Jets rookies report to camp

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

And so it begins!

Probably the most important rookie class in ages

2. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

can't wait for the season to begin!

3. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

And so it starts, haven’t been this excited since Testeverde was here

barfolomew, PJ4Ever, Noam and 3 others like this.
  4. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

geez that was a while ago.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

There's no "probably" about it. It is definitely the most important rookie class for the Jets in the last 25-30 years or longer.

6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

All rookie classes are important. The 2000 draft class had more on the line then this one.

7. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Tomorrow is now. Jets dynasty starts today. Cherish it, embrace it. Future belongs to Jets. We will win Superbowl in the next 5 years and I will die a happy man!

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS

amuck57, barfolomew, papapump and 6 others like this.
  8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

When you talk about foundational draft classes 1977 is the benchmark. With Marvin Powell, Wesley Walker, Joe Klecko, Dan Alexander, Kevin Long, Bobby Jackson, Matt Robinson, and Scott Dierking followed up in 1978 with Chris Ward, Mickey Shuler, johnny Lynn, Gaffney and 1979 with Lyons, Gastineau and Blinka. That is a lot of talent infused into a talentless team over 3 years.

In no way do I expect this class to match those but these are foundational draft classes which are building a team from nothing and 1977 is the best reference given where we were before JDs 1st draft in 2020.

barfolomew, K'OB, James Hasty and 8 others like this.
  9. patleahy

those were 3 phenomenal draft classes back to back to back, @Noam. wow....who was the Jets GM back then???

barfolomew likes this.
  10. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Good question and I don't really know much about the FO of the team back then. Doing a quick google search it said Al Ward resigned as GM on 12/30/77 and the Jets did not hire a new GM until Steinberg in 1990. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me could fill in how the Jets scouted, made personal decisions and negotiated contracts during those years? Did it run through the HC, personal, a VP or some other way? But yes you are right those were amazing drafts that built a foundation which carried the team for almost a decade especially the 1977 draft.

11. NCJetsfan

and

According to this site:
    https://forums.jetnation.com/topic/130616-ny-jets-executives-gms-since-1960/

Jim Kensil was the President/General Manager.

Noam likes this.
  12. patleahy

^^^^^ paging @mrjet80 and/or @matt robinson 17 ....can you guys help us out here??? lol

13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

14. patleahy

thanks for that info @NCJetsfan here is some more info on Kensil, per Wiki. Interesting that he actually moved over from the working for Rozelle in the league office to work for the Jets. Also interesting that he started his career as a sportswriter for the AP. Maybe one day Cimini will work his way up from beat reporter to GM/President of the Jets. @Noam

Jim Kensil (August 19, 1930 – January 16, 1997) was an American football executive who served as the president and general manager of the New York Jets from 1977 to 1988 and as the executive director of the National Football League from 1968 to 1977, where he worked directly under NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle.

Kensil was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and attended the University of Pennsylvania. After a short stint as a sportswriter for the Associated Press, he joined the NFL as a public relations director, and spent the rest of his career as an executive in professional football.

He died of heart failure on January 16, 1997, in Massapequa, New York at age 66.

and an old UPI article covering his sudden retirement from the Jets in 1988....full article linked below, with a few tid-bits highlighted....looks like Hess basically let Kensil run the organization, but once he retired, Hess decided to become a more "hands-on" owner.

Jim Kensil retired as president of the New York Jets Tuesday (6/14/88) because of a heart condition, prompting owner Leon Hess to say he will take a more active role in running the club.

Steve Gutman, the corporate treasurer-secretary and administrative manager, was named Kensil's successor. Hess said he will search for a general manager but is in no hurry to fill the position. Hess, the Jets' sole owner, said football decisions will be made by a committee consisting of Hess, Gutman, Coach Joe Walton, director of player personnel Mike Hickey and pro personnel director Jim Royer.

'I can't tell you whether it's going to be in a year or three years, but we will have a professional football coordinator,' Hess said.

The Jets have had no general manage for the better part of the past decade, but Kensil handled most duties a general manager would perform.

Hess, an oil-company owner, has been the Jets' board chairman since 1977 but has hardly involved himself in the football operation.

'With Jim retiring I will take a more active part,' said Hess, attending his first news conference in connection with the Jets. 'I will attend some of the meetings and try to be a worthy chairman. I would love to be an active member of the (football) committee.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1988/0...d-as-president-of-the-New-York/4771582264000/

15. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Gutman was a paper pusher and a Hess yes man. Royer stayed out of the limelight and Mike Hickey basically ran the drafts from 1977-1989. He hit on some early picks with his first draft being his best. Marvin Powell with his top pick, Wesley Walker in the second round. Joe Klecko was a gem in the sixth round I believe. Scott Dierking, Dan Alexander a longtime solid guard.....however Hickey's problems started when he traded two first round picks in 1980 to trade up for WR Johnny Lam Jones. I can understand the thought process there - let's pair him with Wesley Walker for the fastest starting tandem in the NFL - but while Lam Jones was an Olympic track star his hands were inconsistent and by 1985 he was out of the league. The Jets finished 1980 at 4-12 but the week 16 win in Miami "no announcers game" cost them a chance at Lawrence Taylor. Imagine THAT defense?? LT behind the sack exchange.....Freeman McNeil was a great consolation prize however...Hickey may always be remembered for picking Ken O'Brien over Marino in 1983. He blew the 1984 draft by only hitting on one of four picks in the top 50 ( OL/C Jim Sweeney). By 1986 the Jets drafts were completely coming up empty other then Hasty/McMillan in the 1988 draft.

After Hess hired Dick Steinberg as a true GM following the end of the 1989 season, Hickey and Walton were both let go.....

16. patleahy

interesting and informative as always, @mrjet80 thanks for the info. :);)

Noam and mrjet80 like this.
  17. mrjet80

There was no actual GM by job title. Mike Hickey the personnel director ran those drafts....

EDIT: I didn't realize that was you Pat....lol thought I was answering somebody else.

patleahy and Noam like this.
  18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

THIS!!!! in a nutshell.

it was a bit a of a collective effort from the mid 70's to late 80's, with hickey being the go to guy for the most part.

LT - its on record somewhere from kensil and/or hickey that they would have picked taylor if they finished ahead of the giants.

there were a few studs the jets missed out on, for a variety of reasons. LT, munoz, marino......

mrjet80 and Noam like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

How typical of the Jets to win a meaningless game in a lost season and cost them Taylor. Can you imagine Taylor behind Klecko, Gastineau, Lyons and Salaam? Opposing QBs wouldn't have stood a chance. Hopefully, those days are in the past. If the last two drafts are any indication, with JD as our GM, I don't think we'll need to lose a game or two at the end of a season to get a player who would turn things around for us. I think he will do so well in the draft and FA that our team will have plenty of talent. It will be the CS that makes or breaks us.

20. mrjet80

As much as I loved Freeman McNeil as a kid I have to say had the Jets been able to take LT instead they would have won a SB at some point. LT singlehandedly won games.

nycarl, NCJetsfan, Noam and 1 other person like this.