Your excitement level for 2021

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, May 21, 2021.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I got into the hype and renewed my season ticket.

I am a realist. I don't think we are playoff bound but I also think this team will be in every home game. Win or lose, an exciting 9 home games will happen.

We will also be competitive on the road and maybe sneak 2-3 wins.

If things break our way, we might still play meaningful games past Thanksgiving.

That said, I am pretty darn excited for the upcoming season.

How about you guys?

2. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

I agree with everything you said, Brook! I expect the team to be competitive in just about every single game. I see a lot of "50/50" games on our schedule that are hard to predict. I think it is going to be a pretty exciting season with a lot of close games that come down to the final few possessions.

#2 patleahy, May 21, 2021
    Last edited: May 21, 2021
    Noam and Brook! like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm definitely excited about this season! I'm more excited and hopeful than I've been in a long, long time. I'm excited to see how our CS is/works, Wilson, our offense, our pass rush, our D, our STs, and how the team progresses/develops.

matt robinson 17, Noam and patleahy like this.
  4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'd say I'm currently in between a Bowles and a Saleh.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. patleahy

@HomeoftheJets looks like our new coach prefers the low-cut/no show socks.

6. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I know not to get my expectations high with this team. I'm cautiously optimistic. All the more I'm willing to give until proven otherwise.

RPOZ51, REVISion, K'OB and 1 other person like this.
  7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

You have to be excited right now or it is pointless being a fan, we look like we have a future and until that is proven not to be true I am all in on the JD, Saleh and Wilson boat.

In November I may be found swinging from my scarf again but until then it is all gas baby, all gas.

#7 K'OB, May 22, 2021
    Last edited: May 22, 2021
    nycarl, Brook!, REVISion and 4 others like this.
  8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

This is the first time I have been excited about the team since 2018. Anytime you take a new QB there is hope and excitement. Add in that team finally seems to be in competent hands (in JD and RS) and building the right way. Not to mention we finally have decent weapons and the beginnings of a decent OL and there is a lot to be excited about. I am hoping that this will be year one in a decade or two of team success. But then again anything without Gase is an improvement but we look to be actually building a long term plan rather than our normal short term fixes. I can't wait for camp to start in July.

Brook!, REVISion and K'OB like this.
  9. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Nervous, and cautiously optimistic.

I just hope that they can keep the kid from getting beat up.

Brook! likes this.
  10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This!

Spring is the time of the year our 'Excitement Curve' maxis out.

Noam likes this.
  11. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

New coaching staff that seems to be well respected throughout the league by both players and management.

New "franchise" QB

10 draft picks this year (plus 12 udfa).
    9 draft picks from last year (plus 2 returning udfa)
    2 key free agent signings.
    3 role player free agent signings.

This is going to be a completely different team. Add in 11 draft picks next year (5 premium picks).

If you can't get yourself excited now, why bother.

12. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I am excited for this season. Certainly there will be improvement from 2-14 but how much better is what adds to the excitement. I think we can leap frog over the Pats, but Buffalo and Miami will remain tough.

The real test of the Douglas/Saleh regime will come 3 years from now. Everyone was excited when Herm was hired, 3 years later we were calling for his head. Everyone was excited when Mangini was hired, 3 years later we were calling for his head. And so forth and so on. Three years from now, if we're not hiring airplanes to fly over Met Life Stadium, it will be a good sign.

NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

"Meaningful" football after Halloween is all I hope for at this point. Just hoping to not be 1-5 or 0-6 and absolutely buried.

But yes, I'm pretty excited. The only time I've felt this hopeful since the AFCCG's is when we hired Bowles and he got ringing endorsements from the likes of Parcells, Arians, etc.

Brook! likes this.
  14. horsehead

horsehead Well-Known Member

I'm always hyped up for the beginning of the season. All the way baby!!!

And then I wake up and it becomes opening day 1999.

Brook! and patleahy like this.
  15. patleahy

@horsehead ^^^One of the biggest GUT PUNCHES I can remember as a Jets fan. I still remember sitting at home watching that game, being absolutely stunned when Vinny went down as soon as the season started. :(

horsehead and westiedog1 like this.
  16. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

Meh, become so numb to the whole Jet franchise I am in a "show me on the field of play" state of mind. I am 59 and started watching the losing at around 10 or so, so I have half of a century of futility and losing to overcome. Have heard the same song many times over the years, new QB, new coaches, great defense, great offense LOL, new this, new that and have bought in several times only to be bitch slapped repeatedly. Not going to allow myself to go there anymore until proven otherwise.

westiedog1, Ralebird and patleahy like this.
  17. patleahy

@AndyDrums Andy, I hear what you are saying. I think there is a "sweet spot" of "realistic optimism/enthusiasm" if you will. I think that there IS legitimate cause for this "realistic optimism" for Jets fans at this point, because by all indications, Saleh JD and Wilson seem to be the right people at the right time for this organization. This team also has more young talent on it then a lot of people give it credit for. HOWEVER, I also think, to your point, that it is important to remember that "seeming" to be the right people for the job and PROVING to be the right people for the job are two entirely different things, and at THIS point, I think a lot of Jets fans are going completely overboard with their optimism, to the point where they are wondering how many Super Bowls Saleh and Wilson are going to lead us to. This unrealistic optimism also manifests itself in the all of the threads about Zach Wilson and all the different ways he seems to be a great young man and leader, etc etc. At this point, I think Jets fans should be enthused about the direction of the organization, but should also be approaching the point where they say, "okay, we seem to be on the right track, but before we declare Saleh and Wilson to be our saviors, let's wait until the rubber meets the road and at least let them coach and play a few games first to see what they actually bring TO THE FIELD, lol.

Ralebird and westiedog1 like this.
  18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I have zero excitement level for this season. I've seen the Jets throw fresh meat to the wolves before. This roster has the least talent on it of the three that have done this recently.

patleahy likes this.
  19. patleahy

@Br4d I understand your concerns regrading the Jets history, BUT I think you sell the roster short when you say that, Brad. This roster DOES have some good young talent on it, dude!

westiedog1 likes this.
  20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I always get more and more excited going into the season. The only time in recent memory I wasn't was the McCown year when we knew we knew our roster was in shambles and people were predicting us to go 0-16. But that turned out to be one of the funnest seasons in the last decade.

Right now my bar is meaningful games after Halloween. But by opening day I'll be sure if things all line up right we will be primed to make a run. I go in sunny side - and end up dark side. This year I'd be happy ending up with just some scattered showers.

barfolomew, westiedog1 and patleahy like this.