2022 Prospects to look at

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GasedAndConfused, May 5, 2021.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

unless wilson gets hurt I don't see that happening

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If they don't play well this year, then I wouldn't let it stop me from taking a top edge next year either. IMO this year there was no point in it with all the other holes and needs we had. and most importantly, the need to build around Wilson. DE was not a critical need this year. JD signed Lawson, Curry, & Rankins. Already Q.William, JFM, Huff, and Zuniga, and needed to find out how they performed, and also signed a DE as a UDFA. We have plenty of DEs for this year. As it is, there won't be enough reps to go around. It would have been counterproductive to draft a DE, and would have hurt building around Wilson. Next year, when we have two 1sts and two 2nds and there are supposed to be several blue chip DE prospects in the draft, that will be the time to draft a DE.

westiedog1 and joelip like this.
  3. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Top priority needs

RG
    TE
    DE
    CB
    LB
    RT
    C

4. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Somebody mentioned him last night on our stream....was it you?

5. PennyandtheJets

Those in order by greatest need or just a list?

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Nah but I have high hopes for him wherever he ends up. He's a better prospect than Okudah was IMO and Okudah was a monster.

I expect him to have an immediate impact ala how Ramsey did. I don't think there will be a steep learning curve like what is usually seen for corners in their rookie year.

CotcheryFan and PennyandtheJets like this.
  7. PennyandtheJets

No worries. Yeah the dude who mentioned him spoke very highly of him like you are.

I am looking forward to watching him this fall!

8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It would be a dream come true if we ended up with him and Zach Harrison in round 1.

9. GasedAndConfused

I like him but really want to see him produce this year. right now he's just an athletic freak who hasn't produced and really don't want the next gholston or maybin. If he produces this year i'd grab him if we can, but if he doesn't I may just rather pass

10. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Just a list. I think JD looks at his holes and takes the best player out of those several holes. It’s the Jimmy Johnson way at drafting. In my opinion it’s the only way.

It happened with Elijah Moore and Michael Carter for example. We all know our top priority after QB/OL was definitely CB but we had a need for a WR that has speed in this offence. Most thought that would come later in the draft BUT JD had Elijah Moore ranked higher than the next CB/RB/LB/OL. The Michael Carter was the exact same scenario. You could actually argue every pick was that same scenario. He targets his position of needs and takes the best player available out of those needs.

We have a gem when it comes to philosophy on drafting. JD has it down cold on how it’s supposed to be done. Now we need to see what his eye for talent is. You need both to succeed and win the trophy.

Lon Chaney and PennyandtheJets like this.
  11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Who'll be the frontrunners in the quarterback class?

12. GasedAndConfused

this board isn't mature enough to handle that question lol

westiedog1 and Lon Chaney like this.
  13. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

My guess is the top 2 names we will be heading about come next spring are MALIK WILLIS from Liberty and SPENCER RATTLER from Oklahoma.

I really like Oklahoma's chances this year at a national title. I put them in to win at +750.

14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Kaiir Elam, CB from Florida is someone to consider if we fall out of the Stingley sweepstakes.

15. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Could be interesting to watch. I'm curious to see if Jack Coan from Long Island will up his game now that he has moved from Wisconsin to Notre Dame.

16. GasedAndConfused

I really like sam howell. reminds me of a better baker mayfield on the field but without the attitude off the field

Lon Chaney likes this.
  17. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Without knowing anything about the class, I would think OL and EDGE will be the Jets top targets this year in the first round. I think in general, those will be the top two needs most years.

JD will continue to build the trenches. WR/CB will probably both be targets in the second round, depending on how the rookies and sophomores look this year.

Having said that, I wouldnt be shocked if JD packaged some picks for a star receiver if one shakes loose. It obviously depends on Zach's play, as well as the WR market. I could definitely see them making a similar move to Buffalo getting Diggs

18. NCJetsfan

How would it be a dream come true? Harrison may be a great athlete, but he hasn't produced much of anything on the football field. That hardly meets the definition of a "dream come true" unless your standards have sunk. Right now, he looks more like a nightmare ala Vernon Gholston.

19. NCJetsfan

I would be shocked if JD traded for a star receiver. That's not his modus operandi. With Mims, Davis and Moore we could have a great WR corps as it is. I see no need for burning draft capital trading for a WR. He can draft another WR or two in the 2022 draft if he's concerned. We need a starting-caliber, reliable TE more than we need a "star" WR, and we may need two TEs. We may need a RT or RG. We'll probably need a #1 CB. We could very easily need DE, 2 LBs, 1-2 RBs, and maybe a S or two and better OL depth.

20. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

You may be right. I wouldn't be overly disappointed either way. I like the direction of the team as it is now. Personally, I think he might look at what the Bills did to help Josh Allen get to MVP candidate status.

What if someone like AJ Brown shakes loose and can be had for a 1st and a 3rd. If you think that move propels your guy to Josh Allen levels, I'd be disappointed if that trade wasn't looked at because the Jets need to use a first rounder on a TE.
    Not to mention, that would still leave the Jets with a 1st and two 2nds. Can address RT/TE/CB right there.

I'm not saying he's going to do that, but I'd absolutely be on board if he did.

NCJetsfan likes this.