NYJ drafted us 3 of the most explosive (and productive) players coming out in Wilson/Elijah/Carter.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 8, 2021.

1. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'll address all 4 Offensive Rookies (separately) but I'd first just like to start off with Zach Wilson because how can our fan base not be A+ excited right now? I think we all are.

I'll try and keep this not too long but I'm not even an Islanders or big hockey fan right but as a kid those Mark Messier days, MSG days of the 90's etc so as an NY Knicks fan it was natural I just always rooted for NYR in the playoffs but yet here I am 36 in 2021 and this kid has me fired up to watch NY hockey right now and whoop Boston butt this Zach Wilson kid I tell you what. He even came out to one of our NY Knicks hone playoff games hah that was my favorite moment of that entire Hawks series was just seeing Zach on the jumbo screen and both Saleh and J.D going to different NY sporting events? on different nights? Man. Let me just stay on this Zach Wilson topic. I've never seen anything like this before. No like this.

Back to reality and seriousness.

Neither one of Ken O'Brien, Mark Sanchez and/or Sam Darnold (as 1st round picks) had ever ranked as highly amongst their NCAA peers quite like Zach Wilson just did (2020) as demonstrated above (OP) in terms of absolute statistical production before coming out of college and into the pro's.

The most recent Jets drafted 1st round QB who would compete with Zach's 2020 NCAA rankings was Chad Pennington while coming out of Marshall

(when he had a cannon for an arm to Randy Moss deep down the sidelines and before his future NFL shoulder surgeries with the Jets that stole his once greatness (imo our #24 Revis of the QB position robbed of what could've been).

(Disclaimer: Pennington had 3 really awesome years @ Marshall however for comparison purposes I'll only be using Penny's final season of 1999 (my Freshman year of High School) which just so happened to be his best NCAA season of them all (QB Rating wise).

Chad Pennington:
    (6'3 - 230 lbs).
    (Marshall).

• #1 in Completion Percentage @ 67.9%.

(and that's what the kid would one day go down as, as one of the most accurate QBs to have ever lived to play the game hurt or not accuracy was pinpoint).

• #1 in TDs thrown with 37.
    (the younger Pennington could sling the rock and toss TDs before the bad luck/NFL pounding).

• #2 with a QB Rating of 171.4.
    (kid was deadly man, a machine).

• #3 in Average yards per Pass attempt @ 9.4 Y/A
    (crazy to think about how strong his arm once was). {Mike Vick was #1}

• #4 in Passing Yards (3,799).
    (Drew Brees was #2).

• #59 in INTs thrown (11).
    (Mistakes happen).

Added Bonus: Only Zach Wilson compares to a younger Pennington coming out of school in regards to all of these top 5 rankings across the board and I think it's just exciting to know that we've finally drafted a QB as gifted and as smart as a once younger #10.

Chad Pennington was greatness and as Jets fans it's been so long we really forget how special that kid was injury and pre 2003 (Giants. Preseason).

(Wiki)

"After making only three appearances during his first two seasons, Chad emerged as the Jets' starting quarterback after filling in for Vinny Testaverde, during the fifth game of the 2002 season.

Pennington helped reverse the Jets' fortunes by leading the 1–4 team to an eventual 9–7 record and an AFC East division championship.

Despite starting less than a full season, Pennington threw for 3,120 yards with 22 touchdowns and six interceptions. His 104.2 quarterback rating set a team record.

In the Wild Card game, Pennington threw for a 142 QB rating, leading the Jets over Peyton Manning and the number four passing offense of the Indianapolis Colts, by a score of 41–0"

(End/Wiki).

Could've been more Pennington vs. Brady than Brady vs. Manning.

Then came 2003 (wrist was never the same) and 2004 (torn rotator cuff, shoulder never the same); and that was that.

Why am I taking about Chad Pennington?

It's because I see so much of him in Zach Wilson. Like a reincarnated version before the Jets injuries. And this time he's coming back to make it right (thru Zach Wilson).

Karma in a good way.

Both have blondish hair ✓.
    Zach = 4 letters. ✓
    Chad = 4 letters. ✓
    Both demonstrated awesome NCAA ability.✓
    Both have had wrist surgery ✓
    Both have had multiple shoulder surgeries ✓

The good news?

