Jets and Crowder negotiations

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Jun 4, 2021.

1. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

There’s no point having a crowded slot WR room but I do feel for Crowder as he seems to be a reliable, good character guy.

When we’ve historically had some assholes rewarded with a bigger contract [insert picture of Santonio with a champagne bottle here] it’s a shame we’re probably cutting someone loose who, at times, was the only competent player on the field.

2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I'd prefer if we kept Crowder. Give the rookie QB as many reliable options as possible.

The Jets have some leverage here because Crowder is likely making significantly more with us than he would be with another team. We're playing hardball with him which I don't think is completely necessary but I see the front office's perspective.

3. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

@ConcordeChops excellent points, ConcordeChops. Even if you can understand it, sometimes the "business" side of things does suck. I always thought Crowder was a good dude and a contributor on the field, even when basically nobody else on offense seemed to be doing a damn thing.

4. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

It would be stupid to let a solid vet WR walk while starting a rookie QB....

apjbfc, Jets79, Leicester Jet and 6 others like this.
  5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Moore and Mims are unproven and Davis could be breaking out. While there is potential for all three, they're not established enough to make Crowder expendable. And there's no harm having as many weapons as possible for a rookie QB.

Jets79, joelip, stinkyB and 4 others like this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Who signed Crowder?

Where are most of the other guys he signed?

80% chance Crowder is not on the Jets roster on August 1st. If he takes a 50% paycut his odds go up.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

In general, I agree. IMO in this instance, it depends upon why Douglas wants to cut Crowder's salary. Is it just a general thing with him that $10 million is more than Crowder is worth? Is it because he sees Moore supplanting Crowder as the starter, and $10m per is too much to pay a backup slot WR? If it's either of those, while I can understand and agree with his motivation, and hope that he would not overpay like that, I think it would be a mistake this year to let him go when they're trying to help Zach succeed and develop. If his motivation is wanting more cap space so he can sign Moses and either Nelson or Sherman, then I'd have much less problems with it. I'd rather keep Crowder and sign Moses and let the D go as is this season than overpay Nelson or Sherman.

8. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

@NCJetsfan per usual, solid, thoughtful analysis covering all the likely angles from JD's perspective. ;)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This is so dumb.

Would we cut Chrebet to save a few $ if we drafted ArDarius Stewart?

Cut CM to save a few $ if we drafted Perine?

Cut Revis if we drafted Dee Milliner?

When we drafted Elijah Moore we HOPE some day he gets as good as Jamison Crowder.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Agreed. But even if Moore is as good as Jamison Crowder there's nothing wrong with having 2 decent slot receivers. Actually its pretty standard for winning organizations.

Its not like the Jets dont have any cap room. Just pay the man what he wants and lets try to win some games for once

11. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Maybe Joe Douglas can turn it into an extension of maybe 2 years, $12 million. So Crowder takes a $4 million cut this year, but has an opportunity to end up with $2 million more if he makes the team in 2022. Seems fair.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

The point is good but none of the above examples were ever thought of as better than the originals.

The difference between Moore and the busts listed is he has things in his locker that Crowder hasn't got, anyway I am in the keep Crowder for the season club regardless, if he signs for cheaper then good but I'd have just paid him his money rather than risk some acrimony, it is all about giving Wilson the best chance to succeed at the end of the day.

13. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I think you have it backwards...
    Cut Ardarius cause we drafted Chrebet....yes Chrebet has more potential

Cut Perine cause we drafted Curtis....yes Curtis has more potential

Cut Dee Milliner cause we drafted Revis....yes Revis has more potential

Cut Crowder cause we drafted Moore....yes Moore has more potential.
    Just hoping Moore will be as good as Crowder is a waist of a Draft pick. I am sure
    Their hope is Moore will far exceed Crowder potential.
    Crowder is good but Moore will be better....I'm sure of it!
    I like Crowder but don't think he's worth 10-11 mil.
    Best case scenario. ..keep Crowder & pay him 5-6 mil.

#33 BudJet, Jun 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  14. Footballgod214

I agree Moore looks good, but Crowder has something Moore doesn't. ie, Crowder is the top rated slot WR in the league. Moore is yet to catch his first NFL pass. Lets not put Moore in Canton just yet!

BleedingGreen55, Jets79 and Ralebird like this.
  15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I don't think ANYONE is arguing the higher ceiling of the young guys, but how long do WRs usually take to develop?
    How many times can the JETS fuck up the rookie QB project? Keep the guy who's an established route runner as a security blanket for the kid.

BleedingGreen55, joelip and cval like this.
  16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I really hate this saying as a reply to somebody.

Nothing I said indicated that was my meaning, absolutely nothing.

I said he has things in his locker that Crowder doesn't and then said I hope we keep Crowder as well.

ukjetsfan and Footballgod214 like this.
  17. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

I think crowder will stay. Douglas just seems disciplined with the checkbook.

Keeping crowder's compensation in line with the demand for him is the smart move for the Jets long term even if it's unpleasant. Sets a precedent for others who may be overpaid with minimal leverage. Douglas didn't sign him originally and he is over paid for a slot guy with a lot of depth around him.

18. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'd like to see Crowder back, but I'd be surprised at this point. I know it's only OTAs, but Moore, Cole and Berrios have apparently looked quite good and the team seems high on them. Plus Davis and Mims, of course.

So excited to see a very legitimate looking group of receivers though!

LAJet likes this.
  19. Footballgod214

sometimes you have to read between the lines.....!

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I think the Jets are allowing for Crowell to test the market. They have established a lower price to retain his services, not what he was making by a long shot. If the market offers more than the Jets ceiling he is a goner. In all probability, however, he will end up signing a one year for 6M or so. I have a feeling that with May's situation open, they want to bring in a vet presence in the secondary.