the main reason I haven't gotten a motorcycle despite wanting one - you can do everything right and it just takes one idiot not paying attention to wipe you out.

Regarding texting - we may have to do something at the phone level for it to really work. I've gotta think it's possible to design phones so they automatically become unusable while driving.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. Br4d

Motorcycles kill you more reliably than smoking and at much lower ages.

I got lucky and drove by a really bad motorcycle accident on the FDR when I was 30. That quick look at bloody mayhem did two things for me: it quashed any desire I had to get a motorcycle and it taught me never to look at an accident as I passed. I still have the occasional dream about that one and I have never wanted to add more to the filmography of young, beautiful and roadrash dead.

REVISion, MoWilkBeast and Brook! like this.
  19. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Sucks for everyone involved, RIP

MoWilkBeast and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

As my biker friend told me a few years ago, there's only 2 types of bikers: those who have hit the tarmac and those who haven't... yet. It's just a case of how serious it is when it happens. In his case, very as he spent months in hospital and still hasn't recovered a full range of movement. He got lucky. The same can't be said for the 22 year old I worked with.