The 2021 Jets and Beyond have a Bright Future

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Dec 23, 2020.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Morgan was a mid-round draft pick. If he works out, great, if not, move on to the next guy for now. The Jets can't depend on him to be the back-up for Wilson and I am sure they won't. As @patleahy said, it is also good to have a veteran who can mentor Wilson. More importantly, the season can't be ruined if Wilson gets hurt. That would be the case if they were forced to go with Morgan or White at the moment. Foles or Mullens could hold down the fort if Wilson has a minor injury. The Jets may not be a playoff team, but this also isn't a throw-away season team either. They need to compete and set up the future properly. Tanking with Morgan or White would be terrible. If they could step up that would be different, but from what I have read from beat reporters, they have been pretty bad in OTA's.

It would benefit Zach Wilson to get a veteran QB on the roster and I think they will soon.

patleahy likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm fully aware of when Morgan was drafted. Actually, he wasn't a 3rd round pick but a 4th round pick. He wasn't a UDFA or a 6th or 7th round draft pick, however. A quality pick was used on him.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this. I don't think Wilson needs a mentor. IMO there's is probably very little that Mullens could teach Wilson outside of a 10-minute conversation. Unlike Sam, Wilson has a great OC, has an experienced QB Coach and Passing Game Coordinator that is a former QB Coach and who has a ton of experience.

We don't know whether they can depend upon Morgan or not. He's very smart and is a film junkie himself, so like Wilson, probably already has a very good handle on the offense. The only way they know whether they can or cannot count on Morgan is to give him the reps in practice, training camp and preseason.

If Wilson gets hurt, the season is over anyway. No backup is going to be able to be close to what Wilson can do, not even Foles. Maybe if they had signed Beathard, but that ship has sailed. You don't know that the season would be ruined if Morgan played.

As I said, if Morgan looks lost, in over his head and is bad, then yes, they need to sign a backup, but it is still way too early imo to make that decision. By the time TC is over, Morgan could have easily stepped up.

#402 NCJetsfan, Jun 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    westiedog1 and The Dark Knight like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

No, he doesn't need a tutor. He has shown that already. Mullens certainly doesn't have much, if anything, to offer to Wilson imo. As I told TDK, Wilson has LaFleur, the QB Coach and the Passing Game Coordinator, who is himself a former QB Coach with a ton of experience and a record of success to go to if he needs help.

I think the Jets will wait until Foles is released. If they think Morgan can't handle the backup job then, they'll move to sign Foles.

Mullens has started a grand total of 16 games in the NFL and played in parts of 19. What exactly do you think he can teach Wilson? He was a UDFA. It's not like he was a hot shot prospect too.

westiedog1 and patleahy like this.
  4. The Dark Knight

No, that is fair. The Jets know the situation. If they feel Morgan can handle it, then that is great. If not, sign or trade for someone. I was thinking similar to the Sam mono fiasco in 2019. He goes out, Siemian instantly goes out, so the Jets lose multiple games they may have been able to win with a solid back-up QB because Falk had no chance. I wouldn't want that in 2021. I'd rather have a Foles or Mullens step in for 3 games and maybe win 1 or 2 of them.

patleahy and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

I understand wanting to have a reliable backup and not be in the same situation as we were with Falk. I don't that that's possible with JD and Saleh, however. They're wiser and will do what they need to do. I'm confident that if they don't think Morgan can handle it, JD will trade for Foles or sign Mullens or get someone else.

westiedog1 and Noam like this.
  6. DefenseWinsChampionships

This whole myth that younger QBs needs career loser/JAG backups as mentors is just that, a myth.

What did the likes of Mark Brunell (once, great) and two career losers in Shitztragic/McCown ever do for the development of Geno/Sanchez/Darnold? Absolutely, nothingness.

The best backups are homegrown backups drafted by their respected Franchise. Who can potentially impress during preseason and net you draft value in return etc.

I hated the James Morgan pick but I'd rather our coaching staff develop him as a backup rather than career losers like Fitz/McCown.

When you've got awesome QB coaches and OCs you don't need crap JAGs showing your young gun Franchise hopeful QB's how to... Lose.

