Jets and Crowder negotiations

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Jun 4, 2021.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Can someone just please re-sign Curtis Conway.

2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Sometimes better just reading what is typed tbh :rolleyes:

He is faster and will be doing things behind the line of scrimmage as well, if that gets him to Canton then great.

3. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

You made me vomit in my mouth a little bit

4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I guess I should have said Alex Van Dyke. My apologies.

JackBower likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we can trade for justin mccariens

Jets79 likes this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...-50percent-pay-cut/ar-AAKZPNg?ocid=uxbndlbing

It seems JD wants Crowder to take a minimum 50% pay cut this season. He was due 10 million. This is tough on Crowder because at this point most teams are capped out so if Crowder is released he wont have many options, and would likely have to take a pay cut to go somewhere.

We got both Moore and Berrios getting raves in OTA and have Cole at 5.5 million, so Crowder is being viewed as expendable.

Trying to save 5 or 10 million is great but hard balling a guy who has been one of the few bright spots the last few seasons wont go unnoticed in the locker room. Not sure were going the right route here.

7. K'OB

8. DefenseWinsChampionships

[​IMG]

Getting rid of Jamison Crowder would be, imo; quitting on the 2021 season (before it's even ever started).

Yes. I love the potential of unproven receiving talents in Denzel Mims and Elijah Moore but Jamison Crowder is an awesome player, an electric talent, a proven NFL WR; and without question an NFL top 3 slot receiver.

Throughout 2019/2020 (combined) and despite playing under an awful Adam Gase's (offensive) scheme while alongside of two trash QB's in Sam/Flacco as well as washed up RBs in Bell/Gore not to mention being surrounded by a bust WR in Perriman (and other jags) etc, etc...

He's still been able to record and put up 137 Receptions for 1,532 Receiving yards along with 12 TD Receptions and a 64.9% catch rate throughout his first two years as a JET.

He's also only 27 years of age; and I can not imagine what type of statistical numbers of production he'd be able to put up and record once he's within a competent offense (under Mike LaFleur).

And I'm sorry but when 4 wide a WR core of Corey Davis and Denzel Mims on the outside along with both Elijah Moore and Jamison Crowder working the slot(s) is A+ electric (and no, Keelan Cole can not hold nor even wash Jamison Crowder's jockstrap).

And injuries unfortunately, happen. And if anything were to happen to one of either Corey Davis, Denzel Mims and/or Elijah Moore (after throwing Crowder away)? It's going to become Zach Wilson who could only dream of still having Jamison Crowder while having to suffer because of it.

To get rid of that?

Over a savings of $5M-$10M?

Once Free Agency and the offseason is pretty much already done and over with?

Would become absolutely CRIMINAL on JD's behalf and just as guilty as stripping Sam Darnold of Robby Anderson was (@ the time).

ouchy likes this.
  9. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

JD works for the NYJ, not Crowder.

The NFL is a salary cap league and tough choices must be made.

If we signed Morgan Moses for 1 yr at $5mm adding quality depth at OT, would you feel better about the hit Crowder takes?

If we sign MM for 3yrs at $20mm adding long term depth at OT would you feel better about releasing Crowder?

LAJet likes this.
  10. K'OB

One injury to a WR would maybe make you change your mind, see Mims hamstrings for example.

You can go from strength to short handed in quick order.

11. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Trumaine Johnson counts $8mn against the cap next season. I’m OK with paying Crowder more than a washed-up CB that’s not even on the team.

12. DefenseWinsChampionships

Corey Davis.
    Denzel Mims.
    Elijah Moore.
    Jamison Crowder.
    Keelan Cole.

= Awesome.

Corey Davis.
    Denzel Mims.
    Elijah Moore.
    Keelan Cole.
    Braxton Berrios.

= Meh (once an injury happens)

Having Jamison Crowder on this roster makes all the difference in the world in regards to our WR core.

Zach Wilson deserves better than to be stripped of WR weapons heading into 2021.

Let Jamison Crowder walk at the end of the year and replace him with either a 1st or 2nd round WR (Zach Wilson deserves it).

Bellys Lies likes this.
  13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The first group is not awesome and the second group is not meh.

The reason you let Crowder go if he won't take a paycut is that he is not worth anything close to the $10.5M he is due to get paid this year. The secondary reason is that you do not want him taking any snaps from Moore.

In 3 WR sets you want Davis, Mims and Moore on the field. Those are the guys Zach Wilson needs to grow with. If Crowder was clearly a big plus player, well then there's an argument for keeping him for a season or two but he's not that kind of player. He's a decent slot WR who can really thrive if he is surrounded by a lot of talent outside.