Zach's arm is Patrick Mahomes like right now healthy and strong right now but what if unlike Pennington, the likes of Mekhi Becton and Vera-Tucker keep Zach upright and healthy? and he never has to go thru what Penny went through?

Sky is the limit for this kid.

Remember Pennington to Santana Moss?

Welcome Wilson to Elijah Moore?!?

I wanted Trevor Lawrence throughout all of 2020 but ever since draft night? Once I seen this kid walking down stage with all of energy fire and excitement? Knicks and Islanders games? Nope. I'm not trading him not even for Lawrence straight up I'm not. This kid is special.

(Hope you guys enjoyed my Zach Wilson segment featuring, Chad Pennington's bio).

JohnnyJet1222 and Footballgod214 like this.
  2. DefenseWinsChampionships

I mean. It's hard to find lowlights in our trio of Offensive Rookies @ QB/WR/RB when these kids all ranked top 1-5 at their respected positions. Same goes for Vera-Tucker @ LG who ranked #1 against all interior O-Lineman.

Zach Wilson;
    #2 with a QB Rating of 196.4 (only behind Mac Jones).

• #2 in Completion Percentage @ 73.5% (only behind Mac Jones).

• #3 in Passing Yards with 3,692 (only behind Mac Jones and Kyle Trask).

• #3 in TDs thrown with 33 (only behind Kyle Trask and Mac Jones).

• Added Bonus: Only 3 INTs thrown (the fewest of any QB drafted).

Elijah Moore;
    #2 in Receptions with 86 catches (only behind DeVonta Smith).

• #2 in Receiving Yards with 1,193 (only behind DeVonta Smith).

• #3 in terms of longest play of the year (91 yards).

• Added Bonus: Top 20 in TD Receptions with 8 TD Receptions (despite only playing 8 games).

Michael Carter
    #4 in Rushing Yards with 1,245 (only behind Breece Hall, Sincere McCormick and Najee Harris).

• #13 in All-Purpose Yards from Scrimmage (267 receiving yards).

• Added Bonus: His 8.0 yards per rush attempt ranked #1 within the entire Country (for RBs with at least 100+ carries).

I mean. Be real. What kind of lowlights were and are you looking for?

And La'Mical Perine doesn't even compare to Michael Carter as RB prospects (coming out).

La'Mical Perine (Final Gators season).

#130th in Rushing Yards (676 rush yards).

#89th in All-Purpose Yards from Scrimmage (938).

#118th in Average Yards per Rush Attempt (5.1 ypc).

That's a big difference in terms of production because Michael Carter just ranked...

Michael Carter:

#1 in the Country in Average Yards per Rush Attempt (8.0 yards per carry)

#4th in rushing yards (1,245).

#13th in All-purpose yards from Scrimmage (1,512).

1, 4 & 13 in the Nation vs 89, 118 & 130?!?

200+ rushing yards vs. an awesome Miami U Defense.

As a longtime FSU fan this Michael Carter kid reminds me so much of our smaller, quicker and explosive dual-threat RBs such as Warrick Dunn, Leon Washington, Dalvin Cook and Cam Akers in terms of electricity (and that's probably because Michael Carter is a born and raised Florida kid who took his talents to UNC).

I'm sorry. But I don't know what you were looking @ while you were watching La'Mical Perine film; because he was NO, Michael Carter...

#22 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  3. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

2nd time Sabo has said this
    "All in all, the difference in processing speed and mental proficiency between Wilson and his predecessor has been noticeable to those in attendance."

i always said, seems Sam is late all the time... ball coming out AFTER the break... et cet

coloradojet, Noam, Lon Chaney and 2 others like this.
  4. DefenseWinsChampionships

With my Elijah Moore segment?

I'd like to get my brag on and celebrate (and one that you don't want to TL;DR miss).

People are already saying in OTAs that he looks like an offensive weapon that Jet fans have never (ever) seen before, and I believe them.

Because over 6 months ago (January of 2020) I created an Elijah Moore thread during a time where no Jets fans were even talking about him (myself included, and then it happened);

and this is what I said about him...

Defense Wins Championships Wrote: (12/4/2020)

Although I wasn't one of them (had never once scouted him) there were a handful of passionate Patrick Mahomes Jet fans heading into the 2017 NFL draft. They just knew they were watching and seeing something special (I hope you Zach Wilson day one shot callers saw it too).

