Hamsah Nasirildeen: 2021's (Defensive) Steal of the Draft;

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 10, 2021.

1. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

I personally think its one of the best drafts from top to bottom I've seen in a long time that's how much I like it. type of draft that can alter a franchise. last years draft outside of Becton I wasn't a huge fan of at all. I'm just hoping I'm right.

NCJetsfan, Brook! and patleahy like this.
  2. DefenseWinsChampionships

They captured my heart back in 1999. That was the year my family moved from Queens to Saint Petersburg, Florida. I had met a friend in High school my freshman year and 1st year in Florida he lived on the same street as me and for 4 years straight his parents would drive us from St. Pete to Tallahassee on the weekends for every FSU game and been hooked ever since.

Coop; still one of my best childhood friends 20+ years later.

In Queens I wasn't an NCAA football fan (only rooted for Notre Dame because of the movie Rudy) but down South in Florida H.S and NCAA football is a religion of a culture it was impossible as a Queens kid to not fall for the hype.

I've adopted both FSU & TB Rays over 20 years ago but they can never compare to my love and passion for the Jets and Knicks (for example, I don't post on FSU or Rays forums).

PS: Once my family moved from Queens to Florida? My Freshman year of H.S? I immediately realized that kids from Queens do not run as fast as these kids from Florida. Something about this humidity down here. Never seen anything like it these kids are blazing fast and lightning quick. I always thought I had great speed until I came to Florida; that's when I realized I'm just a New Yorker.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. DefenseWinsChampionships

Last night for the first time I watched as much film as I could on the likes of Jamien Sherwood (Auburn), Michael Carter II (Duke), Jason Pinnock (Pitt), Brandin Echols (Kentucky) and Jonathan Marshall (Arkansas).

I walked away with being the most impressed with CB, Jason Pinnock out of Pittsburgh (not even close).

Love his size @ 6'0/200lbs and really intrigued by his physical style of play.

Watched an interview of him where he mentioned that he's most prideful in his ability to play in press coverage while jamming opposing WR's at the L.O.S.

And the raw emotions he showed on draft night almost brings tears to your eyes and I love how he's a student of the game and has studied the great CBs who've came before him and as an added bonus he mentions being a Jets fan and following us since the days of Darrelle Revis (Pittsburgh as well).

All I know is both Bless and Hall better step up on the outside come 2021 because if not, this Pinnock kid is coming for their #1 spot.

NYGANGGREEN and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I have a video uploading soon about Jamien vs Hamsah. Should be a good competition, but I do favor Hamsah right now. Love what he did at FSU. Knee injury must have scared some teams away because his tape is pretty freaking good.

5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I fully believe we don't have our #1 CB and will need to get him in next year's draft. Highlight reels of a day 3 pick won't change that.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  6. DefenseWinsChampionships

With two 1st round picks I'd freaking love one of either Derek Stingley Jr. (LSU) or Kaiir Elam (Florida Gators).

CotcheryFan likes this.
  7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Either one would be a wonderful addition to our CB room. Andrew Booth from Clemson is someone I have my eye on.

8. DefenseWinsChampionships

I hope Seattle has an awful season while our Jets contend for the Playoffs but could you imagine if both have bad seasons and JD drafts both of Derek Stingley Jr. and Kaiir Elam back-to-back during the 1st round?

Our outside CB duo would be set for the next 10 years with A+ blue chip prospects.

Darrelle Revis.
    Aaron Glenn.
    James Hasty (was heartbroken as a kid once he left for K.C).
    Antonio Cromartie.
    Ray Mickens.

Those are my favorite Jets CBs of All-Time and ok. Maybe I'm being extreme with a duo of Stingley Jr./Elam but it just doesn't feel like the JETS without having these types of CBs on our roster.

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I truly believe Bryce Hall will make you forget all about needing a #1 corner in next years draft.

10. DefenseWinsChampionships

I really like Bryce Hall and he actually did really good against some awesome #1 WRs last year (he competed) but I'm sorry, if one of either Derek Stingley Jr of LSU or Kaiir Elam of Florida are available with one of our two 1st round picks? You can not pass that up.

Damn. I wish I could find the article about Hall that I read a couple of weeks ago because it showed the stats of WRs he went up against and the kid held his own (I just looked but, I just can not find it).

However, I did find this one...

"Bryce Hall showing early signs of becoming a #1 CB".

"The 2020 fifth-round draft selection is quickly establishing himself as a starting-caliber defensive back. Here’s are three indicators that suggest that he could become a future No. 1 cornerback.

Bryce Hall’s Production
    Entering Week 17 of the regular season, Hall has recorded a 64.5 PFF grade which ranks around average at his position. For the sake of context, other notable AFC East corner rank as follows for 2020:

• Xavien Howard: 88.3 (leads the NFL)
    • Tre’Davious White: 74.5
    • Stephon Gilmore: 61.0
    • Byron Jones: 59.5
    Despite playing in a division full of Pro Bowl and All-Pro cornerbacks, Hall has managed to achieve a grade that fits amongst this top level of competition."

