Jets negotiating multi-year deal with OT Morgan Moses(Signs 1 year deal with Jets)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jun 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DefenseWinsChampionships

You're not really comparing me wanting to keep Jamison Crowder @ slot receiver (for Zach Wilson @ QB) to you wanting to keep George Fant @ Starting RT (for Zach Wilson @ QB) are you?

I've talked about a whole lot more than just locker room leader in regards to Jamison Crowder I've been able to also mention proven ability consisting of statistical production.

137 Receptions for 1,532 receiving yards and 12 TD Receptions featuring an 64.9% catch rate since becoming a Jet.

Jamison Crowder:
    75.3 PFF Grade (rated #1 on the Jets).

Jamison Crowder (only 28 years of age and just turned 28 in earlier June) is already considered one of the NFL's top 1-3 starting slot receivers within the game today.

I unfortunately can't talk like this about George Fant...

#201 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    Mogriffjr and blackssmagic like this.
  2. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Once again, you see words but the meaning and point completely escapes you. Thank you for remaining consistent.

3. DefenseWinsChampionships

If JD didn't understand the value and importance of an O-Line I don't believe he would've invested his first two ever draft picks into his O-Line during his first two drafts of 2020-2021 in Mekhi Becton and Alijah Vera-Tucker and he's also on the verge of landing a veteran Moses @ RT who's coming off of 96 consecutive starts (Damien Woody esque). Heck he even traded up for Vera-Tucker and risked both Elijah Moore and Michael Carter while doing so just in order to pick the #1 rated interior O-Lineman coming out.

In comparison to...

Our previous GMs who dating back to 2006 in Ferguson and Mangold of 15 years ago have not drafted not even one 1st round O-Lineman and never traded up for one either but yet JD goes 1st round O-Linemen back to back (2019-2020) throughout his first two years and we're questioning his knowledge of O-Line value?

To each our own because Zach Wilson (QB), Alijah Vera-Tucker (LG), Elijah Moore (WR) and Michael Carter (RB) looks awesome to me for a Offensive rookie draft class and you couldn't pay me enough to trade them in for more Maccagnan DT, DE, Safety and NT's

(Remember where we come from man look @ my username can't tell me things aren't different).

#203 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 20, 2021
  4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Its nice to think this way but I seriously doubt JD was thinking this way. If he would have taken Moore 23rd that would have been a mistake - except it might have convinced him that he needed to use 34 and 66 on linemen, which would have been more then what we got. The fact is we needed top linemen and 23rd could have been Darrisaw (or Jenkins). Also, our second 3rd was 86, so it would have been Carter at 86.

If we didn't trade up, it would have (or could have) gone like this:
    * = Actual draft position

1. Darrisaw at 23
    2. Moore at 34*
    3. Mayfield or Davis at 66
    4. Mayfield or Davis or Green at 86
    5. Carter at 107*

The difference is a star tackle and two solid guards (or 1 guard one center) vs the highest rated solid guard. Seriously, how many years are we going to spend to build our o-line? We had the picks to do it this season and went another direction. Its optimistic to pretend that using picks 14, 66, and 86 on the highest rated solid guard was a better deal then not using them, but its highly unlikely. Its true that AVT is the best fit in LeFluer's system so that is a positive for AVT. If he can be a solid guy for a long time it will also pay off. However, Tucker doesn't have to be a bust for it to have been a wrong move. He could end up just an average player, which means if Darrisaw, Mayfield , or Davis end up better players then the AVT pick was an unsuccessful reach. We took an expensive risk and I hope the risk pays off.

This is just one of a lot of different scenarios.

#204 ouchy, Jun 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  5. KingRoach

Since according to you positions don’t matter when reading PFF scores (Fant was mostly a TE and 6th OL at Seattle) maybe we should move Moses to CB; we don’t have much proven talent there.

My favorite DWCisms so far.
    -Having poor PFF grades at one position can be used to judge potential at another
    -Having good PFF grades 1 year completely negates poor grades the previous 3
    -Blocking schemes don’t matter if you have really good PFF grades 1 year
    -Being a “locker room leader” is important but being elected team captain by your teammates is meaningless
    -JD is about to lock in our savior at RT but won’t question why he wouldn’t trade a 2022 6th rd pick for said savior
    -JD understands the importance of building through the trenches but doesn’t know the importance of a strong OL when he gave our RT a 3 yr contract with the first 2 mostly guaranteed.

PS. I choose my words very carefully; whenever you have to use the phrase “in other words”, you probably missed the point.

If you want me to give your PFF grades with Van Roten and Fant any merit, show me what each graded out per week last year.

