Jets and Crowder negotiations

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Jun 4, 2021.

1. Ray Lucas

Ray Lucas Well-Known Member

Feels good to have competent management

2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It is certainly novel :)

3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Great move for Zach Wilson. Look at the WR weapons he has:

-Corey Davis
    -Denzel Mims
    -Jamison Crowder
    -Elijah Moore
    -Keelan Cole
    -Braxton Berrios

The Jets have not had anything close to this since 2015, but I feel like this group could be better due to the possibility of growth from Mims and Moore. Heck, Davis may not have played his best football yet either. Crowder is as reliable as it gets for a rookie QB when he is on the field.

4. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Very pleasantly surprised! To me, the writing was on the wall for Crowder to be released. Great work by JD. This looks like as solid and deep of a group of receivers as I can remember. Priority number one was building around the QB and they've certainly done that with this group of WRs

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Davis isn't the one with the bloated contract. He counts 27 million against the cap over the next two seasons. I'm also not sure he is a better WR then Crowder, even as an outside guy. Tenn brought him in to be their #1 and he disappointed and was eventually replaced by Brown. He often struggled to get open as the #1. In 4 seasons he averaged 50 catches for 700 yards. Last season was his best, and that was as the #2 WR, and with Henry keeping the defense at the LOS.

So how do we view this guy as our new #1 WR? Did we give him magic pills to help him separate? Nah, the truth is JD likes his blocking. Is that worth 27 million guaranteed?

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

They will be. Maye is already there. This mini-camp is mandatory. I don't expect any absences.

cval likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Whereas I could have understood if the Jets had traded or released him, I'm so happy that they didn't!!!! I really like Crowder, and I think he will help Zach a lot, can help Moore and Mims, and maybe Cole.

This is what building around your QB looks like! Kudos to JD and especially to Saleh, who is wise enough to know that no matter how strong his D was, the team was not going to win unless or until the Jets focused on the offense for a change, and bought into it wholeheartedly!

Go Jets!!!

Noam, REVISion and The Dark Knight like this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

This says a lot about the team if crowder is willing to swallow his pride and take a pay cut to stay rather than just getting released. I think a lot of vets would have taken the release and seen if they could find a situation where they could se more success this year. Curious to see what the new numbers are

patleahy, Noam, REVISion and 2 others like this.
  9. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Glad to hear this. I don’t think this means Crowder will play his final year here. If coaches like him, I won’t be surprised if we gave him an extension after he tests the market next offseason.

patleahy likes this.
  10. K'OB

You thought of the fact he might not be the number 1?

I don't know who would be #1 though tbh, I was just putting it out there ;)

We look likely to play with 4 slot receivers, there is going to be some interesting formations or plenty of rotation at the least.

ouchy likes this.
  11. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Words cannot describe how much I hate the phrase "#1" receiver.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  12. K'OB

What do you call them then?

WR1
    WR2
    WR3

?

Or do you like it typed as number one WR?

So many different possibilities ;)

13. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

Great to see that it is resolved and Crowder is coming back. I think it was handled well by BOTH sides. Crowder is a good guy.

IDFjet and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

This is good news. In a perfect world Crowder would have been traded because the Jets have a surprisingly talented WR room.

But this is the real world, where injuries could have had Vincent or Jeff Smith getting significant snaps again. Not to pick on them necessarily, but I dont think I could have watched another young QB throwing to those guys as top options.

Additionally, until we see some of these new additions play, Crowder still may be the teams best receiver (most likely second best).

- Mims is a big question mark, especially if recent reports are to be believed. Looks like he has talent, but if he is struggling to separate against the Jets secondary, than we could have a problem.
    - Moore is a rookie. Sure, he looks like an absolute monster right now, but he's still a rookie.
    - Cole seems like a nice player, but is the same age as Crowder and definitely hasnt proven to be as good.

Overall, this is a great move by the Jets. Give Zach all the talent you can muster. Maybe sign a RG or RT with the Crowder savings.

Noam likes this.
  15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It's a foreign feeling. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. It's just so hard to accept that we might finally have a front office with brains.

I'm going to wait a little longer to completely crown them, god knows we've anointed a lot of other GM's/coaches as our saviors too early, but things are definitely looking up.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

We finally have a GM that thinks, acts and manages like a GM should. Great to hear that they came to turns.

REVISion, NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I’m not sure how you heard all that before since before JD our GMs where incompetent at best and we never fucking drafted offense in the first two rounds never mind WR. So to be high on the WR draft picks now is a fairly new feeling to us. Also JD did the right thing in renegotiating our slot receiver and he is now in camp. This is nothing like the past from the top down.

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Who is missing?

Noam likes this.
  19. DefenseWinsChampionships

That's a really crazy take about Corey Davis man. You're looking at statistics, and not reality.

Reality is that despite playing alongside of a bust QB in Marcus Mariota along with a (very good) game manager in Ryan Tannehill he was playing WR within a heavy run first Tennessee Offense featuring a Derrick Henry team who passed the football fewer than any other team throughout the previous 3 years.

Tennessee has ranked 31st (2018), 31st (2019) and 30th (2020) in Passing Attempts.

But yet you'll ignore, that part, when taking about his stats? Crazy.

J.D getting him because of "run blocking" is false; this kid went 5th overall for a reason and became the first and only player within NCAA history to (ever) record 300+ Receptions, 5,000+ receiving yards and 50+ TD Receptions.

Throughout the previous 3 years (despite being forced to play in a Derrick Henry run 1st offense) he's been able to record 173 Receptions for 2,476 receiving yards and 11 TD receptions with a 63.4% catch rate.

Those numbers are absolutely awesome once considering the fact Tennessee has ranked 31st, 31st and 30th in passing attempts throughout the previous 3 years.

But yet he was still able to record 173 catches for 2,476 receiving yards and 11 TD Receptions?!?

And last year alone he combined for 984 receiving yards throughout only 14 games!

But, but, but "RUN BLOCKING" LOL!!!

Please don't forget to mention how Tennessee ranked 31st, 31st and 30th in passing attempts throughout the previous 3 years while you crap all over his "stats" :rolleyes:

#99 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  20. DefenseWinsChampionships

Exactly. Deepest WR room we've had in, forever.

Don't forget Michael Carter (RB) this dude is electric and can flat out catch coming out of the backfield!

NYGANGGREEN likes this.