More Skepticism about Clark Making an Impact

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by joelip, Jul 13, 2021.

1. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

barfolomew likes this.
  2. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing the article- Sounds like Cam is going to have to make the roster as a backup/swing Tackle. I hope he can show enough to stick this year because we will likely move on from Fant next year.
    He may be one of those guys who develops late, at least that's my hope- I think we know who Edoge and McDermott are and while their floor is higher, neither seem to have a ceiling as high as Cam Clark.

HUGE camp for Cam

blackssmagic, FJF and joelip like this.
  3. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

You make excellent points, including that Clark's best role in our scheme might be as a backup/swing tackle. This wouldn't be bad for a low 4th round draft choice. (I can't deal with our many high draft choices that have turned out to be completely worthless!)

barfolomew and RochesterJet like this.
  4. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

When we look at the offensive line there are 7 likely locks for roster spots. Becton, AVT, McGovern, Moses, Fant, Feeney and whoever the RG is. Fant and to a lesser extent Feeney have roster spots locked up because of guaranteed money on their contract.
    The Jets are likely to only carry 9 or 10 OL. presuming that GVR wins the RG spot that leaves McDermott, Edoga, Lewis, Hoge and Clarke fighting for 2 spots maybe 3.

While not a guarantee McDermott or Edoga likely will get one spot leaving Clarke and Lewis to fight it out for the last spot. Clarke makes less, might have more flexibility but did not have a camp last year, does not seem to have the lateral quickness to fit the scheme and spent most of the year injured. Essentially he is a rookie. Unless they want to save cash by cutting Lewis or use an extra roster spot to keep Clarke around his odds do not look too good. Absent an injury Clarke is really going to have to show something in camp to earn a roster spot.

joelip likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good article. Thanks for posting.

The one thing I disagree with the author on is his conclusion. It's like he added 2 + 2 and got 3. Based on what the author and our OL Coach said, if correct, then Clark certainly doesn't have a future at OT on the Jets. He isn't nimble enough to keep up with speedy edge rushers. The only hope for him is inside. He can learn to play with a lower stance in pass protection. The question is he willing to work that hard or able to make the change. I think some players do try to make the necessary adjustments/changes when they get to the NFL but are just unable to mentally or phsically (or both).

I read an article a month or so ago that talked about the Niners' OL. If memory serves me correctly, their OGs aren't prototypical for a wide zone, either, but they make it work. Laken Tomlinson is not that agile/mobile or quick. He is more like Clark, a power, straight ahead blocker. So it would seem that Clark has a chance, if nothing else to back up AVT, but could eventually start at RG and the Jets just sort of reverse how their OL works from how SF's works. The kid has potential and I like him. I really hope he works out, not only for the Jets' sake, but for his as well.

6. NCJetsfan

I agree with your other comments, but disagree regarding Clark making the roster as a swing OT. If he has slow feet, he would never work as an OT in our wide zone scheme. Speed rushers would beat him frequently in pass protection. He can work at OG. Laken Tomlinson's (LG of the Niners) skill set and attributes are very similar to Clark's, and the Niners make it work. Clark just needs to work at getting lower in his stance in pass protection and not playing so tall.

EDIT: Upon further reflection, Moses isn't the most agile/mobile RT, so it's possible that Clark could be able to handle backing up Moses at RT. I can't see him playing LT, however. I still think that RG might be his best shot if the Jets are willing to have one RG that isn't that mobile but who is solid in pass protection and can open holes for RBs.

#6 NCJetsfan, Jul 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
  7. NCJetsfan

I disagree that McDermott or Edoga will likely get a spot. They certainly could because of experience, but I think the Jets will go with Fant as their lone backup/swing OT. AVT can play LT. Clark possibly could play RT in a pinch, but both Becton and Fant or Becton and Moses would have to go down to force AVT, Clark, or another player to play at OT.

Things could change following TC, but like you, I expect the Jets to only carry 9-10 OL. I agree with your 7. I'd love to see both Clark and Hoge make the team, but will be surprised if they do. I think Lewis probably makes the team. That makes 8. If they keep 10, then both Clark and Hoge could make it. If only 9, then one has to go to the PS.

It's possible that another scenario or two could happen as well. We won't talk about injuries. Hopefully, none of those will happen. One scenario is what if Murray or Levin clearly outplay Feeney as the backup C? I know that Feeney is probably a lock due to the guaranteed money, and he's popular with his new teammates, but would they keep another OG over a better backup C? I certainly hope not.

The other scenario I was thinking about is that another team loses a starting OT in TC for the season. They could conceivably make Douglas an offer for Clark that he couldn't refuse, especially if Clark is struggling with the transition to OG. I hope this scenario doesn't play out. IMO it will be best if Clark can smoothly make the transition to OG and be our starting OG for the next 10 years. The second best thing might be trading him to a needy team and getting another mid-round pick (4th or maybe a third if the other team is desperate enough).

8. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

I hope you're right that Clark might be able to work in a wide zone. If he's not a fit at either wide zone guard or tackle, he'll certainly be gone at some point. If he is a fit, he stays because he'll be a cheap developmental player that will accept being a 4th string guard.

Lewis would be neither cheap nor easily accepting of losing his starting job. Lewis might beat out Van Roten for the starting right guard spot, but he's probably gone if he loses. We should note that GVR consistently got better PFF pass protection grades than Lewis, and protecting our young franchise QB will be the priority.

I do believe that McDermott's guard/tackle versatility will be valued. And, who knows, maybe Edoga will finally begin to live up to some of his potential, which might make him the heir apparent to Fant as backup swing tackle. My guess is that at least one of the two is on the roster.