Moore on the other hand is the guy you hope will make the outside WR's better by commanding real attention in the slot.

14. DefenseWinsChampionships

I disagree.

He's only 27 years of age and throughout the previous two years he's recorded...

137 Receptions for 1,532 Receiving yards along with 12 TD Receptions and a 64.9% catch rate (despite Adam Gase/Sam Darnold/Joe Flacco).

Jets going 4 wide with two physical 6'3 WRs in Corey Davis/Denzel Mims along with two smaller/quicker receivers in Elijah Moore and Jamison Crowder working the slot(s) is absolutely, awesome (imo).

I freaking love Elijah Moore. Even created a thread about him back in December of 2020 as my favorite NCAA WR; but let's let the kid first make an NFL impact before throwing Jamison Crowder away as if he's chop liver.

Jamison Crowder (for 2021) is absolutely worth $10M if it means being a Veteran leader for Elijah Moore @ slot receiver, being able to give us another weapon if anything happens to Davis/Mims/Elijah, giving us a top tier WR unit when going 4 wide (Davis/Mims/Elijah/Crowder) and more importantly; Zach Wilson.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the value and importance of Jamison Crowder (heading into 2021).

#54 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    BleedingGreen55 and Bellys Lies like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I think this is a ridiculous take! I like Crowder as much or more than anyone here, but I can totally understand if the Jets decided to move on from him.

My reasons for keeping him are that he has been a great Jet, has been VERY reliable and good for the Jets (has actually been our best WR over the last couple of years), would be a reliable target for Zach, would be insurance against injury, Moore and Cole (and perhaps Mims, especially with regards to route running) can learn from him, and he's a Duke alumni (and I've been a fan of his since he was at Duke). The reasons not to keep him are he's being overpaid, his contract is using cap space that could be used to sign Moses, a FA CB (Sherman or Nelson) or re-sign Davis or Cole next season, overpaying a slot WR (especially if he winds up backing up Moore) which would wind up messing up the team salary structure, and he would be taking snaps away from Moore, Cole and Berrios if the Jets are very happy with those three. They don't even need 3 slot WRs, much less 4. Granted Moore has great positional flexibility, Cole has some positional flexibility, but the other two do not (Crowder and Berrios). In a way, it would be a luxury to keep all 4 of those.

I will be fine if they keep him, but I also wouldn't be upset if they trade him. I'd rather they not just release him. He has worth and they should be able to get something for him.

Your disdain for Cole is ridiculous as well. He is a VERY good WR. Berrios has been steadily improving and has looked great in OTAs so far, although it does concern me that he still drops catchable balls (but Mims has as well, and I'm not ready to move on from him).

Does Crowder make the team and WR corps better and deeper? Yes, undoubtedly. Can LaFleur put Crowder to good use? Again, yes undoubtedly. Does trading or releasing him make our WR corps go from Awesome to Meh? Absolutely not. With all due respect, that's a laughable conclusion.

#55 NCJetsfan, Jun 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    PJ4Ever likes this.
  16. DefenseWinsChampionships

"A laughable conclusion".

Reading comprehension issue, NC?

I clearly stated that an injury to one of either Corey Davis, Denzel Mims, Elijah Moore and/or Keelan Cole would be a "meh" group (after letting go of Crowder).

And no.

I don't want to release or get rid of Jamison Crowder in order to "extend Keelan Cole for next year" because that's an even more laughable conclusion.

PS: Keelan Cole (28) is OLDER than Jamison Crowder (27).

Keelan Cole (4 years in the NFL).

159 receptions, 2,242 receiving yards and 12 TD receptions (57.6% catch rate).

vs.

Jamison Crowder (previous 4 years).

232 receptions, 2,709 receiving yards and 17 TD receptions (63.9% catch rate).

I'm sorry NC, but I'm not going out of my way to get rid of Jamison Crowder for a lesser player in Cole; not with Zach Wilson on the line I'm not.

You know what's even more of a "laughable conclusion"?

The fact that you're pretending JD must move Crowder's contract in order to make room for Moses (OT) or a CB (Sherman or Nelson) because our Jets have the 3rd most available salary cap space for 2021 with over $27,000,000 in available salary cap space!

Another laughable conclusion is acting like we'll need to remove Crowder in order to extend Davis next year? Come 2022 we'll rank #3 in available salary cap space @ over $71,000,000 in available salary cap space.

PS: It's disrespectful to talk football to me with nasty and sarcastic remarks such as "this is a ridiculous take" and/or "laughable conclusion" all because you disagreed (while miss quoting me, @ that).

