Roster Moves

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, May 5, 2021.

1. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

still on ye old backup QB is essential myth?

carry on.

NYGANGGREEN likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Great post!

3. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Was that the NE game in 95 when he came in at the end and led a TD drive leading to calls for him to start the rest of the year?

4. DefenseWinsChampionships

Sometimes having a Veteran backup QB, stinks.

In 1999 Vinny went down week 1 and what does Parcells do?

He plays his Veteran backup. Rick Mirer. The JAG goes 2-4 overall. 5 TDs/9 INTs and a crap QB Rating of 60.4.

Cost us the freaking Playoffs.

While all along, it should've been the unproven kid who got his shot early on. Ray Lucas. Kid gets thrown into the fire and goes 6-3 overall (first 9 NFL starts). 14 TDs/6 INTs. QB Rating of 85.1.

We finished 8-8 and barely missed the postseason.

All because we trusted a well below career losing bum of a backup (once starter) in Rick Mirer. Instead of going with the unknown youth and potential in Ray Lucas.

I want 4th round James Morgan as Zach Wilson's backup. Let's see how he looks in Training Camp before watching how he performs in preseason.

I can't stomach any more career losing JAG backups such as Rick Mirer, Ryan Shitztragic or Josh McCown anymore and/or a completely washed up and finished Mark Brunell etc when...

A.) We already know they stink.
    and
    B.) They'll stink some more once getting into the games.

No thnx.

Build up James Morgan as N.E once drafted before building up Jimmy G and how Philly once drafted and built up Foles etc.

Enough with these career losing JAG backups already (they STINK!).

5. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

It’s widely reported that neither Favre nor Flacco were mentors to Rodgers and Jackson.

Favre famously stated "My contract doesn't say I have to get Aaron Rodgers ready to play"

6. rinvesto

rinvesto Well-Known Member

No, it was in 1997, Parcells first year as coach.
    Foley became the starter to begin 1998. Played great in 98 opener in loss to SF, played poorly in week 2 loss to Baltimore and apparently hid that he was injured.

Vinny started week 3 in win over Colts and that was it for Foley

barfolomew likes this.
  7. DefenseWinsChampionships

Yup. I'm all for drafting and developing our own backups.

Check out this quote from coach Saleh about his opinion on backup QB's. He pretty much feels that it's lazy to just look for a veteran backup QB for comfort; rather than working like a dog to develop your own.

Jets in no rush to add veteran quarterback behind Zach Wilson

"To just think that just because they’re a veteran it’s going to help a quarterback, there’s a match that has to happen, there’s a scheme familiarity that has to happen,” Saleh said. “If you just bring in a veteran who doesn’t know your scheme, he’s learning just like the rookie is. Aside from helping him with rehab and [regeneration] and study habits, which I think Zach and that entire quarterback room is already ahead of the curve on how they handle their bodies and study, I don’t know if there’s much value aside from being comfortable that if the crap hits the fan you have a veteran who has played football. It’s more of a comforting feeling rather than working your ass off to develop the quarterbacks who are already in the building. I want for all three quarterbacks to get a chance to show what they could do this spring. After minicamp, we'll reassess our roster and decide whether we need to add a quarterback for training camp or not".

Damnit man do I love this dude already.

He'd rather give both of James Morgan (4th round) and Mike White (5th round) an NFL opportunity to show their value before throwing them away for career losing mediocre jag backup QBs such as the Fitzpatrick's and McCown's and/or the washed up Mark Brunell's of the world.

#187 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
    NYGANGGREEN and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

THIS^^^^

Thanks for posting this, DWC. I love it and Saleh too!

9. Losmeister

this

10. DefenseWinsChampionships

Also, this...

"If you just bring in a veteran who doesn’t know your scheme, he’s learning just like the rookie is"

And...

"I don’t know if there’s much value aside from being comfortable that if the crap hits the fan you have a veteran who has played football".

That part.

Notice how he only said "a veteran who's played football"?

And not a "good" veteran?

Why?

Because most career losing mediocre JAG veterans such as Ryan Shitztragic and Josh McCown absolutely STINK! And washed up guys like Mark Brunell serve no purpose because if your star QB goes down? These guys are just old and washed up.

My favorite part?

"I want for all three quarterbacks to get a chance to show what they could do this spring".

This man, gets it.

And now I'm beginning to see first hand (as a Jets fan) why Saleh was so beloved by his San Francisco 49er players; and that's because he's a players coach who actually gives his young players a chance to make a name for themselves (unlike Gase ala Frank Gore).

11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

All of this trash-talking makes me laugh, he gave us the best season in fucking years, followed by a bad one, he is what he is but is hardly worthy of your scorn, even McCown give us a decent 1st season, him hitting your man Robby was surely a highlight in your life.

There are better Jag's to slag off than those two.

12. Losmeister

i'd take smalllllllllllll issue with including Fitz cos he can play at an above average level. but yeah, McClown, Brunell...pukeworthy

13. DefenseWinsChampionships

He gave us a good season? He could've given us a good season, but then; this happened...

During one of our most important regular season games within Franchise history, against a divisional rival he completely crapped the bed while throwing 3 INT's (while all 3 INTs happened during the 4th quarter); and we still only lost by 5 points.