Feeney is the wild card. He made a name for himself at Indiana playing RG in a zone scheme, then was put at LG and C by the Chargers. He was so-so but a consistent 16-game starter at both positions. Maybe he's more comfortable at RG? If he doesn't win the starting RG spot, he'll be excellent depth at all three interior positions.

So my guess is: Becton/AVT/McGovern/GVR/Moses starters; Fant, Feeney, Lewis, McDermott reserves (with the distinct possibility that they cut Lewis for cap space and/or add Edoga if he turns it around). Based on reports so far, it doesn't sound like Clark is a good bet to make our deep OL unless there is an injury. But if Clark proves that he fits, he easily beats out McDermott and Edoga and/or replaces Lewis.

When's the last time we were worried that the Jets might have too much OL depth?

#8 joelip, Jul 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  9. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I gotta believe that Clarke makes the roster before Edoga--Neither appears to be that great, and Clark is in just his second year, and was a Douglas draftee, not Edoga.

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I do believe we will err on the side of caution with the OL, go into the season with ten deep on the active squad plus a couple of promising players on the practice squad. This leadership has way too much invested with Zack and making the rookie as safe as possible on his first year is #1 priority. Versatility to be able to play more than one OL position will be the prevailing discriminator for the last couple of spots. Probably one of the more interesting competitions depth wise since I can’t remember when. At the end of the day, if there is a tie amongst the last couple of spots, the rookie will prevail over a vet. My guess Edoga, Lewis, Clark and MacDermott will be in the mix for the last two.

NCJetsfan, joelip and Noam like this.
  11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Well said. I agree it is certainly possible that neither McDermott or Edoga make the roster. Like joelip said I think McDermott is the likely winner because of versatility.

This is at least the 3rd negative Clarke article we have seen. Usually when there is smoke there is a fire. If Clarke is cut there is a good chance he gets past waivers to the PS. 4th rounders are 4th rounders for a reason and it is not a surprise if he does not work out. Athough, he might be best going to a team that does not use a zone blocking scheme.

No matter how much we look at it I am sure there will be roster surprises we never considered. Regardless I am excited for camp. Only 2 weeks from today!!!

NCJetsfan and joelip like this.
  12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Scheme? This is all about protecting our vunderkid Wilson too

The first OL thats getting beat and our QB is on his back will get benched

13. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

if he can function as an AVG G when he plays... i think thats enough.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

Joe, I don't know if you heard, but Lewis accepted a pay cut to $3 million for this season. That's pretty cheap. As far as accepting losing his starting job, I think he would. He only started one year with the Ravens, I believe, and then was a backup for a year or two. If he were to be cut, he might not get $3 million on the market. It's not like he had a great season in 2020.

I hope that Clark will work out, too! The Jets may not be willing to go the same route as SF, however. They might want both of their OGs to have the ability to pull. It will be interesting to see. If they aren't willing to go the same route as SF, I hope that he's so good that he forces them to change their minds, and keep him as the starter. I like OL with a mean streak. That would at least 3, maybe 4 out of our 5 starting OL who have mean streaks and play to the whistle. I know that Becton and AVT do, and I think Moses does as well. Having Clark start and have a mean streak too would go a long way to keeping Zach upright and healthy, and making our offense dominant.

We've all said it will be interesting in TC, and it will be, but I'm especially interested to see what they do with OG. Lewis has just played LG, I believe. Feeney was better at RG than LG. They may have Lewis penciled in as AVT's backup and Feeney and GVR battling it out for which one starts. I don't hold out much hope for Hoge even winning a backup spot this year, much less the starting RG job, but I hope that Clark will be given a long look. I actually just had another thought on Clark. Moses isn't the most agile/mobile RT, either, so I may have been mistaken earlier, and it could be possible for Clark to backup Moses, and Fant to be the LT backup. If so, that would leave Edoga and McDermott out in the cold.

#14 NCJetsfan, Jul 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    joelip and Noam like this.
  15. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

You're right that the great toughness and decent athleticism Clark showed in his college tape inspires hope that he might be a contributor either at guard or tackle. I agree it would be ideal if he shows enough to make the team. I like him more than Edoga or McDermott, a0lthough that is just based on his college tape with a different OL scheme. Also, Edoga's feet/athleticism seem a more natural fit for the wide zone, and he has played decently at times, though rarely!)

Jets OT Chuma Edoga v Dallas Cowboys - YouTube

You're also right that Lewis' salary is reasonable for a vet and that he's unlikely to get the same money somewhere else. And I do believe that he would make an excellent insurance policy for both our guards in case of injury, if he doesn't win the RG spot outright. Will he have a good attitude as a backup? Probably, as he comes across as a team player who hates to lose. He has always started, though. (He started 8 of the first 9 games he played before getting injured as a rookie in 2016. He was out injured in 2017 and then started all 10 games he played before again getting injured in 2018 and signing with the Jets in 2019.)

Noam and NCJetsfan like this.
  16. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

My reply will be short and sweet. Edoga sucks ass, he has legs built like a tooth pick, and he constantly gets beat like a drum

tomdeb and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Thanks for the correction, but I swear I remember reading that he had lost his starting job in Baltimore. It was an article from the time the Jets signed him. I'll see if I can find it.

18. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Some really great posts in here by Joelip, NC and others. Thanks for the posts. Waiting for training camp is hard but posts like the ones above make it easier. Only 13 days until training camp.

Oh and Happy Bastille Day to everyone.

tomdeb, joelip and LAJet like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

Thanks! You have made some great posts in this thread too!

Happy Bastille Day to you as well. I just celebrated with a croissant! LOL

tomdeb and Noam like this.
  20. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I hope you were watching stage 17 of the Tour while eating that croissant!

NCJetsfan likes this.