I feel like this with Elijah Moore. From the moment I saw his first snap I was fish hooked.

And when he was still available after the 1st round? I felt sick.

Because I just watched Jaxonville draft two of my favorite players at each position in Trevor Lawrence (QB) and Travis Etienne (RB).

I thought for sure with the 1st pick of the 2nd round they'd draft Elijah Moore while creating themselves an offensive Rookie QB/RB/WR trio (of Trevor Lawrence/Travis Etienne/Elijah Moore).

I was wrong. They passed on him for a CB!

I started to feel even sicker.

I was 100% certain our Jets Franchise was about to pull an Idzik/Maccagnan and pass up on Elijah Moore for one of either Landon Dickerson (Center) or Christian Barmore (DT) or Jevon Holland (S) leaving me with 2nd Rd. feelings of Allen Robinson and Dalvin Cook, all over again.

Nope. Not this time.

J.D earned my forever trust when we drafted Elijah Moore and Jacksonville Jaguars fans down here in Florida will soon one day never forgive neither one of their GM Trent Baalke or Head Coach Urban Meyer for passing up on Elijah Moore (for Trevor Lawrence) and instead drafted a CB. With only 1 career INT. in 3 years. And missed a lot of gms because of injury; Tyson Campbell.

The last time we drafted a WR talent, like this?

21 years ago (2001).
    1st round (16th overall).

Santana Moss.
    5'10 / 193 lbs.
    Miami U.

And not even Santana Moss could compare to 5'10 Elijah Moore coming out...

Elijah Moore: 2019-2020 (combined).

20 Games Played.
    153 Receptions.
    2,043 Receiving yards. .
    14 TD Receptions.

Vs.

Santana Moss: 1999-2000 (combined).

23 Games Played.
    99 Receptions.
    1,647 Receiving Yards.
    11 TD Receptions.

We just landed something really special for Zach Wilson in Elijah Moore.

And oh yeah. 1999 was my first year in Florida and first year away from Queens (John Adams) @ a new school here in St. Petersburg. Northeast high. And those kids who ran faster than I ever saw any kids run in NY? They were screaming SANTANA MOSS in P.E. Come 2001's draft night two years later? They had me screaming 1st round sideline Santana!

I hope you all enjoyed my Elijah Moore segment, featuring Santana Moss and I'll leave us with this...

#24 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 8, 2021
  5. DefenseWinsChampionships

True. But I really couldn't care less about how 83's draft class turned out because all I know is that it's been since before I was born (1985) that we've had an NYJ front office who just utilized their first 4 draft picks all on offense @ QB/LG/WR/RB.

Just look at my username.
    This feels different man.
    This feels refreshing;
    For an Offensive starved fan base.

Throughout JD's first two drafts, we've drafted more 1st and 2nd round O-Lineman and WR's than all of our previous GMs throughout our previous 13 (damn near 15) drafts/years did combined.

2020-2021 Joe Douglas: Two Years.

2020: 1st Round. Mekhi Becton (LT).
    2020: 2nd Round. Denzel Mims (WR).
    2021: 1st Round. Alijah Vera-Tucker (LG).
    2021. 2nd Round. Elijah Moore (WR).

Vs.

Dating back to 2007: 14 years ago.

: 2nd Round. Vlad Ducasse (G).
    2012: 2nd Round. Stephen Hill (WR).
    2015: 2nd Round. Devin Smith (WR).

Only 3 WR's/O-Lineman drafted within the first two rounds and 0 being of 1st rounders?

And we've wondered as a fan base why we've had 0 offenses within an Offensive driven league?

J.D is already my favorite Jets GM of All-Time after only two drafts.

He's already attacked Offense early and often (throughout the 1st two rounds) with 5 picks and used all 5 picks on Offense (QB/LT/LG/WR/WR).

• And he's not stopping there.

• Not with his QB hopeful Zach Wilson he's not.

• And not with 4 picks alone within the first two rounds come 2022's NFL draft he won't.

✓ Joe Douglas is just getting started.

Heck. He's even focused and zoomed in on RB with Michael Carter and La'Mical Perine; investing two 4th round picks (skilled player position).

Everyone is already predicting for us to go Defense @ 4-3 DE and CB next year during the 1st round.

But not me (I know what JD is doing, you can just see it).

