Sites and Sound from OTA's (May) What stands out to you?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, May 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DefenseWinsChampionships

Revis had every right to demand getting paid as the #1 CB; Maye doesn't have the right to demand anything.

At the end of the day Marcus Maye is being a selfish and greedy (me first) player and is refusing to be there for both of his teammates and coaching staff during the offseason.

I personally can't stand him.

A supposed ball hawking FREE SAFETY with a combined whooping 6 INTs throughout 4 years (2, 1, 1, 2).

For a soon to be 30 year old (before his 2nd NFL contract) as a Mike Maccagnan pick he should be fighting for his roster spot as the 1st one in and the last one out but instead of being a team leader, he's become a locker room cancer and has refused to show up for both coach Saleh and his teammates (all because he's being greedy and selfish).

His Franchise Tag is worth $10,612,000 this year but yet he's still refusing to show up to OTAs as a Defensive leader?

Disgusting.

Mekhi Becton is being forced to sit out by coach Saleh and is still getting destroyed by much of our fan base but yet Maye is refusing to show up out of greed and spite; but yet gets a free pass?

#241 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. I think you're way overreacting regarding Maye. He has been a great Jet and a solid player. If he were to suffer a serious injury, he'd be screwed. He's being smart and protecting himself. In his perspective, he probably thinks the Jets could have already signed him to an extension, so it's their fault that he isn't at OTAs and mini-camp.

PJ4Ever and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. DefenseWinsChampionships

If he were to suffer a serious injury he'd still make $10,612,000 (enough to feed his grandchildren's children forever).

And no. He's not a "great player". Never made the All-Rookie team, never made an All-Pro team and was never even voted into the Pro-Bowl (despite 4 years of play); because that's what GREAT PLAYERS, do.

He's above average, at best (imo mediocre) and despite being a supposed to be "ball hawking" FREE SAFETY he's only combined for a stinking 6 INTs throughout 4 years (2, 1, 1, 2).

Sorry NC, I disagree because imo there is nothing "great" about soon to be 30 years old Marcus Maye.

4. NCJetsfan

I didn't say that he was a "great player." I said that he has been a great Jet, and he has. It's obvious that Saleh and JD disagree with you or they would have let him walk. Instead, they tagged him and are trying to sign him to an extension.

5. DefenseWinsChampionships

Are they really trying to extend him long-term? Or do they simply want him to play on a 1 year deal in order to see how he first fits into a Saleh led Defense?

He's not a JD pick and he's most certainly not a Saleh player. That's why they only offered him a Franchise Tag because if they truly wanted him long term? He'd be signed already.

And if they do want to extend him long term, they're trying to low-ball him because they don't believe in him enough to commit long term.

Regardless. Marcus Maye had no right to refuse showing up to OTAs, outside of being a greedy locker room distraction.

6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

IMO the short of it is he is unhappy he got tagged instead of extended immediately, but he needs to accept the fact that it was a business decision well within the Jets right to apply. He will get paid top dollar. While you are trying to build a team you want to keep your options open. Maye of course feels he earned a long term contract with his performance and pushing back some. OTAs are voluntary so he was within his rights to do so. If he doesn’t show up for mini camp he is then in the trade me or pay me mode and things might get tense. I have to believe he will be there.

#246 LAJet, Jun 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  7. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

I completely agree. I was someone who didn't care if we traded Maye for a draft pick. Now he's acting like he's been playing at an all-pro level for several seasons now.

He is making 10.6 million dollars this season.

Maye will be gone since his position is not placed at a high value in Saleh's defensive scheme.

For those that talked about his value because of his veteran leadership, well where is he? He isn't in camp providing veteran leadership!

As you said in another post, he needs to show Saleh that he can fit into his scheme before talking long term. But I can see us trading him for a pick.

I can also see Maye's salary going towards a higher position of value. That's what I believe will happen.

8. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

In other news, my dawg Berrios is having a great camp!

KingRoach and Noam like this.
  9. DefenseWinsChampionships

I just can't get over the fact that he's a supposed "ball hawking" FREE SAFETY but yet has a whooping 6 career INT's throughout his first 4 years with seasons of only 2 INTs, 1 INT, 1 INT and 2 INTs.

Jets fans will harp all over a SS's lack of INTs (like no tomorrow) but yet...

Completely ignore how Marcus Maye is playing the same exact FS position that ball hawks of my generation such as Ronnie Lott, Steve Atwater, James Hasty, Ed Reed, Darren Sharper, Brian Dawkins, Earl Thomas and Harrison Smith etc all made infamous. Heck even past their prime players in Rod Woodson and Charles Woodson could both still ball hawk with game changing INTs towards their later years (once switching over from CB to FS). John freaking Lynch a nasty hard hitting Strong Safety had better success than Maye @ Ball Hawking with Interceptions.

