Wayne Chrebet talks about career

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, Jun 7, 2021.

1. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Hell of a player. He had balls of steel.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Br4d, Savatage and ouchy like this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I think Wayne is paying for it post career. I've heard of a couple different stories from friends that they've met him and he just doesn't seem like he's all there which is too sad for a true warrior.

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

one too many concussions. I remember him taking the last one and just laying there still and starry eyed and it was heart breaking to see

patleahy likes this.
  4. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

@Jonathan_Vilma I don't doubt your word Vilma, but I really hope that's not true. :(

5. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

Dude went out concussed his last play... that arm thing KO'd people do.

it's sad af that he's paying the price now... him and Booby Jones were cool walk on guys... so easy to root for...

patleahy likes this.
  6. patleahy

AJW likes this.
  7. DefenseWinsChampionships

Loved him. One of my childhood favorites. Mr. 3rd down.

Chrebet can never be replaced he's forever legendary. I believe Elijah Moore is going to capture our NYJ hearts immediately; we've craved as a fan base a slot receiver who becomes a household name dating back to the days of #80 himself.

Thnx you for posting this video. Throwback childhood memories of just a kid in Queens talking about Chrebet with my older brother and listening to him read me statistics off the back of football cards before I knew about the internet. Chrebet is throwback to me.

AJW likes this.
  8. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I "won" Chrebet via a Tops Electronics MNF contest drawing. He and his dad came over to watch MNF for a couple hours. (I chose Wayne over Michael Strahan) Quiet unassuming guy. Would not even accept a carbonated soft drink. Water only. They listed him at 5'11" but he wasn't even that. Tough guy, great competitor. Our family had "Chrebet Mania" for his entire career. He's the reason I was able to convert my GF from the Giants to become a Jets fan.

It's sad that undersized players are just going to get concussed in the NFL. I worry about it with every undersized player the Jets draft, offense ot defense but especially WR's. The brain has no defense against the brutality - especially with the modern era's "enhanced" body types.

donkey likes this.
  9. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Chrebet is on my Mt. Rushmore of favorite Jet players. Just too easy not to be a fan of his. Even my buddies who are Patriot and Dolphin loyalists respected his toughness.

AJW likes this.
  10. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

He is my favorite Jets player of all time. I loved watching he and Curtis Martin.

AJW and patleahy like this.
  11. patleahy

Penny I am going to leave a voice mail for you today!!! ;)

PennyandtheJets likes this.
  12. Chrisiue

Chrisiue Well-Known Member

He proved his importance to have a player willing to go between the hash marks on 3rd down, he was a non stop hustle receiver, the jets had a similar player in Cotchery who was great for Sanchez, the two Bozos Rex and Tannenbaum decided to get rid of him and replace him with Derek Mason, real Einstein move.
    Hopefully Berrios can be the same type player.

13. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I was there for the last hit he took. It was awful. You knew it was bad. Really bad.

He's been talking about his post- concussion issues for quite a while now. Playing professional sports is an assumed risk, but the lying involved by the NFL is unconscionable (no pun intended). He has also said that he would do it all over again, probably because his brain is heading towards oatmeal.

Everyone always talks about cancer, because, well cancer; but losing one's sense of self almost surpasses it IMO. I don't mean the suffering involved, I mean the prevalence. That's without playing contact sports. There are a lot of horror stories out there, a lot of people in caregiver positions who shouldn't be with nowhere to go and no viable solutions with no hope for the afflicted.

I'm sure this is a somewhat radioactive thing to say, but I don't blame Robin Williams at all.

EDIT & P.S.: Just to clarify, I don't mean depression. Robin Williams finding out that he was going to degrade until he didn't know what his name was was the deciding factor.

#13 jetophile, Jun 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    Footballgod214 likes this.
  14. DefenseWinsChampionships

Can we really have a Wayne Chrebet Thread, without his highlights?

No. We can't.

Me being born in 1985 the likes of Don Maynard (way before my time), Toon and Walker were a little before my time so my household top 5 favorite Jets receivers of All-Time are...

