Are the Buffalo Bills really as good as everyone thinks they are before heading into 2021?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 10, 2021.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

They took advantage of a Tom Bradyless AFC East (big deal); all while Brady went onto win his 7th Super Bowl (with Tampa Bay this time).

They went 13-3 (with pretty much no fans in the stands and no QB pressure).

2 wins against our hopeless 2-14 Jets.

2 wins against the struggling 7-9 Patriots.

1 win against the 5-11 Broncos.

1 win against the depleted 6-10 49ers.

1 win against the 7-9 Chargers.

1 win vs. the 8-8 Raiders.

That right there alone is 8 wins against .500 and below losing Football teams.

Which means they beat 5 winning teams during the regular season;

2 wins vs. the 10-6 Dolphin's.
    1 win against the 10-6 Rams.
    1 win against the 12-4 Seahawks.
    1 win against the 12-4 Steelers.

Who did they lose to?

1 loss to the 8-8 Cardinals.
    1 loss to the 11-5 Titans (42-16).
    1 loss to the 14-2 Chiefs (26-17).

PLAYOFFS:
    Win vs. 11-5 Colts (27-24).
    Win vs. 11-5 Ravens (17-3).
    Loss vs. the 14-2 Chiefs (38-24). Thnx God.

All in all they played 5 teams in the regular season last year who ended up making the playoffs (Chiefs / Titans / Rams / Seahawks / Steelers).

And during their Playoff loss against K.C Josh Allen played pretty bad taking 4 sacks and only completing 58.3% of his passes (28/48) with a QB Rating of only 80.8.

2021: Outside of the AFC East.

Jaguars: 1-15.
    Houston: 4-12.
    Falcons: 4-12.
    Panther: 5-11.
    Redskins: 7-9.

Buccaneers (11-5).
    Titans (11-5).
    Colts (11-5).
    Steelers (12-4).
    Saints (12-4).
    Chiefs (14-2).

Thoughts?

Is it just me, am I the only Jets fan who doesn't fear this Josh Allen led Buffalo team as much as I always feared Jim Kelly's Bills and Dan Marino's Dolphins throughout the 90s followed by Tom Brady's Patriots throughout the 2000's?

And/or am I the only one who feels this Josh Allen led Buffalo team will come back crashing down to earth with fans back in the stands come 2021?

If they can repeat their 13-3 season from last year, yes; I'll always and forever respect/fear them moving forward but as of right now, I don't know what to think of them?

Thoughts?

Do you see them SWEEPING the AFC East again (x2) with back to back sweeps of 6-0?

TGG. Please. I need your thoughts and insight on this one...

2. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Got a 3 year head start on us at QB

#2 matt robinson 17, Jun 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    nycarl and FJF like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Lets see:

The Bills won't sweep the AFC East again, thats very unlikely. Even when NE was running through this division for 20 years they rarely swept the division.

-We will give them 2 losses in the division, more close to the reality/ everyone else in the division got better.
    -A split with the list of 6 teams on their schedule with winning records. (all 11-5 and up, thats tough). Up to 5 losses.
    -Maybe they drop a game they shouldn't (now that the road games will be tougher) or one of the teams in the below .500 record outside of the division has a better year than expected.

Bills = 11-6 with the AFCE coming down to the final weeks
    --

Also I know they were incredibly fortunate with a lack of injuries last year. Lightning like that doesn't strike twice. They will have to contend with some injuries the year which could change everything

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

They went 13-3 last year, would've been 14-2 without the hail mary loss in Arizona. And did it with a second place schedule. They might drop off a bit, but they're the best team in the division until someone knocks them off.

5. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

They have a hard core fanbase that provides them with a great homefield advantage. They will be a lot tougher to beat in Orchard Park with fans coming back.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  6. DefenseWinsChampionships

True, true.

I just believe that by having no fans in the stadium made it a lot easier for QBs (specifically Josh Allen) to communicate with their Offensive players with no noise last year and no distractions.

Fans definitely make a difference and I'm looking forward to Josh Allen struggling on the road this year.

7. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I don't know if it will affect that much. His first two years in the league he played in front of fans. Last year he had a breakout year. He is now going into his 4th year and its the same offense with the same OC. The Bills have done a really good job building the team around him. They have basically done everything I wanted the Jets to do for Darnold and now want them to do for Wilson. I think Allen with 3 years of experience ( and its winning experience) will continue to improve as a QB. You can tell he has the "it" factor. We are going to need Wilson to show the same thing and for the Jets to build the team around him. If that happens then I could see the Jets-Bills rivalry heating up as they fight for the division and possibly meet in the playoffs.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Good analysis. The Bills had everything go the right way. They played reeling teams at the right time and punched some dead in the water teams in the mouth down the stretch that didn't have enough to play for to battle back (Broncos, 49ers, Patriots, Steelers, etc.).

They also geared their draft solely towards beating the Chiefs as did the Colts in upgrading the pass rush. Except the Colts already have a dominant offensive line so they could afford that luxury. The Bills running game was atrocious last year and they're rolling with the same starting five while only adding a 3rd/5th round rookie. Those boys can't run block worth dick.

I like Gabriel Davis but they let John Brown (albeit hurt most of last year) go for Emmanuel Sanders in a downgrade, Beasley is a year older, bad runningback room remains the same + Breida, and no added weapon at tightend. They basically stood pat on defense.

9. DefenseWinsChampionships

I just realized, but Buffalo is in serious salary cap hell heading into next off-season...

Heading into next years Free Agency class of 2022 JD has positioned us to rank 3rd in available salary cap space (only behind Pittsburgh and Indianapolis) with a whooping $71,650,848 to spend on a potentially LOADED FA class

(in comparison to Buffalo lol who's only projected to have a pathetic $1,054,831in available salary cap space; despite still needing to extend and pay Josh Allen, long term).

Buffalo could fall off a cliff come next years 2022 season.

10. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

The Bills had fans in the stands for both of their home playoff games and it made no difference.

11. DefenseWinsChampionships

Those were home games. In Buffalo.

I want to see Josh Allen play on the road with fans in the stands instead of quietness.

@ KC with crowd noise he looked overwhelmed. His accuracy and completion percentage of only 58.3% was pretty bad. And throwing the ball 48 times for only 287 yards was awful. Only 5.9 yards per pass attempt? That's mediocre.

2020* was a tainted NFL season due to no fans and ghost town empty stadiums.

12. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

Lol and when he does that, you’ll have something else he needs to prove to you. Round and round you go. Listen, I’m sorry Sam didn’t work out, but open up your eyes and be objective.

13. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I think it was just KC was the better team that day.The crowd wasn't a factor. It was only what 20-25,000 or something like that. Allen is legit. Lets hope Wilson is as well

14. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

They are a good team that should be in the playoff spot(s) mix.
    No, I don't see another AFC Eesweep.

I don't read any preseason rankings. So I don't know how good other people think they are in general.

I try to keep abreast of the main additions and subtractions of personnel thru the NFL.

15. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'm already loving the fact how they're in absolute salary cap hell come next offseason.

While we'll have $70M+ Buffalo will only have $1M lol and still have yet to sign Josh Allen (long term).

They're fkd moving forward.

16. BuffaloBills06

BuffaloBills06 Active Member

You need to slow down bro…..you got some false info. We’re not even close to being in cap hell. In 2023 a lot of those contracts expire. We’ll have over $100 million in projected cap space in 2023 with our main core of guys already under contract. The Bills will be a contender for awhile.

17. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member