We're currently #3 in offseason available salary cap space and projected to have over $71M come 2022 next year (only behind Steelers/Colts) but yet some of you guys are in favor of throwing away a top 1-3 NFL slot receiver in Jamison Crowder for "cap space"? That to me is both ridiculous and laughable.

N.E used to have both Welker and Edelman on the same roster (for many of years) so this whole Crowder taking away snaps from Elijah is horse crap.

17. DefenseWinsChampionships

Ok I'll admit. I was extreme when stating we'd be quitting on the season before it even ever started (if throwing away Jamison Crowder).

I just remember with Sanchez after we lost both of Braylon Edwards and Jerricho Cotchery heading into 2011 (after 2010's AFCCG) and that was the end of Mark Sanchez as a QB.

And with Zach Wilson? I just want this kid to be provided with as many Offensive pass catching weapons as possible during his Rookie season.

I do not want him to lose Jamison Crowder!

I couldn't care less which WRs lose snaps out of Davis/Mims/Elijah/Crowder because all that matters to me, is Zach Wilson.

And as much as I've raved about and already love Elijah Moore? It'll be a great opportunity for him (as only a Rookie) to learn and develop alongside of Jamison Crowder; who's without question a top 1-3 NFL slot receiver.

And I also can't imagine how unstoppable Jamison Crowder could become with an aggressive A+ strong armed Zach Wilson while being surrounded by real talents in Corey Davis, Denzel Mims, Elijah Moore and an HB who can catch out of the backfield in Michael Carter.

When going 4 wide with Corey Davis, Denzel Mims and Elijah Moore I believe Jamison Crowder can become our X-Factor because I'm sorry but can't no DIME CB contain Jamison Crowder.

In closing. Elijah Moore lined up in the backfield a lot @ Ole Miss and I'm excited to see all 3 of Mims and Davis on the outside, Crowder doing his thing @ slot with Elijah Moore exploding as a pass catcher coming out of the backfield in shotgun formation while exposing MLBs in pass coverage.

Please JD. Bring back Jamison Crowder and Zach Wilson will thnx you later.

18. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

We do not know how good that Mims and Moore can be in the NFL. We believe they can be good however, Crowder has done it. We have the cap money, Pay the man. He could become Wilsons safety net. Any contract we sign him to will not hurt our future much. We need as many weapons as possible for Wilson

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I wish we stop saying we have the cap money so pay the man, like that has no impact. It’s not as simple as that. JD is trying to balance the entire roster for the present and the long term. Crowder was a ray of sunshine for us and he can still be very effective, but the fact remains it will not be the primary go to guy with Moore there. I think 6-7 mil should be the cap. We need help in many areas and JD need the flexibility money wise to grab more talent particularly if injuries occur before the start of the season. OL, Maye extension and secondary help is still soft and need some attention too.

NCJetsfan and patleahy like this.
  20. DefenseWinsChampionships

I couldn't disagree more.

I'm high on both Mins and Elijah but reality is that Mims as a rookie only had 23 catches with 0 TDs (if he doesn't seriously emerge this year JD could already be looking to replace him with a 1st Round WR 2022) and Elijah Moore is a soon to be Rookie who's never caught a single NFL pass.

And Cole? lol he's 1 year older than Jamison Crowder but yet can't wash his jockstrap in terms of NFL production.

And I couldn't care less about Braxton Berrios hype of OTA's because he's a 3rd year player with a career 43 catches for only 3 TDs as a former 6th round pick.

And finally. Zach Wilson is a Rookie QB who could really benefit from having a veteran receiver in Jamison Crowder who's not only got 6 years of experience under his belt but also considered a top 1-3 NFL slot receiver. And he's only 27 years of age as well.

I'm not sure how Jets fans are overlooking and acting as if Jamison's 137 Receptions for 1,532 Receiving yards and 12 TD catches with a 64.9% catch rate throughout his previous two years as a JET (despite Adam Gase/Sam/Flacco) can be easily replaced (for the life of me).

And let's just say after throwing away Crowder that it's Denzel Mims who gets injured for 5-8 weeks while Corey Davis misses 1-2 games as well; I'd rather not trot out...

Elijah Moore.
    Keelan Cole.
    Braxton Berrios.
    Vyncint Smith.
    Lawrence Cager.

As Zach Wilson's top 5 WRs (while Davis/Mims are nursing injuries).

I'm sorry but injuries happen in Football especially to WRs (just ask NYJ fans) and you guys are severely underrating Jamison Crowder's ability, potential (in a real offense), value, worth and importance for a rookie QB in Zach Wilson.

joelip likes this.