Jets69 likes this.
  6. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I’m surprised you feel this way. In regards to your first sentence I think the fact that he traded those picks to move up for Tucker shows he does understand the value of the OL. He saw the guy he wanted for his system and made damm sure he got him. Is there risk involved? Sure. However, I think the best way to construct an OL is one solid piece at a time. Yes, JD could have stayed where he was and taken whichever OG was available and taken another for good measure with one of the third rounders but that seems more Mackish. Just throw darts at a board hoping one sticks.

I really think the left side of the OL is settled for years now. I also guarantee JD will get another OL next year very high in the draft for the right side.

It’s best to space out the same position due to the salary cap these days. That’s why the Van Rotten, Fant, and possibly Moses signings. Hold the fort until a permanent solution is found which is something Mac never seemed to grasp.

ColoradoContrails and barfolomew like this.
  7. KingRoach

Ooh this looks fun. Let’s go back through the last 4/5 drafts and build a team with our new psychic abilities.

But seriously. Neither Darrisaw nor AVT would have been there at 23. MN wanted Darrisaw and multiple teams picking in the teens wanted AVT (as reported by multiple outlets).

Re how many years do we spend building our OL: the answer is all of them.

8. DefenseWinsChampionships

How do you not consider these examples (1-9 below) as being anything other than a serious JD commitment to Zach's development and future?

1.) LT: Mekhi Becton (1st round).
    2.) LG: Alijah Vera-Tucker (1st round).
    3.) WR: Elijah Moore (2nd round).
    4.) WR: Denzel Mims (2nd round).
    5.) WR: Corey Davis (FA).
    6.) RB: Michael Carter (4th round).

7.) 2021 Offseason: 3rd most cap space .

8.) 2022's Offseason: 3rd most available salary cap space @ $70,000,000+.

9.) 2022's Draft: 4 draft picks within the first two rounds.

There are only 11 available starting positions on an NFL offense you know so therefore how do we not consider examples 1-9 as anything other than a serious commitment to Wilson's development for future success"?

If examples 1-9 aren't the definition of a GMs serious commitment to Wilson's development for future success well then I don't know what is or possibly what else could be..

#208 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 20, 2021
  9. KingRoach

I’m amazed how you can be so wrong some posts but so right others.

10. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

As I said in my previous post I think its too soon to speculate on JD’s future, but I’m not going to tell people they’re nuts if they want too.

Ralebird likes this.
  11. DefenseWinsChampionships

Na. 2021 has JD's finger prints written all over his roster but 2020 was Adam Gase to a T (Frank Gore says hello hi). JD just arrived here and only got here last year (with the help of Gase remember). 2020 was JD's 1st draft as Jets GM and Mekhi Becton was his first ever Jets pick.

Mike Maccagnan:

Adam Gase = MM.
    Greg Williams = MM.
    Sam Darnold = MM.
    L. Bell = MM.
    C.J Mosley = MM.
    Jamal Adams = MM.
    Marcus Maye = MM.
    Quinnen Williams = MM.
    Jamison Crowder = MM.
    Edoga = MM.
    Braxton Berrios = MM..
    Chris Herndon = MM.
    Ryan Griffin = MM.
    Wesco = MM.
    Hewitt = MM.
    Bless Austin = MM.
    Avery Williamson = MM.
    Brian Poole = MM.
    Fatukasi = MM.
    Henry Anderson = MM.
    Jordan Jenkins = MM.
    Frank LuVu = MM.

Etc.

2021 is different though. JD to a T.

#211 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 20, 2021
    Mogriffjr likes this.
  12. DefenseWinsChampionships

Moses's 3 worst ratings of...

Moses.
    2017: 67.2.
    2018: 64.4.
    2019's: 65.2.

Are still higher than 3 of Fant best years of...

Fant.
    2016: 47.2.
    2019: 62.2)
    2020: 61.6).

Which just goes to show me that Morgan Moses on his worst days is still better than Fant @ his best.

#212 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 20, 2021
    barfolomew likes this.
  13. KingRoach

No… not at all. I haven’t mentioned Fant’s 2018 PFF rating Bc he wasn’t a starting OT that year. Maybe if JD decides to move him to be a 6th OL/eligible receiver I would Bc then it would be applicable.

PS if I’m mistaken and I did mention Fant’s 2018 PFF, please share that post below and I will sincerely apologize.

#213 KingRoach, Jun 20, 2021
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I didn't mean it literally, but I just don't understand anyone thinking about JD getting fired. Why would they? He's not getting fired any time soon, nor should he. What's the point? Things look the best for the Jets that they've looked in a long, long time. Anyone disputing that either hasn't been paying attention, is unrealistic, or doesn't know squat about football imo. People are free to think whatever they want, do whatever they want or say whatever they want, but on a forum like this, they should be prepared for others to comment upon or criticize what they say.

