Roster Moves

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, May 5, 2021.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

They lost the heart and soul of their coaching staff. And they already know their QB can't get them over the hump. If I was Sherman I'd RUN to the Jets!

barfolomew likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

3. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

he is good but he is a slot WR and we have also just signed one and drafted one and JC is @:$10m and that is the problem.

Though the fact they are trying to negotiate his contract downwards makes me wonder why they didn't just try and trade him for a draft pick or two earlier tbh.

barfolomew likes this.
  5. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

He probably won't last now in any regard. I'm thinking the only reason the Jets didn't shop him previously was because they weren't sure who they'd land (heh) in the draft. Nothing wrong with a little depth, but $ is $, I guess. I'll laugh if he agrees. It's not like he can have a conflict of interest and sell JC water like Tom Cheat at Cheatsette.

Hah, for a second there I thought JC was for Jerricho Cotchery @K'OB. What a gamer that guy was, who the Jets coincidentally somewhat screwed over $. What he lacked in speed he made up for with great hands.

[​IMG]

You should've been here when he was drafted. The misspellings of his name were up there with Matt Leinart, which you also missed. I used to call Cotchery The Crotch, and then he suffered a groin injury. : / Oh, and speaking of Leinart, hahahaha.

[​IMG]

That was the best.

barfolomew, Footballgod214 and K'OB like this.
  6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Because they want him in the team just not at 10m . They bring it up now that the market has dried up a bit and he doesn’t have the leverage he would have had in April.

barfolomew, Noam and Leicester Jet like this.
  7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I really hope we can keep him.

Maybe converting some of the pay cut to incentives makes the deal work for both sides.

barfolomew and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. K'OB

And if they want him that is fine but pissing him off along the way is probably not the best idea

What leverage do you think he has lost?

10m contract, doesn't lower his wage/contract Jets release him and he signs with a new team the next day/week, you surely don't think another team wouldn't snap him up if we released him?

barfolomew likes this.
  9. FJF

Not at 10m so he has to decide if he stays at whatever the Jets offer or move and hope he can get more than the Jets current offer. He would have had more leverage when teams had more cap. At this point in the year the money has dried up. Teams are not looking to spend. My guess he is looking at 6m this year, just a matter of who gives it to him.

patleahy likes this.
  10. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Good post. It's often very confusing. I remember when Kris Jenkins got paid for not tipping the scales in the wrong direction. I get paid a huge bonus if I'm not fatter than yesterday, haha. I also remember when D'Brickahsaw Ferguson got a $500,000.00 conditioning bonus. I loved that guy (and still do); but paying someone to shuffle papers when your job is to be a paper shuffler is hilarious to me. Sorry I couldn't think of a better parallel.

At the end of the day the NFL will just step over your body, so what difference does it really make.

EDIT: Autocorrect, rrrrrmmmmph.

#70 jetophile, Jun 6, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    barfolomew likes this.
  11. K'OB

I didn't say he would move for 10m but any team will pay what the Jets offer, so what leverage do the Jets gain by pissing off somebody they want to keep?

I don't disagree that 10m is too much but they offered him that deal and he signed it, honour it or risk losing the player or keeping a pissed off player on 10m who is then not going to be putting a full shift in and saving himself for a new team (possibly) the next season.

If he doesn't renegotiate will the Jets cut him, try to trade him or keep him at 10m?

barfolomew likes this.
  12. FJF

He’s 28 years old. He can’t do anything but play hard if he wants another shot at a legit multi year contract The Jets did honor the contract, he got all his guaranteed money, the players and agents know what a non guaranteed year means. They knew this was coming the moment Elijah Moore’s name was written on the card. This is life in a capped sport. If he doesn’t negotiate he’ll be given permission to seek a trade and but he’ll have to negotiate with another team, no one is giving up anything valuable for him on a 1 year 10m deal.

barfolomew, Noam and K'OB like this.
  13. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The leverage the jets has is there is no market left for a 10 million dollar slot WR and that the Jets can wait until the end of camp to cut him. Teams do not have cap space and they have already committed to other players. Releasing him in August and he might be lucky to get 5 million. They did the same thing with Lewis they waited unil the market was gone and then renegotiated. The question is if they do not come to an agreement will the Jets cut him now out of respect or wait until the end of training camp as that would put maximum pressure on him to take a lower deal. Waiting until the end of camp protects the Jets against injuries but cutting him sooner shows respect for what he has done as a Jet.

14. FJF

I think JD cuts him as soon as they understand there’s no deal to be made. There’s a line between cutthroat and hardball negotiations. He’s shown last year with McClendon that he has respect for the players I think he’ll do right by crowder

15. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I agree Crowder is a respected presence in the locker room and the wrong guy to play hardball with which is why I think JD would like to get a deal done now. But, they do not need to cut him if a deal does not get worked out. They can see how things play out and how he fits in the pecking order of WRs and see if the other WRs stay healthy. But the threat of possibly cutting him at the end of camp is a motivating factor in Crowder signing a deal now. This threat can be made without JD saying anything just by simply keeping him on the roster. The upside for Crowder is if he waits and someone gets injured then he is a lot more valuable.

barfolomew, NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  16. Footballgod214

but that catch...

barfolomew likes this.
  17. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

This sucks...he’s been a great player for us...I don’t minimize a receiver because he’s a slot receiver....so was Edelman....anyone think he wasn’t a HUGE asset to the Pats? A receiver is a receiver. Get open, catch the ball, make plays. Don’t give a shit where he lines up.

I love that we have some depth now, but this is so typical Jets behavior in how we’ve treated our better players. We never pay them, Keyshawn, Abraham, were so quick to trade instead of pay.

we are not hurting for cap room...in fact I thought we had the second most, no? Mims is hurt again and we’re not even in training camp yet....and while he showed flashes last year, he hasn’t proven anything yet....least of all that he can play a full season. Davis was a nice pickup, but he’s had one good year in a contract year, so not a sure thing. Moore was a great pick but he’s not played a down yet. Berrios is a #4/#5 receiver to me. So tell me again why we don’t need Crowder? The one receiver we have who has actually had sustained success on the field?

I don’t like this move. It’d be nice at some point to actually have a nice stable of dependable WRs for a rookie fucking QB.

I like what JD has done for the most part, but he fucked up with Robbie and he’s fucking this one up too in my mind.

blackssmagic likes this.
  18. Footballgod214

Presser after Crowder signs his new $6m deal:

"I love the game and woulda played for free!"

JD: "I woulda payed ya $12M!!!"

Noam likes this.
  19. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I think JD will recall early last year when injuries decimated our WR core to the point that Chris Hogan and Jeff Smith were the best Wrs on the team. last year had to the jets worst receiving core since 2013 where Kerley was playing injured all year and Nelson was our best WR with Clyde Gates knowing he could have been the number one guy if he did not injured and go on IR.If JD cuts Crowder now and there are injuries he opens himself up to a lot of criticism. Hopefully they can work something out.

Jets79 likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Mims is not hurt. He's been sick.