NYJ drafted us 3 of the most explosive (and productive) players coming out in Wilson/Elijah/Carter.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Nice list. The Redskins cannot franchise Scherff three years in a row.

2. DefenseWinsChampionships

Yes. Yes. Yes. I deeply miss the days of Kevin Mawae and Nick Mangold too. Doesn't feel like Jets Football, without them.

Which is why I keep mocking us to Tyler Linderbaum out of Iowa who's without question the #1 Center within the Country.

Could you imagine (for both Zach Wilson and Michael Carter).

LT: Mekhi Becton (1st round)..
    LG: Alijah Vera-Tucker (1st round).
    C: Tyler Linderbaum (1st round).
    RG: Brandon Scherff (FA).
    RT: Moses Morgan (FA).

With Zach Wilson under a Rookie contract? There is no better position to heavily invest into than your O-Line.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Even if we wind up not signing Moses, you can forget Neal. JD would never draft him. They can't afford two 1st round OTs and an OG. That would be too much cap space tied up in the OL.

Noam likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

From that list, I would want Watt and Fred Warner. Unless Mims, Davis, Moore and Cole shit the bed, I don't think JD will be looking at signing a WR, although I would love to have Davante Adams or Allen Robinson. Jones is already 31. We could maybe sign him to a one- or two-year deal.

If we get Moses, we wouldn't need Brown, and Scherff is long in the tooth, more brittle, and may not be a good scheme fit.

I don't think Andrews or Gesicki are ideal scheme fits, nor do I think the Ravens will let Andrews leave. Chubb's not leaving Cleveland. He loves it there.

I'm hoping that there will be some good CBs, good OL depth, good LBs and LB depth, and other TEs who might be younger and better scheme fits.

Noam likes this.
  5. DefenseWinsChampionships

I disagree NC Because...

LT: Mekhi Becton.
    LG: Alijah Vera-Tucker.
    RT: Evan Neal.

Would become very affordable only because Zach Wilson bring on a Rookie contract.

Look @ the Dallas Cowboys they've had a dominant O-Line featuring...

LT: Tyron Smith (1st round).
    LG: Connor Williams (2nd round).
    C: Travis Frederick (1st round).
    RG: Zack Martin (1st round).

Which in return allowed for Ezekiel Elliott to become a Superstar RB and more importantly allowed Dak Prescott to become an elite Franchise QB.

They've still got all of their O-Lineman too.

Outside of only Travis Frederick who pulled a Barry Sanders and walked away from the game during his prime after 5 consecutive trips to the Pro Bowl. Because of a condition called 'Guillain-Barré syndrome'.

And you know what's crazy man? Even after all these highly drafted O-Lineman they've still got Amari Cooper and CeeDee Lamb @ WR while just handing out $160 million (with $126 million guaranteed) to Dak Prescott and this deal included a $66 million signing bonus, the highest in NFL history.

When you've got a potential Franchise QB on a Rookie contract man? There is never a such thing as too much $ invested into your O-Line.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. DefenseWinsChampionships

I listed them both but I don't believe T.J. Watt and/or Fred Warner will become an option, unfortunately; because Pittsburgh is set to be loaded heading into their offseason with $75,241,547 (#2 only behind Indianapolis) and likewise for Washington $60,599,914 (#4 only behind Jets/Steelers/Indianapolis).

We'll have to pooch from teams in salary cap hell like...

GB,
    Dallas,
    Saints,
    Rams,
    Bills,
    Giants,
    Texans,
    Titans,
    Browns
    Falcons

Who are all projected to be well below $10M in available salary cap space.

(especially GB / Dallas / Saints / Rams / Bills /Giants / Texans who are all under $2M).

Should be pretty fun for us Jets fans.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

I'm talking about in 4-5 years. Then you'll have Zach, Becton, AVT, Moore, Carter (Both) Mims and others all coming due for contracts within a 2-year period. IMO you get too hyped up on big name players. JD can find a very good RT in the 2nd or 3rd round that won't cost as much and will be plenty good. If he spends all of his money on the OL, there won't be cap space left for Moore, Wilson, defensive players, etc.

How many SBs did the Cowpukes win with that OL? Yes they have a RB that they had to pay big money to in a passing league. Now they've had to pay their QB, and they've had to let OL go and let their D go to crap.

8. DefenseWinsChampionships

I don't know NC. I'm looking at a lot of O-Lineman that Brady had throughout his N.E era and I'm noticing a lot of 1st and 2nd round O-Lineman man.

(especially during his younger/begining years when he was winning SBs back to back too).

Damien Woody (1st round).
    Logan Mankins (1st round).
    Nate Solder (1st round).
    Sebastian Vollmer (2nd round).
    Matt Light (2nd round).

Tom Brady doesn't make it to become the Tom Brady of today without being able to hide behind those hogs early on.
    Brady, especially as a kid QB had a front office who was spending a lot of $ on 1st and 2nd round O-Lineman in order to protect their kid QB (and then yeah, as the years went on, Brady no longer needed expensive O-Lineman).

And just look at Patrick Mahomes, too.

Eric Fisher (1st overall, 1st round).
    Cameron Irving (1st round).
    Mitchell Schwartz (2nd round).
    Mitch Morse (2nd round).

That was his Offensive Line during his 1st year as a starter.

And then this year? Now that guys like Fisher, Irving, Schwartz and Morse are no longer there?

What do they do?

They go out and dump a whole lot of $ into...

• Joe Thuney (All-Pro).

• Kyle Long (former 1st round pick and All-Pro/Pro Bowler)

• Orlando Brown Jr (Pro Bowler).

Andy Reid and company aren't playing about their O-Line man.

And this is even after Patrick Mahomes got like a 10 year deal worth over $500,000,000 but yet they can still afford Kelce, Tyreek Hill and 3 pro bowl O-Lineman?!?

I want JD to continue investing into our O-Line especially while Zach Wilson is under his rookie contact.

Becton and Vera-Tucker are two 1st round picks. If the #1 rated Center in the Country in Tyler Linderbaum is available round 1? He's a no brainier for JD. I want Tyler Linderbaum to become our next Mawae and Mangold.

And I want Zach Wilson A+ protected.

Especially under a rookie contract.

9. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

as a kid I always liked Jo Jo @mrjet80

10. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

fyi, it's poach

11. patleahy

us usual, @Losmeister is correct....you poach talent from other teams, but you pooch a punt. ;):)

Noam likes this.
  12. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I was at the Jets Dolphins game in Miami in 1988 and as the Jets pulled away in the last minutes and seats began to empty I went down to the first row behind their sideline and called out to Jo Jo waving my Jets pennant - he turned and gave me the thumbs up .... that’s my Jo Jo Townsell story ...

patleahy likes this.
  13. patleahy

lol, yeah Jo Jo always seemed like a good guy. Definitely an "all-time name"....impossible to forget.

14. DefenseWinsChampionships

One of my favorite games from Zach Wilson.

As a Sophomore @ Tennessee within the SEC this kid had one of the most magical 4th quarter come from behind drives of All-Time.

#174 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  15. DefenseWinsChampionships

QB: Trevor Lawrence.
    RB: Travis Etienne.
    WR: Elijah Moore.

Jacksonville blew an opportunity of a lifetime by selecting a CB over Elijah Moore.

QB: Zach Wilson.
    LG: Alijah Vera-Tucker.
    WR: Elijah Moore.
    RB: Michael Carter.

Are there any other teams who had this type of offensive draft outside of NYJ?