Jets all time 53 man roster

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJW, May 23, 2021.

1. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

NYJetsO12 and westiedog1 like this.
  2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Mawae over Mangold and Toon over Cherbet are the easy fixes.

Jets81, alleycat9, westiedog1 and 3 others like this.
  3. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Lance Mehl, Ralph Baker, Jim Hudson, Billy Baird
    Mawae > Mangold

4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Chrebet v Toon isn't a fix they both make the squad one in the slot and the other WR4 they aren't really a comparable swap.

They picked Chrebet for the slot no fix required imo.

Fair enough on the C but a tough choice all the same, what we wouldn't give for either one right now.

#4 K'OB, May 24, 2021
    Last edited: May 24, 2021
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Looking at this list broadly, there's a big weakness in playmaking abilities.

Chrebet was an excellent slot receiver and possession type. And Curtis Martin of course was a workhorse back. But you literally have to go back to the 80s (Wesley Walker & Freeman McNeil) to find explosive Jets players that could score on any given play. Were talking almost 40 years ago, no wonder we dont win

The author seems to have done his research though, I respect it

Jets81, Ralebird, alleycat9 and 5 others like this.
  6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Agree....literally decades of horrible drafting....and we rarely kept the few good players we did draft past their first contracts....

7. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

My take FWIW based on who I thought was the better player at the position regardless of longevity but a min of 2 yrs.

Quarterback: Testaverde over Pennington. Pennington had the longevity, but Vinnie was just a better QB when he played here.
    Running back: Riggins over Boozer.
    Tight ends: Dustin Keller over Pete Lammons.
    Guard: Pete Kendall should be in the Snub category. One of the best I saw at the position and completely underrated. Jets very stupid not to re-sign him.
    Center: Mawae over Mangold.
    Linebacker: Lance Mehl over everyone
    Special Teams Kicker: John Hall best - While no Jets kicker was that great, at least Hall was reasonably consistent and could win you a game from long distance. Also loved to hit people if they got past the coverage. Nick Folk would be my second choice because he was fairly reliable. Leahy missed too many clutch FG's for my taste.

8. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I love Greg Buttle, but Lance Mehl belongs on the list over him.
    Mehl is the most obvious player that is not on the list at all who should be.

I wouldn’t nitpick on the Center position all 3 were great, Joe Fields may be the best of the 3 but got little recognition because of Mike Webster on the Steelers.

I think if it is the all time team, years played with Jets is a factor, Riggins played almost two time more years with similar overall production, but with Jets had 1 thousand yard season to 4 with skins and much better TD production with Skins.

Vinny only played 3 fulls seasons and only was real good in one of them. While Vinny’s 1 season in 1998 is better than any of Chad’s, overall Chad tops him in just about every statistical category as Jet. Really a tough call but I think Chad is the right one.

KR is also a tough one with only 1 selection, Brad Smith and Bruce Harper an argument could be made for, but Leon is also worthy.

westiedog1 likes this.
  9. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

chrebet while a fan favorite is just not a top player or an all time player on any team.

James Hasty likes this.
  10. Section 336

For the NY Jets at the WR position he is.
    Chrebet was clutch in catches on third down for firsts. He had great hands and ran great routes.
    Fun Fact, Chrebet and Jerry Rice After their first, second, third and fourth seasons guess who had more career receptions? You got it Chrebet.
    Obviously Rice is probably the best WR All time, so I am not claiming anything of the sort, but Chrebet was a hell of a lot better than some give him credit for.

K'OB likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I can understand your point to some degree. However Chrebet is 2nd all-time in receptions and TD receptions and 3rd in receiving yards. If you make an all time Jets list that includes more than 2 WRs, Chrebet's name simply has to be on it.

Production matters

12. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Steve Sommers used to call Wayne Chrebet "The Lilliputian'. He said it with respect and admiration very early in Chrebet's career, unlike Fatcesa and Russo who derisively crapped all over him. Chrebet was the only good thing that Kotite ever did.

Someone should write a book and call out every sportscaster that was horribly wrong about everything they ever said. Fatty carpet bombs the Jets because it's the easy (and ratings) thing to do. Hell, I do it all the time; but I'm a fan and I have an emotional investment. Apologize when you're wrong, asshole.

13. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

They actually started the same number of games as Jets. Chad lead teams went to the playoffs 3 times vs. Vinnies 2 (Chad was the starter for Vinnies 3rd playoff run with the Jets I believe). Their career stats as Jets were similar with Chad having a slight edge in TD’s and a larger one in accuracy.

Chad’s team murdered the Colts in one of the most enjoyable Jets games I’ve ever watched. Vinnies team was a half away from the Super Bowl and that season was the best season I’ve ever witnessed the Jets have from start to finish.

Neither had a great career with the Jets so I’d say that they’re (imo) pretty much interchangeable for the 3rd spot depending on how you weigh certain categories. I give the nod to Pennington since he was actually home grown talent which doesn’t seem like much but with the Jets it’s actually quite impressive (from a historical point of view).

westiedog1 likes this.
  14. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Keyshawn and Coles were easily better.

Toon was on a level higher than all three.

Jets81 likes this.
  15. westiedog1

Excellent points but I would still take Vinnie because you're comparing a guy who came here at the end of his career vs. a player who was beginning his. If Vinnie was 22 when he first started playing for the Jets, it probably would have been a much different history. In addition, I felt Chad's lack of arm held him back considerably, so statistics aside, Vinnie, to me, was the stronger QB and wasn't limited by what he could do in the passing game.

Jets81 likes this.
  16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

For a single game I’d choose peak Vinnie over peak Chad.

17. westiedog1

That's the point I was trying to make. I always said that if Chad had a stronger arm, he would have been one of the all-time greats because he had everything else you want in a QB. It always seems that when something good comes to the Jets, there's a caveat.

18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

People bitching about a guy that is top 3 on the Jets all-time TD's list, Receptions list and actual yards gained list.

But he isn't good enough for any fantasy all-time Jets squad, only on here could that happen.

Ridiculous.

19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

20. Section 336

Except Vinny was god awful at the beginning of his career in 6 seasons with TB he had 52% completion % with 2 seasons under 50%.
    He had 77 TDs to 112 INTs, 35 in his first full season.
    If Vinny had started his career with Jets he probably would have been benched and tossed to scrap heap, he would have not even lasted the 6 seasons he did in Tampa.