Not only that, but immediately following his 4th quarter choke job? The following offseason he demanded a big time contract in order to return to our Jets; as if he were some type of Tom Brady mega NY superstar or something.

And to make it worse? The following year of 2016? After getting his way and being paid a guaranteed $12,000,000? He craps the bed again!

Ryan Shitztragic (2016):
    3-8 overall (.272%).
    228/403 (56.6%).
    2,710 Passing yards (only 246 per game).
    12 TDs/17 INTs (pure garbage).
    QB Rating of only 69.6 (disgusting).

(he was Joey Harrington esque).

You can laugh and defend him all you want (LOL). But I won't.

At the end of the day he's been on 8 different NFL teams and has been thrown away by each and every single one of them.

And that's because he's a mediocre JAG of a career losing QB.

16 years in the league with 0 Playoff appearance?

A career losing record of 59-86-1?

I'm sorry K'OB but after throwing three 4th quarter Interceptions week 17 against Buffalo? Followed by demanding a $12M contract the following offseason? Before completely melting down in 2016 (after being $$$ PAID $$$) and then having the nerve to go 3-8 (.272%)? Only 56.6% completion percentage? 12 TDs/17 INTs? With a Joey Harrington esque QB Rating of 69.6? Nope.

To each our own K'OB. I'll just have to agree to disagree with you (in regards to "Fitzmagic").

Remember his 6 INT game?

PS: You should ask fans of the Jets (13-14), Rams (0-3), Bengals (4-7-1), Buffalo (20-33), Tennessee (3-6), Tampa Bay (4-6), Miami (9-11) and/or Houston (6-6) what they feel about their once mediocre QB who absolutely stole money from their Front Office(s) despite not having a winning above .500 record with any of them; because they'd be the one's "laughing" while you're trying to stick up for him.

[​IMG]

#193 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  14. DefenseWinsChampionships

I disagree.

16 years in the league?
    Now on his 9th team?
    0 Playoff appearances?
    59-86-1 career losing record?

Completely says otherwise (imo, at least).

And then following his week 17 choke job with the playoffs on the line consisting of 3 4th quarter Buffalo Interceptions he decides to demand $12,000,000 in order to return to our Jets while (once again) melting down come 2016 and to the tune of 3-8 (.272%), only a 56.6% completion percentage, 12 TDs/17 INTs along with a disgusting QB Rating of 69.6?

He stinks!

15. Losmeister

5 of last seven years with a QBR of 60 or higher... is bettern avg... and i said smalllllllll issue

cos , no iwouldnt advocate getting him...

16. K'OB

Look don't go back to your usual tactic of drowning people in statistical guff.

For whatever reason that you felt the need to prove him shit, he holds the Jets TD's in a season record, go and ask fans about that, you know the last time we had a decent fun season to watch, we are all aware of the Bills game and how it ended and don't need to be reminded from you.

I said ONE season so again wittering on about the 2nd season was pointless really.

To keep on calling him Shitztragic is a little pathetic tbh grow up man.

How many QB's have e thrown 400 yard games multiple times in a season, go and check that stat out STAT boy.

Like I said he is what he is, everybody knows that.

#196 K'OB, Jun 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  17. DefenseWinsChampionships

In the National Football League, 115 quarterbacks have passed for at least 400 yards in a single game ("400-yard game") 225 times in the regular season and 15 more in the postseason.

I don't know how many times they've done it multiple times but big deal? He's done it 6x throughout a whooping 165 games.

Meh.

Patrick Mahomes has already thrown for 400+ yards 5x despite only 46 games. Tom Brady has thrown for 400+ yards 10x. Peyton Manning threw for 400+ yards a whopping 14x. Dan Marino? 15x.

Etc. Etc. The list goes on and on and on...

Here's a better trivia question (for you).

How many QBs have played for 16 years without a single Playoff appearance?

Go and check, that stat out.

PS: He's been thrown away by 8 NFL teams for a reason, he stinks.

#197 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 17, 2021
  18. Losmeister

Im not beating a drum for Fitz.
    he's NOT HAD SUCCESS. theres no question.
    he's the weirdest QB that i have seen since i started watching football in the mid 70's.

but he is capable of playing well. thats all.

am not trying to convince you to like him or anything or change your opinion.

19. K'OB

Multiple 400-yard games in a season (4 times btw) only two other QB's have done it, EVER.

Check that stat out but do it correctly this time.

Playing 16 seasons when your shit is some feat though, don't you think?

20. DefenseWinsChampionships

Not sure why you're talking to me about "400 yards" when he never once threw for 400+ yards (as a JET).

But yeah. You must be referring to his magical 2018 season during his 14th year in the league lol where he only went 2-5 overall (another losing season) and was thrown away by TB the following offseason.

Congratulations for "breaking out" during your 14th year in the league?

Tampa Bay was SO IMPRESSED (like you are) with his 4 meaningless 400+ passing games, that they threw him away the following season...

PS: During one of his meaningless 400+ yards (loss) during 2018; he helped TB score a whooping 3 points lol. He stinks.

And throughout his 6 400+ passing yard games throughout his career? One game consisted of 0 TDS thrown and another one consisted of 3 costly INTs; and combined he could only go 3-3.

Congratulations?

Answer my question.

How many QBs have been in the league for 16 years without a single Playoff appearance?

#200 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 17, 2021