1.) Wayne Chrebet.
    2.) Keyshawn Johnson.
    3.) Laveranues Coles.
    4.) Santana Moss.
    5.) Robby Anderson.

(Honorable mention goes to Jerricho Cotchery).

patleahy and matt robinson 17 like this.
  15. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

That Jets Tampa game where Keyshawn was talking smack about Chrebet for like the whole week. Then we scored like 15 points in 60 seconds with the game ending pass Curtis Martin to Chrebet. Woooo!!!

Good times.

16. DefenseWinsChampionships

Me and my older brother was @ that game! One of only 4 Jets games I've ever been to (4-0 too!) and that TB game was by far my most favorite of them all. I think it was in 2000 because my entire family moved from Queens to Florida towards the end of 98 and heading into 1999 (my Freshman year of H.S) and I remember feeling home sick at the time. My older brother shocked me with Jets tickets and while at the game I was homesick, no more. So many Jets fans in attendance our section was full of nothing but New Yorkers and before the game during tailgating we met up with an awesome family from Long Island who treated us like fam. So much fun. My only regret was not having more fun during the actual game because it felt like we were going to lose the entire time and the rain was annoying me as both me and my brother were looking miserable. But then the 4th Quarter happened. Specifically the final 5 minutes I've never forgotten that game we were down 17-6 and didn't get to celebrate a Jets TD all game! But then absolute MAGIC HAPPENED Broadway Vinny to #28 Curtis my favorite Martin on a screen pass that goes for a TD with under 2 minutes left. And then we got the two point conversion 17-14 TB. I was still frustrated I didn't think we'd ever get the ball back but then BANG! Marvin Jones caused the fumble can't remember who picked it up but with under 1:00 we had the ball in damn near red zone already and that's when both me and my big brother knew we were going to WIN! And then it happened. My two favorite players of All-time. Curtis Martin throws it to #80 Wayne Chrebet for the game winning TD with only a couple seconds left two TDs in under 2 minutes! 21-17 J-E-T-S Jets, Jets, Jets! And Keyshawn only had 1 catch for 1 yard after disrespecting Chrebet that was freaking poetic justice. Vinny T, Curtis Martin, Chrebet, Coles, Mawae, Becht, Ellis, Cox, Mo Lewis and Marvin Jones, Aaron Glenn, VICTOR GREEN, Ray Mickens, #94 J. Abe! man that team had a bunch of my childhood favorites and we were now 4-0?!? How did that team NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS (Plz, don't remind me).

Man do I wish I could rewind the clock back 21 years and Re-Live that TB game just one more time with Chrebet getting the last laugh

#16 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  17. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Cotchery was a great slot too…that Mason move was so dumb.

AJW likes this.
  18. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Berrios? The Jets drafted an elite slot receiver, but his name is Elijah Moore.

19. DefenseWinsChampionships

I wouldn't call him a great slot receiver but he did have great heart however during the Playoffs he only had 2 TD Receptions for us throughout his career (both games were loses) and during the regular season he never had anything more than 6 TDs.

I absolutely loved Jerricho one of my favorites but I believe Jamison Crowder is a better natural slot receiver than he was and Elijah Moore imo has 10x more talent/potential combined (I'm begging JD not to release Jamison Crowder).

But you're 100% correct. To get rid of Jerricho who was coming off back to back AFC Championship Game appearances with 28 games played for an absolutely washed up Mason was a horrific front office move. Unforgivable; because he went onto play for another 5 years with a combined 72 games played while only missing 8 games.

20. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Keymouth and Chrebet were a great tandem, but it was marred by professional jealousy. Chrebet always took the high road. Keymouth even called him the team's mascot, that's how bad it was publicly. Privately it was kind of sort of okay between them according to both of them, but Keymouth blamed the New York media when it was his fault for not shutting up. Double-edged sword, I guess.

I did laugh like Hell when Keymouth chased down Justin Bieber and tried to beat the shit out of him so I guess it all evens out in the end.