So yes I appreciate your enthusiasm regarding Hall however I'm absolutely in love with both Stingley Jr. and Elam; I couldn't pass them up all because of Hall's potential.

11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

By the time the draft comes around it will be based on hall’s production not potential. He is legit. Keep an eye on isiah Dunn the udfa also. He’s getting a lot of looks at camp and the staff supposedly love him.

12. DefenseWinsChampionships

True but even if Hall emerges as an All-Pro next year both of Stingley Jr. and/or Elam are way too awesome to pass up (unless Kayvon Thibodeaux is still available as a 4-3 DE pass rusher).

13. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

the Jets brass seemed to throw a ton of athletic young corners to see what sticks.

Bryce Hall, Bless and Hardee seemingly are the ones who are guaranteed to stick on the roster. Then you got ALL these young talented corners

Guidry
    Carter III
    Pinnock
    Echols
    Dunn
    Lamar Jackson
    Ballentine (KR/CB)

I liked Guidry in the slot, speed demon who made some big plays. Didn’t care for Jackson (PS candidate).

then the FOUR rookies. Even if Guidry makes the team, two of the rookie corners hit the PS squad. Ballantine is expendable with Hardee in the fold.

Red Menace and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. DefenseWinsChampionships

Wow. You weren't lying about Guidry being a speed demon. Had to fact check you and this kid can fly.

@ 4.30 (flat) he posted the 5th fastest 40 time of any current active NFL player and only behind the likes of Tyreek Hill (4.29), Henry Ruggs III (4.27), Marquise Goodwin (4.27) and John Ross (4.22).

He also ran the 100 Meters (109.3 yards) in only 10.35 seconds (official).

Speed kills and you just made me a fan of this kid I'm going to follow him closely throughout mini-camp, training camp and into preseason.

(I still want one of either Stingley Jr./Elam).

Mogriffjr likes this.
  15. Northlaker620

Northlaker620 New Member

Hamsah Nasirildeen - coming off an injury, essentially learning a new position, and as a 6th round pick - sounds like the practice squad(at least initially)

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that you're right about this year, but not about last year. If Mims, Davis, and Mann develop that will be HUGE. Of course, I'd rather Clark develop into a good starter, but if he just develops into a quality backup, I'll be happy, Anything we get from Morgan (a Gase pick), Perine and Zuniga will be gravy.

17. NCJetsfan

Sure you could! There are a number of reasons why: In this defense you don't need two A+ CBs prospects, and if they both develop, you couldn't pay them both in 4 years. If Hall, Dunn or Pinnock plays lights out this year and is recognized as a top 10 CB. If an elite pass rusher is sitting there and the Jets pass rush didn't develop as planned (1st-1st round pick, and the Jets fail to sign Moses and Fant struggles (2nd-1st round pick on RT). If an elite pass rusher is sitting there (1st - 1st round pick), and Davis and Mims don't live up to billing, and an elite WR prospect is sitting there at the 2nd - 1st round pick. If McGovern struggles again this year, the two 1st round picks could be used on a DE or WR and C. If Herndon doesn't turn things around, and the TE from A&M is sitting there, the Jets could take a DE, WR or RT and TE with their 1st two picks.

I don't think Hall will ever become a #1 CB because he just doesn't have the footspeed to stick with Tyreek Hills in the NFL. I think he will be a very good, if not great, #2 CB. I could see the Jets drafting one of those CBs, but not both. That's just not going to happen. Using both #1s on CBs is over-eager fan thinking, not GM thinking.

18. NCJetsfan

I would be shocked if Guidry doesn't make the team. Also, don't count out Dunn. The Jets are very high on him and he looked pretty good in OTAs.

19. DefenseWinsChampionships

Practice squad?!?

You do know that Hamsah Nasirildeen has been getting all the 1st team reps @ OLB during OTAs, right?

You do know that just about every NFL draft experts have been pegging this kid as the defensive STEAL of the draft, right?

And as an FSU fan I can honestly say that he was an even bigger tackling machine @ FSU than Jamal Adams was @ LSU.

Oh yeah. Speaking of injury. He returned for our final two games and during his last game as a Seminole he had a MONSTER game against Duke with 9 tackles (1 for loss) and an INT returned for 20+ yards.

"Practice squad".

He's going to make you EAT THOSE WORDS.

NYGANGGREEN likes this.
  20. Northlaker620

Northlaker620 New Member

Most respectfully, please calm down you come across like his girlfriend - I never said Hamsah wasn't a solid prospect or a good player. However, the stark reality is the team can only carry 53 on their "initial" opening day roster. This fact coupled with the learning curve of a new position together with the initial adjustment for any rookie to the NFL would indicate Hamsah has a seemingly steep mountain to climb this summer. A big "X factor" though is always injuries and/or if he absolutely lights it up on special teams. Nevertheless, If you thoughtfully scrutinize the JET roster as it exists today - there is clearly A LOT of competition for those remaining spots(on the 53).

nycarl likes this.