15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

My rating of Tucker is the truth. This was a very average draft year for guards and AVT was rated the highest. But not by a lot. He wasn't a blue chip player and wasn't rated that much higher then a guy that went 86th. The amount of draft capital we invested in AVT makes him a bigger gamble. If he becomes a superstar then great. In fact, if he can be a solid starter for the Jets for 8 or 10 years then that makes it worth it also. So rating be damned, who knows how he pans out.

Am I supposed to take A,B&C as serious excuses for our record last season? Seriously?

I'll agree with "D" being part of the problem.

I said the early results are in favor of these guys. Its still too early to decide who will have a better career. However, its still the truth DWC. Going into this season Wirfs will be rated a fair bit higher then Becton and Claypool will be ranked considerably higher then Mims. Its true that its only been one season, but you cant deny this is the situation. Yes there are intangibles that you can bring up. But this is still the actual situation. I'm just being real instead of hyped.

Yes it was still a lot of Macs team, which is why I said fingerprints and not "his team". He brought in a lot of FAs and had the draft. His moves didn't improve Macs team last year and 2-14 is his record. Again, we cant deny that is the situation. I get there are some excuses but you've got an excuse for everything that's gone wrong with the Jets. During this time I'm still gotta be realistic. I appreciate that your psyched for this roster and I'll join in by preseason. I cant go into a season not sunnysiding because I always need to believe that if everything goes right...

16. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

the only thing longer than a DWC post is when someone responds to a DWC post point-by-point-by point-by point-by point....haha :D

#216 patleahy, Jun 20, 2021
  17. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Guys, could you agree to disagree on this because it's fucking tedious seeing this insanely detailed argument play out about a player we havn't even signed yet.

patleahy, jonnyd, bicketybam and 2 others like this.
  18. DefenseWinsChampionships

Elijah Moore = 2nd round (34th overall).
    A.J Brown = 2nd round (51st overall).
    D.K. Metcalf = 2nd round (64th overall).

Elijah Moore: (2020).
    ~~ 8 games ~~
    86 Receptions.
    1,193 Receiving yards.
    8 TD Receptions.

vs.

A.J. Brown: (2018).
    ~~ 12 Games ~~
    85 Receptions.
    1,320 Receiving yards.
    6 TD Receptions.

D.K. Metcalf: (2017).
    ~~ 12 Game ~~
    39 Receptions.
    646 Receiving yards.
    7 TD Receptions.

No mistake about it.

#218 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 21, 2021
  19. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Ask them, it might make for a better conversation than the Moses one. They’re obviously seeing something different than you or I am. Attack the post, not the poster.

Ralebird likes this.
  20. DefenseWinsChampionships

You're just refusing to see anything different despite not since 1983 of almost 40 years ago had an NYJ Front Office ever used their first 4 picks all focused on offense despite being in an offensive driven league for going on 30 years now.

Is this the Jets we're talking about? I'm 36 years old and I've never witnessed this before.

• QB: Zach Wilson. (2021).
    • LG: Vera-Tucker (2021).
    • WR: Elijah Moore. 2nd pick of the 2nd round (2021).
    • RB: Michael Carter. 2nd pick of the 4th round (2021).

(Just take a look at my user name).

• Not since 2006 has a Jets GM last drafted any 1st round Offensive Lineman. Not since Brick and Mangold;

but yet JD does it within his first 2 years instead of taking 13-15 years to address it.

•Not since Stephen Hill and Devin Smith have we drafted WRs throughout the first two rounds and long before that too (I'm taking Keyshawn 96 1st round and Santana Moss 1st round days);

But yet JD does it during only his first two drafts of 2020/2021 because Denzel Mims and Elijah Moore are now two 2nd round WRs for Wilson as only a Rookie QB.

QB: Zach Wilson (2nd overall).
    LT: Mekhi Becton (11th overall).
    LG: Alijah Vera-Tucker (14th overall).

WR
    : Elijah Moore (2nd pick of 2nd round).
    WR: Denzel Mims (2nd round).

RB: Michael Carter (2nd pick of 4th round).
    RB: La'Mical Perine (4th round pick).

2022 = 4 draft picks within the first two rounds (NYJ/Seattle/NYJ/Carolina).

= 3rd most available salary cap space (over $70,000,000 compared to Buffalos $1,000,000).

This is different man.

#220 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 21, 2021
    Mogriffjr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.