Jets negotiating multi-year deal with OT Morgan Moses(Signs 1 year deal with Jets)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Jun 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

George Fant - 64
    Morgan Moses - 18

These 2 are not even in the same stratosphere. Fant will be bagging groceries before the end of training camp.

Morgan Moses - 18
    George Fant - 64

The numbers don’t lie. One is considered a top player at his position who JD KNOWS will provided better protection for his rookie QB and the other is George Fant.

George Fant - 64
    Morgan Moses - 18

Morgan Freeman played God once. We all know about Moses. He parted the Red Sea, and he’ll be parting defensive linemen for Michael Carter all year long.

Morgan Moses - 18
    George Fant - 64

George Fant was a walk on for his HS football team and struck out at t-ball once in 3rd grade. Morgan Moses ate his HS football team.

#61 Jets81, Jun 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  2. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

The biggest sin the Jets have committed in the last few years (imho) was not supporting Sam Darnold after drafting him. Some of it was bad decisions, some of it was bad luck, some of it was bad coaching, and a lot of it was not putting enough resources into getting offensive players to help him.

At LEAST the Jets aren't making that mistake with Zach. If he doesn't work out it won't be for a lack of resources and effort. And to be honest that's all you can ask.

Plus if the Jets can just get him through the 21 season safe and healthy, hopefully win a few games, and get him gelling with some of these fairly fine looking skill players there is a great chance for even more help to be on the way in the coming drafts. If he can hold up his end and be the real deal the Jets could actually get this turned around pretty quick.

3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Or he will be the backup left tackle for when Becton goes down, let's hope the grocery store lets him come back if that happens.

KingRoach likes this.
  4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

You need more stats and be sure to put things in bold next time. Otherwise you did a solid job

NCJetsfan, Jets81 and K'OB like this.
  5. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

Moses is a good player but Washington didn’t use the zone-blocking scheme we will use. He may not be as effective here as he was in Washington. I understand the concern some may have. Regardless, it’s still worth a shot.

ColoradoContrails, KingRoach and Noam like this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Great signing. He will start at RT. Fant will still be needed. I sadly believe Becton will always have injury issues. Now you have the flexibility to play Fant at either tackle position so if there are injuries the line doesn't fall apart.

7. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

My sources tell me Chicago is also in the mix, but the Jets are definitely the front-runners.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

So this is likely a one year move by the Jets. Moses is 30 this year and that makes him 50/50 or so to decline each year moving forward. In many cases the move would not make sense from a rebuilding standpoint however the questions about the two starting tackles and the RG make this a decent move to try to solidify things for the rookie QB.

I'm not going to be surprised if the move goes south but I understand the rationale behind it.

Note that the Jets acquired Kelechi Osmele, a guy with a similar pedigree and role just two seasons ago and that move went south almost immediately.

9. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

That was Noah aka Russell Crowe with the animals. Moses led the Hebrews to the Promised Land. Maybe he can do the same for the Jets.

KingRoach, Brook!, cval and 1 other person like this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

lineman can play well into their mid 30s. moses has at least 3 if not 5 years left in the tank. a 3 year deal wouldn't be a bad move at all

IDFjet likes this.
  11. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Certainly possible. Anything that can improve and/or stabilize the line is a win to me.

patleahy, NCJetsfan and K'OB like this.
  12. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

That’s how removed I am from the brainwashing I endured in k-8. Moses parted the Red Sea I think.

westiedog1 and K'OB like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, we really want Moses. He's much better than Fant could ever hope to be both in pass protection and run blocking. He can move well enough to open holes in the run game, and to protect Zach. I couldn't care less if he can get to the second level and block. As long as he keeps Zach safe and opens holes for our RBs, that's all that matters.

As for trading for him last season. I think Washington was approached by teams, but refused to trade him. They wouldn't have taken a 6th round pick for him.

patleahy likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I know you were probably being sarcastic or joking, but in case you weren't, Fant won't be bagging groceries. The Jets cannot afford to release him. They'd take a big dead money hit.

patleahy and westiedog1 like this.
  15. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

The released Moses and got nothing in return.

They 100% would have taken ANYTHING if a team wanted to trade for him. That’s how this game works.

If getting to the 2nd level is an important part of our blocking scheme, you should 100% care if he can do that. Football the the #1 team sport. 4 OL moving in unison with Moses just standing there waiting for rushers is not an effective line.

I understand his “numbers” were good last year but football grades aren’t like college grades where you can just transfer those numbers when you change schools.

I hope we sign him and I hope he’s great but just like I won’t shit on the secondary until I see how the players work within the new scheme, I won’t declare Moses our savior until he does the same. If we were getting a rock star from a zone blocking scheme, I’d be way more optimistic but Moses isn’t that.

16. KingRoach

Yes, numbers lie all the time. Didn’t you read my Nate Solder reference? He was ranked 13th with the Patriots and his play dropped significantly after signing with the Giants.

Fant wasn’t a walk on football player in HS. He played basketball. He didn’t play football in college, he played basketball. He decided to switch to football after it turned out he wasn’t good enough to play in the NBA and didn’t want to play basketball in Europe. He then took a 5th year in college and played a handful of games to put himself in a position to be drafted to the NFL.

Fant has less football experience than most HS varsity players. Players get better with experience.

I’m dumbfounded that Jets “fans” know so little about Jets players. I’m flabbergasted so many football “fans” know so little about the nuances of the game.

17. BrowningNagle

Players get better with experience. Like 7 years of experience as a starting tackle in the NFL. Like Morgan Moses type experience. If only we could get a player like that....

18. KingRoach

Maybe we can get a player with experience AND another player with the athletic profile to fit in our system. That would be amazing. To have multiple good players on the team at the same time. I know Jets fans aren’t used to having too many good players on the the team, but that’s what winners do.

If Moses is such a sure thing, why weren’t we willing to trade a 6th and pay the man $7mm?

BrowningNagle likes this.
  19. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

All athletic profile aside, there’s a reason the Jets are reaching out and are talking to Moses. And he’s not coming here to sit on the bench I’d venture. If Fant was such a sure thing at RT, maybe Moses wouldn’t be on the radar. Fant was a decent RT last season. He may just be a peak swing tackle who has the athletic profile to play TE as another blocker.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

I'm down for keeping both. And I hope they do.

to answer your question the Jets possibly didn't trade for Moses because they obviously didn't have to. Why trade a 6th rounder for a guy when you can just wait and sign him when hes released. Looks like a good call
    ---

Mccagnan woulda sent the Redskins a 5th rounder and if they asked nicely maybe even a 4th rounder :D

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.