1st round:
    Evan Neal. OT. Alabama

(forming a JD trio of 1st rounders in Becton, Vera-Tucker and Evan Neal for Zach Wilson @ LT/LG/RT).

I wish we would've 2008 drafted Duane Brown @ OT instead of Vernon Gholston to continue building around Ferguson and Mangold.

1st round:
    Jalen Wydermyer. TE. Texas A&M.

(The Kyle Pitts of 2022 @ 6'5/265lbs).

With a sick WR trio in Corey Davis, Denzel Mims and Elijah Moore with Cole replacing Jamison @#4? J.D isn't passing on an opportunity to COMPLETE Zach Wilson's passing attack with a freak TE.

And throughout the 2nd round (x2) on Robert Saleh will be able to draft his Defensive prospects throughout the remainder of the draft.

We've finally landed an offensive minded GM and he's rejuvenating our fan base; I already can't wait for 2022's draft with 4 freaking picks within the first 2 rounds;

(will be so fun for us rooting for Jets wins + Seattle/Carolina loses).

#25 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 8, 2021
    Jets79 likes this.
  6. DefenseWinsChampionships

I've already provided my (separate) Zach Wilson and Elijah Moore segments;

So I'll use this post (below) as my Michael Carter segment vol. 3.0 (in hopes to make you a little more excited about this blue chip RB).

Not sure how you were equally impressed, when there is no comparison?

Michael Carter: Final UNC season.

#1st in the Country in Average Yards per Rush Attempt (8.0 yards per carry)

#4th in Rushing Yards (1,245 yards rushing).

#13th in All-purpose yards from Scrimmage (1,512 yards from scrimmage).

Vs.

La'Mical Perine: Final Gators season.

#118th in Average Yards per Rush Attempt (5.1 yards per carry).

#130th in Rushing Yards (676 yards rushing).

#89th in All-Purpose Yards from Scrimmage (938 yards from scrimmage).

I don't know what you were seeing man..

La'Mical had a career high of only 138 rushing yards.

vs.

Carter had 6 games of at least 138 rushing yards with games consisting of...

148 yards rushing.
    157 yards rushing.
    159 yards rushing.
    165 yards rushing.
    214 yards rushing.
    308 yards rushing.

Najee Harris and Travis Etienne received all the RB hype (from myself as well) and went back to back in the 1st round; but it's this Michael Carter kid who could be the best RB talent of them all.

Najee Harris: 251 rushing attempts for 1,446 rushing yards (5.8 yards per carry) and 26 rushing TDs.

43 receptions for 425 receiving yards and 4 TD receptions;

1,891 All-purpose yards from scrimmage and 30 offending TDs.

Vs.

Michael Carter: 156 rushing attempts for 1,245 rushing yards (8.0 yards per carry) and 9 rushing TDs.

25 receptions for 267 receiving yards and 2 TD receptions.

1,512 All-purpose yards from scrimmage and 11 offensive TDs.

Vs

Travis Etienne: 168 rushing attempts for 914 rushing yards (5.4 rushing yards per carry) and 14 rushing TDs.

48 receptions for 588 receiving yards and 2 TD receptions;

1,502 All-purpose yards from scrimmage and 16 offering TDs. .

And just look @ who's ranked in the middle of two 1st round RBs in Najee Harris and Travis Etienne; who went back to back (24th & 25th overall).

I absolutely loved Najee and Etienne and I'm just thankful that we've stolen a RB talent who can pound for pound rank up against them; within having to use a 1st (instead, a 4th).

And none of the same can be said about La'Mical Perine while coming out...

Not blazing fast but he's A+ athletic with lightning quickness. And his footwork @ RB is incredible. His footwork is off the charts.

#26 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 8, 2021
  7. DefenseWinsChampionships

2020's draft complimented 2021's to a 'T'.

QB: Zach Wilson.
    LT: Mekhi Becton.
    LG: Alijah Vera-Tucker.
    WR: Denzel Mims.
    WR: Elijah Moore.

When's the last time our Front Office dedicated their first 5 picks throughout the first two rounds during only a 2 year period all on, Offense?

And what's scary is Joe Douglas will have another 4 picks throughout the first two rounds in just 2022 alone (crazy).

Jets (1st).
    Seattle (1st).
    Jets (2nd).
    Panthers (2nd).

And now we're trying to remix and edit his first two drafts?

Nuts.

