Who was the Worst Coach in NY Jets history?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by patleahy, May 20, 2021.

?

Worst coach in Jets history

1. Richie Kotite

20 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Adam Gase

30 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

He was neither of those things. I think everyone else explained him pretty well. He was lazy as f*ck & never even tried.

The article about him being a lazy ass did not help matters of course & neither did the team's performance on the field. He was sleep-walking through 2 years and that is exactly how the team played.

2. major33

hahahaha Perfect description of Kotite. The neighborhood "galoot." That is so NY. lololol

Kotite looks like the type of guy who would work behind the counter at your supermarket or local deli. You know, the one who pops out of the back with blood and guts on his white apron.

NCJetsfan and patleahy like this.
  3. major33

Yes, I remember Jimmy being burnt out after the Cowboys job since it didn't end well with Jerry. That's when he went back to the Keys, soaked up the sun & did a bit of TV biding his time until the Dolphin's job would open up. I think once he went down to the Keys he lost that coaching edge. Became too laid back with the Dolphins.

mrjet80 likes this.
  4. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

Why is Lou Holtz not on the list the guy didn't even last a full season he quit.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Adam Gase sighting:

6. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

Gase winning is recency bias. Kotite was objectively the worst.

NYJFan10 and patleahy like this.
  7. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Fifth worst lol…what a list that would be

1. Kotite
    2. Holtz
    3. Gase
    4. Bowles
    5. You almost have to say Coslet just because Joe Walton managed to have a couple of double digit win seasons but darn it I still think he was a worse coach than Coslet if you gave me truth serum

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  8. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

9. DefenseWinsChampionships

Gase was the worst and not because of his losing record but because his players hated him. Jamal Adams couldn't stomach him and heck C.J Mosley refused to play for him. He was just awful with his players, couldn't bond with any of them and decided to force feed an old 40 year old RB in Frank Gore while making our younger RB talents sit and watch from the sidelines. And I believe Adam Gase mentally fkd Chris Herndon Jr.

I can not think of one single Jets player who had an awesome relationship with Gase (outside of Frank Gore) and for that reason alone, he's my #1 hated Jets coach of All-time.

He should've been drug tested immediately following his 1st ever Jets presser too.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The difference between Kotite and Gase is that Gase actively undermined his players by insisting on installing and keeping a system despite the fact that it didn't make his players better. He stubbornly refused to change things to match his player's strengths, and in the case of Darnold actually was the opposite of what Sam was good at. Kotite was simply burned out and didn't try. By any measure, Gase is the absolute opposite of what a good coach is.

11. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the top 3 have ti be bellichick, gase, and kotite. hard to say what order

12. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

glad so many guys have voted and responded within the thread.

Holtz 3-10 .231 winning %

Gase 9-23 .281 winning %

Kotite 4-28 .125 winning %

Personally, my vote went to Kotite. I think Gase is "winning" this poll due to recency bias as another poster suggested. They were both abominations, but hell Gas actually won more than twice as many games as Kotite did AND those teams Richie coached actually HAD talent!! He has to be numero uno in this poll, lol.

#132 patleahy, Jun 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  13. GasedAndConfused

billichick should be up there too. he's in the top 3 ahead oh holtz. he was the coach for 1 day, fucked over the whole franchise and went to a division rival to stomp us out for 20 years straight and win 6 Sbs with them

patleahy likes this.
  14. patleahy

GAC I definitely feel your Belichick-fueled RAGE...trust me I do...but I think it is kind of disingenuous to include Belichick on any list since he never actually coached the Jets. Yeah, I know that goes to your point how he screwed the team over by resigning after one day, but still....plus, as much as I detest Belichick, you can definitely make the case that he made the RIGHT decision. He didn't want to be under Parcells thumb, the entire situation with the Jets ownership and front office was up in the air AND he had already established a solid working relationship with Kraft.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

there are other ways to go about things. he was a dick who screwed over the franchise. he did more damage in 1 day as head coach to the jets then kotite and gase did in all their years combined. I mean we are season 1 away from gase and not bad off at all. what bellichick did to us set us back so far and for so many years

patleahy likes this.
  16. patleahy

LOL okay GAC...I see your point. ;)

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  17. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Wow, a calculator would have been your friend. Holtz's winning percentage is actually .231 (3/13), and Kotite's is .125 (4/32). That is why it's Kotite by a wide margin - he didn't only have the worst season ever (1-15), he had the third-worst season ever also (3-13). Gase was a bad coach, but he led the team to a 7-9 record in one of his two seasons, something his haters conveniently ignore.

18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

well all of those guys are/were phenomenal … I’m biased towards Peart as I am a HUGE Rush fan, but Bonham, Moon, Bruford, Palmer….throw in Phil Collins, Steve Smith, and Ian Paice too…amazing drummers all.

don’t know how this post got in here but I can talk drums ALL day!

19. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Kotite may have been worse from what I hear but I didn't see it with my own eyes so I voted Gase

20. patleahy

@statjeff22 Whoops, sorry for the faulty info, guys. I was on my landline talking with a former law school classmate while making that post, so I decided to be lazy and simply copied and pasted each coach's record and winning percentage from Tim Masterson's SPC blog without checking or verifying the info. Pursuant to your response, Jeff, I have edited and corrected the information. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Sorry, guys.

#140 patleahy, Jun 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2021