NCJetsfan and patleahy like this.
  7. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

@DefenseWinsChampionships you certainly have strong opinions and don't mince words, DWC....I'll give you that, lol....;)

8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Can you Link up these pretty bad reports if possible, last season White reportedly had a good camp. Off the pointless videos from OTA I am sure you see an occasional pass by White but they show so little it is pointless guessing.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  9. K'OB

10. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I think it all depends on what the expectations for this coming season are. I don't think we are headed for the Super Bowl. If we were, then a good reliable backup is a must just in case our No. 1 goes down. However, for this season, 6-9 wins with a shot at a wild card would be my highest prediction. For that, I think we can afford to take a look at either Morgan or White provided they perform up to CS standards in practice. Agree with DWC the QB mentoring thing is overrated.

NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

When a comes to a mentor it's the 'off-field' stuff....what a rookie does in his 'free' time. Does he go clubbing with his mates till 4am -or- does he eat right, get his rest, and film study??? That's where a vet comes in.

Look at some of the QBs who have failed....Johnny Football Manzel, DeWayne Haskins, that fat pig #1 overall the Raiders took, they all say years later the mistake they made was not taking the game and the 24-hr-a-day prep seriously enough in the beginning. They all partied like it was new years ever 24/365. They came in hung over and ill-prepared.

That's where a mentor comes in and settles the rookie down and shows him the lifestyle he'll need to succeed.

But ZW seems pretty well grounded. And he lives and breaths film study all ready. A vet-BU probably can't mentor him too much in his lifestyle.

So...give the BUQB job to Morgan or White. If we feel it's OK for a rookie who's never taken an NFL snap to START, then we should have no qualms with a BUQB who's been with the team 2 years and knows the playbook to act as a BU, if need be,

12. patleahy

well-said K'OB!!! lol.....;):D:D

13. K'OB

It was a prudent edit, damn site needs a delete button ffs

NCJetsfan and patleahy like this.
  14. patleahy

LOL yeah I hear you K'OB...I am always surprised when I go to delete something that the site doesn't offer you that option, even immediately after posting your message.

15. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Heck, they could save a lot of money and hire a mom for that.

16. The Dark Knight

K'OB likes this.
  17. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

The other day I watched the condensed version of the Browns and Rams games.

Then I imagined having a better HC, a better system and much better players including:
    QB
    LG
    2 WRs
    2 RBs
    Edge
    DL
    2 LBs
    S

The most popular phrase on the board seems to be “we’re not going to be good this year” and I wonder, “why not?”

People like to point out it takes a year for an OL to gel but 4 out of our 5 starters are returning from last year. KC and LAC have 4 new starters on their line but I haven’t heard any of those concerns when people talk about them.

People say we need a shutdown corner but I can’t think of the one SF had when they went to the SB.

Every Jets coach sans Gase had a winning record their first year. Will we be putting Saleh on the same page of Jets history as Gase?

Our HC played against and had to prepare for the AFC East last year so the Bills, Fins, and Pat’s weaknesses are still fresh in his mind. Our DC played in the NFC South which is the division we’re playing against this year so I suspect we will be very prepared for those games. Our DC played against the AFC West last year and when he was the DC held the LAC and KC to 20 and 17 points respectively. For the Chiefs, it was their lowest scoring game of the regular season.

I have season tickets and am not ready to write this year off.

Edit: My biggest concern for this year is that fucking turf.

#417 KingRoach, Jun 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    The Dark Knight, NCJetsfan and LAJet like this.
  18. K'OB

Thank you, but I don't want Foles coming in, champing at the bit like a new version of Fitz.

19. NCJetsfan

Spot on, Westie! If the CS were thinking that we were a playoff team, then of course they should sign a vet backup.

westiedog1 and The Dark Knight like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

That's Connor Hughes' opinion. Like most of the media, he's a victim of group think, and thinking that winning games even in a rebuilding season is more important than developing young players and seeing which players are keepers going forward.

I trust Saleh, LaFleur and JD more than Hughes. I feel certain that if they think there is a need to add a vet backup, they will. It's still VERY early! If Morgan and White don't look any better at next week's mandatory mini-camp, I believe that JD will sign Mullens or trade for Foles. I hope that he will wait, however. I think it would be a waste of draft capital to trade for Foles. They can sign him as FA once Chicago releases him. There's no way that they're going to keep him. Dalton is their starter and Fields will be the backup.