And we could've had our choice of other promising O-Lineman?

Vera-Tucker was ranked as the Country's #1 ranked interior O-Lineman and weeks leading up to the draft J.D knew we'd have to trade up for him (which they did). To protect Zach Wilson.

And now Mekhi Becton and Vera-Tucker can become our next version of our Brick-of-Gold in D'Brickishaw and Mangold;

And you want to, change that?
    And no. I wouldn't change Elijah Moore for DeVonta Smith. I was screaming for Elijah Moore for 6 months now.

Elijah finished #2 in both receiving yards and Receptions only behind DeVonta Smith.

The difference?

Elijah Moore wasn't surrounded by an SEC NFL Offense like DeVonta Smith was ala 1st round picks in Mac Jones (QB), Najee Harris (RB), Jaylen Waddle (WR) and Alex Leatherwood (OT) along with another 2nd Rd. Center (Landon Dickerson); Which made De'Vonta Smith's SEC job a whole lot easier than Elijah Moore's (within the same SEC Conference).

Elijah Moore?

Royce Newman. OG. 4th round (142 overall).
    Kenny Yeboah. TE. Undrafted.

Huge difference.

Every SEC Defense knew Elijah Moore was Ole Mississippi's only true A+ X-Factor of an Offensive threat; all while Smith was able to be surrounded by Waddle/Najee and an Alabama A+ O-Line.

I guarantee you that if you put De'Vonta Smith on Ole Mississippi's offense last year?

That he would'nt have been able to put up the #'s within the SEC that Elijah Moore was able to record.

Elijah Moore only played 8 games.
    DeVonta Smith played a full 13 games.

And that's the only reason why Elijah Moore didn't finish #1 in both Receptions and receiving yards.

Smith: 9.0 catches for 142 receiving yards (per game). 1.7 TDs per game.

Moore: 10.7 catches and 149 receiving yards (per game). 1.0 TDs per game.

But yet you're talking Smith over Moore instead?

Nuts.

Put Elijah Moore on that juggernaut Alabama Offense last year and Elijah Moore easily becomes the #1 and first WR drafted of 2021 (unstoppable).

PS: Elijah Moore is a good 20 pounds heavier than De'Vonta Smith but yet ran a 4.35 40; all while Smith refused to run his 40.

#27 DefenseWinsChampionships, Jun 8, 2021
    NCJetsfan and LogeSection2RowJ like this.
  8. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Looking at this measurements I think we have a new nickname for our offense: the lollipop guild

9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Big agree here +3300 on DKs to win OROY right now
    [​IMG]

patleahy likes this.
  10. DefenseWinsChampionships

I absolutely already love both Michael Carter (RB) and especially Elijah Moore (WR), but if Zach Wilson doesn't win Offensive Rookie of the Year; none of our other Jets will.

Zach Wilson @ +800 is the best bet.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  11. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

It's allergy season again.

12. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

The last statement is just not true at all. If Carter went for 2000 total yards and 15 TDs (Barkleys 2018 stats) Wilson would need to have a Herbert type year to beat him.

13. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Processing and release. Wilson's release is lightning quick.

14. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

This should be an interesting season - most likely no playoffs - but providing you keep your expectations low considering its such a young team with a new administration, it should be fun.

You’re still young - a lot of us have been through new starts countless times ...

patleahy and FJF like this.
  15. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I am very excited for the offense this coming season. I truly believe we WON'T hate watching it which is a massive step forward from where we have been.

16. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Lol

REVISion likes this.
  17. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

There’s literally a .01% chance Carter gets those numbers.

18. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

As others stated, my point was more about not being influenced by prepared highlight reels at this point. DWC, you've provided lots of detailed content which is appreciated. And the point you've made today about Moore vs. Smith and the talent they had around them is spot-on. Thanks.

19. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

also... he does not have the funky mechanics that Sam has, stepping in the bucket et cet...

and all the breakdowns last year that Sabo did where he'd make comments that baiscally said Sam didntg know what he was looking at.

now its a huge leap to go there... but... was Sam a subavg, or "stupid" QB?

i never remember anybody saying how he processed really well or any of thos comments that have to do w/ football QB IQ.

REVISion, Lon Chaney and Noam like this.
  20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Wilson Elijah Carter would make a nice law firm.

Brook!, HomeoftheJets and REVISion like this.