He's a stiff back there with a combined 6 whopping INTs throughout his first 4 years; despite playing Center Field with freedom to be able to roam as a Free Safety. And that's absolutely pathetic

(Justin Simmons @ FS recorded 5 INTs just last year of 2020 alone and even that sissy Kerry Rhodes doubled Maye and recorded 12 INTs throughout his first 4 years).

Etc.

I'm already hoping in 2021 an NCAA FS emerges as a real ball hawking FREE Safety in order to get Marcus Maye out of here asap.

He can't even play in the box because he has 0 pass rushing ability and 0 ability to make tackles for loss behind the line of scrimmage.

I even remember Gator fans down here in Florida telling me while he was in college that he tackles like a Mack Truck but yet only has 4 forced fumbles as a JET...

He's an absolute stiff who ran out of breath during his first and only TD opportunity off an INT (still 0 defensive TDs).

He's slow and has bad stamina runs like a 4.5 and in today's NFL that's awful for a, "Free Safety".

PS: Sorry for turning this into a Marcus Maye thread it's just frustrating me how he's acting like a diva and expecting to get paid despite our Secondary absolutely stinking last year with him @ FS.

#249 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  10. NCJetsfan

Guy, you need to work on your reading comprehension, or slow down when you read posts. I don't think your misquoting me was intentional, but if it was, knock it off. Again, you misquoted what I said. I didn't say anything about long term. I said that they are trying to sign him to an extension. It could just be for 1-2 years. At his age, I doubt they are trying to sign him to even a 3-year deal, much less a 4- or 5- year deal. Your perspectives on players is too uneven and emotional. You either hate them or are madly in love with them. There is middle ground.

#250 NCJetsfan, Jun 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  11. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

This is a really trash take lol

Ptflea2, KingRoach, abyzmul and 2 others like this.
  12. DefenseWinsChampionships

13. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

IDK man--he signed his franchise tag. I wouldn't read too much into it right now.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  14. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

That’s not how income works…. Agents and the gvt are taking a significant chunk of that money

That’s not how spending works…. Do you really think he wants to be eating at TGIFridays?

The more you make, the more you spend… I hope someday you find out that truth for yourself

CotcheryFan and REVISion like this.
  15. 24McNeil

24McNeil Well-Known Member

Revis wanted to be paid as top defensive player, not just 1 cb. right or wrong, it is a polarizing demand that upset fans, especially after he held out as a rookie.

As for Maye, I'm not the biggest fan either, I would never sign him to a long term contract and keep him tagged and do it again next year, if his play is deserving.

16. DefenseWinsChampionships

Revis holding out never once bothered me as a fan because during his prime he was the All-Time greatest man to man coverage CB who ever lived to play the game and gave me more enjoyment than any Jets player, ever (I 100% had his back and wanted for him to become paid accordingly).

Marcus Maye on the other hand? Meh.

17. DefenseWinsChampionships

Revis holding out never once bothered me as a fan because during his prime he was the All-Time greatest man to man coverage CB who ever lived to play the game and gave me more enjoyment than any Jets player, ever (I 100% had his back and wanted for him to become paid accordingly and if Jets fans didn't want Revis to be paid they'll never want anyone to ever be paid).

Marcus Maye on the other hand? Meh. If he doesn't show up for mandatory mini-camp I hope this fan base turns on him 10x more than Revis/Jamal.

18. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Maye isn't holding out, these practices are voluntary. If they are indeed working on an extension, it would be dumb for him to risk injury. This is not being "greedy" its just smart on Maye's part. Two San Fran players already out for the season and yesterday its been reported Kyle Long might be done too.

What about your boy Carl Lawson? He's not at these voluntary practices. You so outraged over him?

PJ4Ever and Noam like this.
  19. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree with you that there is no need for Maye or Crowder to be there as they are voluntary and it would be foolish for them to attend before their contracts are done. But it has been written that both Maye and Crowder will attend next week. In regards to Lawson, he did show up to OTAs at the end of this last week.

20. NCJetsfan

From The Athletic Thursday OTA Report:

https://theathletic.com/2645251/202...and-updates-on-rb-rotation/?source=dailyemail

Wilson report
    Wilson finished seven-on-sevens 8-for-11 with two touchdowns and was 6-for-10 with an interception in team drills. Wilson did complete a seventh pass in 11-on-11s, but the referees flagged the defense for jumping offsides.

