Wayne Chrebet talks about career

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, Jun 7, 2021.

1. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

^^^^I remember that game! I was sitting in my bedroom munching on the meatloaf meal from Boston Market while I was watching it! It was a 4 pm start time on CBS from down in Tampa, if I recall correctly. I remember after the game Al Groh all fired up during the post game interview as he was walking off the field, talking about how "a bunch of flashlights all working together can get the job done!" in response to Keyshawn's trash talk about how Chrebet was just a flashlight and he (Keyshawn) was a bright shining superstar. As I recall, Keyshawn also mocked Chrebet and called him a "mascot" or something to that affect. What was Keyshawn's beef with Wayne anyway? Why all the hate?!

anyway, at that point, after that comeback win to go 4-0, I really thought it was going to be a special year for the Jets....:( we started the damn season 6-1!! ...and then...well...Jets fall down, go boom (yet again)....:(:(:(

#21 patleahy, Jun 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  2. patleahy

Great post @DefenseWinsChampionships Great recall as well!!! ;):)

3. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Cotchery wasn’t elite or anything but he could play outside too, Crowder can’t. Def one of my favorite and most under appreciated Jets

4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Chrebet Crunch.

[​IMG]

Kind of uncanny.

5. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Modell's actually sold "Green Flashlight" Jets T Shirts that week. I bought one. May have it stashed away somewhere. Gotta look....

6. patleahy

haha I didn't know that, @LogeSection2RowJ

7. jetophile

When Chrebet was a rookie he was doing an autograph signing at my local H.S. I sadly didn't make it, it would've been cool to have. I did get Adrian Murrell's in front of my local Shoprite, though. I was about to go into the store and he was sitting at a table out front, and I went, wait, what?

patleahy likes this.
  8. patleahy

lol u crack me up @jetophile

9. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

He called Wayne a “flashlight”. I’ll always remember that one. Fuck you Keyshawn.

RPOZ51 likes this.
  10. jetophile

The NY media was really hyping that matchup because of it. When the Jets won The New York Post and The NY Daily News had some pretty fun back pages.

Jets81 likes this.
  11. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Wayne is the reason I'm a Jets fan.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Chrebet was 5'8 1/2" 180 and 4.65 and still one of the best 3rd down receivers when he was playing. For the first couple of years you could say that he snuck up on people but the last 8 years of his career they knew what he brought to the table and they still couldn't cover him on 3rd down.

The thing that tells you exactly how good he was was Keyshawn's reaction to him. Only a real rival would have gotten him as hot as Chrebet did.

I remember the Tampa game in 2000 when Chrebet got behind two defenders in the endzone and made a great catch for the game-winning TD. The cameras cut to Keyshawn on the TB sideline and you could lip-read his "I told them not to let him get behind them!"