Kicking update
    This is a problem for the Jets. It’s been a problem for the Jets since Mike Maccagnan let Jason Myers walk in free agency. The Jets ran through their kicking gauntlet Thursday with veteran Sam Ficken and rookie Chris Naggar. Ficken missed two of his three attempts. Naggar went 3-for-5.

Running back by rotation
    The current backfield rotation for the Jets: Some variation of Ty Johnson, Coleman, Michael Carter and La’Mical Perine. Josh Adams seems to have fallen back a bit.

Quick hits and tidbits
    • The Jets’ punt return rotation continues to be RB Michael Carter, Berrios and Moore. The weird thing about Carter and Moore is that neither did much punt returning in college. Boyer loves the two in the role, though, because they have the ideal skill set (quick, agile, vision, explosiveness) to excel. The one thing they have to learn: judging the ball when it’s in the air. The good news: They’re putting in the work. Boyer said both guys show up at 6:30 a.m. to practice before others arrive.

• It’s pretty remarkable just how active Berrios is at practice. He caught seven passes in team work (seven-on-seven and 11-on-11) Tuesday. He caught seven more Thursday. He’s establishing himself as Wilson’s safety blanket.

• Among the highlights of practice: a gorgeous pass breakup from Justin Hardee while working with the third-team defense. He’s more of a special teamer, but this play near the goal line in seven-on-sevens got quite the reaction from his teammates.

• Corner Michael Carter continues to make plays. He had a great one near the goal line when he stopped tight end Kenny Yeboah before he was able to score. Not an easy thing to do. Carter is 5-10 and 184 pounds. Yeboah is 6-4 and 250.

• The Jets made a transaction after practice, signing safety Sharrod Neasman and placing offensive lineman Parker Ferguson on injured reserve.

• Saleh wore an Islanders jersey to begin his pre-practice news conference. That was cool to see. There’s quite the bromance developing between the Jets and Islanders.

• There was a play during the middle portion of practice when running back Ty Johnson darted between the tackles for a solid gain. It’s a padless practice, so running plays are largely meaningless. This is noteworthy because once the second team came in, Johnson ran over to the defensive sideline to talk to linebackers C.J. Mosley and Jarrad Davis. He explained what he did on the play and how he was able to have success, then Mosley and Davis told him how they wanted to counter. I don’t remember seeing that before.

• Two more players receiving additional first-team reps on defense: linebacker Bryce Huff and defensive lineman Tanzel Smart.

Seven-on-seven play-by-play
    Starter reps for the four periods

• (1) Zach Wilson pass dropped by La’Mical Perine
    • (1) Zach Wilson short pass complete to Braxton Berrios
    • (1) Zach Wilson short pass complete to Elijah Moore
    • (1) Zach Wilson scramble (no one open)
    • (2) Zach Wilson short pass complete to La’Mical Perine
    • (2) Zach Wilson medium pass complete to Braxton Berrios
    • (3) Zach Wilson short pass complete to Michael Carter
    • (3) Zach Wilson medium pass complete to Tyler Kroft
    • (3) Zach Wilson medium pass complete to Tyler Kroft
    • (4) Zach Wilson short pass complete to Kenny Yeboah (red zone)
    • (4) Zach Wilson touchdown pass to Elijah Moore (red zone)
    • (4) Zach Wilson touchdown pass to Braxton Berrios (red zone)
    • (4) Zach Wilson pass dropped by D.J. Montgomery (red zone)
    • (4) Zach Wilson pass dropped by Vyncint Smith (red zone)
    11-on-11 play-by-play
    Starter reps for three periods

• (1) Zach Wilson short pass complete to Vyncint Smith
    • (2) Zach Wilson pass intercepted by safety J.T. Hassell (Chris Herndon drop)
    • (2) Zach Wilson short pass complete to Elijah Moore
    • (2) Zach Wilson medium pass complete to Chris Herndon
    • (3) La’Mical Perine short run up the middle
    • (3) Zach Wilson pass incomplete for Braxton Berrios (near interception)
    • (3) Zach Wilson short pass incomplete for Ryan Griffin (defensive offsides)
    • (3) Zach Wilson medium pass complete to Braxton Berrios for first down
    • (3) Ty Johnson run up the middle
    • (3) Zach Wilson deep pass dropped by Braxton Berrios
    • (3) Zach Wilson medium pass incomplete for Braxton Berrios

The comments about PRs is interesting because elsewhere I've seen that Keelen Cole, Matt Cole and 1-2 others were involved with Berrios and Moore in PR practice, but no mention of Carter. I just hope it's almost anyone other than Berrios. I'm sick of all the fair catches.

REVISion, LAJet and Noam like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.